fissurectomy with botox in the OR

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

fissurectomy with botox in the OR

Postby Guest » 30 Jan 2008, 21:55

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I first experienced AF eight months ago. After trying everything shy of sugery ( i mean every cream BP med, calcium channel blocker, stool softener, sitz bath, diet, water, fiber, any type of vitamin, lotion or ointment i read about on various websites, and even prayer) I opted to have the fissurectomy with botox treatments on Monday. The botox was my second course, the first didn't really do anything but my new CRS promised to give me more in the OR and take care of the fissure w/o having to use stitches. Anyways, it's day 3 post OP and I guess you could say I'm doing ok. Today I had my first BM since before the surgery and although I cried and had to sit in a bath immediately, the pain wasn't nearly as bad as before surgery. So yea, just wondering who else has had this procedure and if you have any advice regarding going back to work (i'm supposed to go back Friday night for a 12 hour shift at the hospital, i'm a nurse). Also, when can I start exercising again. All this sitting in bed, eating fiber (and then some:) ) is really starting to show in the belly and chin area. Oh and btw thanks for this incredible sight, I can't believe it took me this long to find it. I'm def gunna be a regular. I've been looking for support for this for a while now. Living with an AF is so depresssing,debilitating, and just a friggin pain in the ass! It sounds like there are some really great ppl on this site who want to help and heal themselves and others. I'm the same way, I'm a nurse for gosh sakes, but I need the taking care of now and I need to know that there is relief somewhere down the line, somewhere close perhaps. Write back if ya have time and thanks for listening.

Re: fissurectomy with botox in the OR

Postby Fissulyna » 30 Jan 2008, 22:12

Dear Lux : ))) - welcome to our forum !!! We are all happy when somebody new join us and share their experience about dealing with
this dreadful condition. It is debilitating and painful beyond the words can describe, and of course when it lasts for months it takes its emotional toll too : (. It is not so easy to find this site, I think we should do something about it . I think many, MANY more people would join than.
Regarding your question - I know that member named Chris had same procedure. He was tricked into it, believe it or not. He went for LIS and when he woke up his doctor informed him that he just did fissurectomy and gave him botox. I think that this is becoming new combo of choice for some doctors - new experiment to see if botox +fissurectomy would give better results than just botox. Theoretically it should because it "imitates" LIS+ fissurectomy that has high healing rate.
I wish you successful and speedy recovery !!! How noble of you to choose nursing profession !!! It would be really cool , to say the least, to have you here regularly : ) ! Please don't be a starnger now that you found us !
:clue:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 31 Jan 2008, 07:01

Hi Erin, welcome aboard! I hope someone who had the actual fissurectomy will be along soon to give you an idea of how their healing went! Glad you found us, though, this is a great place where we all know how debilitating and painful this condition is. Plus there is lots of good advice scattered aound on the site, and lots of good, supportive people!
Hope your BM this morning went well!!
Deleted User 5

Postby val » 31 Jan 2008, 09:07

Hi Erin,
glad you found the site, everybody knows so much and is so supportive and there is always someone who will know the answer to your questions!
Sorry you're suffering, but hopefully your operation will cure all your problems. I dont know about healing after fissurectomy/botox, but I had LIS, fistulotomy, and skin tag removal 3 weks ago, and I have to say, after 8 months of agony, I feel somewhere near to normal. The first 3 days were agony, but after that it improved really quickly. If you're the same, then the worst is over-and the only way is up now!!
Heres wishing you a speedy recovery!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2008, 10:32

Hey Erin,

Welcome to our family! I have not had the same procedures as you but I can sympathize with trying to heal and get to a better place in life. I am happy to hear that you took the steps you needed to start recovering and that already, even with the surgery you are feeling better than before. Isn't that amazing?

We have loads of info here and let me know if you have any question I can help with.

That is so cool you are a nurse. What floor do you work on?

Here's to better and brighter days ahead for you! :(9:

Postby juney » 31 Jan 2008, 11:10

Hi Erin - welcome to the site! this is such a great place for encouragement and advice.
I have not had a fissurectomy or botox, but i have had 2 sphincterotomies, 1 with skin tag removal. I stayed home from work for 2 weeks after each surgery. I'm not sure how the fissurectomy differs, but definitely take it easy for as long as possible after. don't rush back into anything "normal"! a 12 hour shift at the hospital sounds like hell after what you've been through! maybe reconsider that....
also, i think it's really important to keep up with the hot baths - as many as you can everyday for as long as you can. Those are so soothing and can help promote healing. I also took a lot of Ibuprofen to help with swelling and take away the pain.
This is a horrible, debilitating problem, but it will get better!!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 31 Jan 2008, 11:36

Wow thanks for all the kind words of support. Its day four and I called out of work for my Friday shift.I'm a RN and I work on a neurosurgery floor. Anyways, Just had BM #2 and it was worse than the first one. Thought about going out for a few hours but will reconsider. Pain is pretty bad now, 6/10 eekk not too awful. Gunna try yet another bath. I was all dressed and ready to conquer the world, sorta, now back to square one. Things will get better I'm sure :) I'll keep posting and reading and once again thanks so much!

Postby buttgirl » 31 Jan 2008, 14:06

i know your pain. been dealing with this thing for 2 years. I've had abscess surgery, botox, and all the ointments and creams you could imagine. I've finally deceided to go in for the LIS. I recently read an article that said botox is actually slower at healing than LIS, 12wks to 8wks respectively, but maybe the fissurectomy will speed things up.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 01 Feb 2008, 09:48

Goodluck with LIS!

Postby Guest » 01 Feb 2008, 17:17

Good for you go Botox... I am not ready for LIS yet, but I won't forget it is an option for me. I hope you feel better and I hope that surgery works well fo you. Give the Botox time it will take a bit to kick in. Remember we are all here for you.

Patty