fissures and fistulas

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

fissures and fistulas

Postby happyass » 19 Dec 2006, 10:17

does anyone here have both? a fissure and a fistula?
i guess for xmas, i have confirmed today with a visit at the CRS that i have a nice fistula. and apparently my fissure is nearby!!!!
for the last month or so, i thought i had a hemmy or two, but i couldn't be for sure. then for a couple of weeks i felt fine after using this fantastic homeopathic cream for hemmys. during this time, i noticed what felt like a boil. it was a squishy, bubble of fluid right in the same area of where i thought my gone fissure (i thought it was gone but apparently it isn't), that can swell and it can shrink. so naturally, i thought it was a hemmy of sorts.
anyway, for peace of mind and since i was feeling so good in the ass last week, i made a follow up appointment with my CRS. today, he looked and as soon as he said 'fistula' i knew i was fu*Ked!!!!!
only being 36, with another medical condition going on, he finally suggested to get a colonoscopy in 2007. no rush but that it would be a good thing to do. and well, i have wondered and been curious ever since katie couric and rosie o'donnel have had them......i kinda want one.
so he advised that if i decided to do a colonoscopy, that i should get the fistulotomoy and LIS done since he thinks i am just really tight down there and really it will only help to heal.
since i have been dealing with this since 2004, i finally have felt really better the last half of 2006 and well, the only problem that i have had lately is with the fistula that i thought was a hemmy. it burns and feels likes like a hot branding iron poking at me every now and then. but even that has gotten better.
i am not too scared of the colonoscopy as that seems okay but afterwards, the LIS and fistulotomy would take place which would take about an additional 10-15 minutes. overall, all procedures would be under 1 hour 20 minutes unless if they find something in the colonoscopy - which is the only scary thing i guess.
so my fears at this point:
1. the word surgery
2. having some bad news of cancer from the colonoscopy
3. having to deal with unknown pain after the procedure
4. not really knowing what else may have to be done during my surgery that the doctor decides to do
5. i have to believe that i will heal after all this but am scared of not returning back to normal - ie, living in pain for the rest of my life Image
the good news is the doctor gave me some time to think and see if my fistula would get better. although not likely, some patients can heal their fistulas.
where is the fistula support forum???? :lol!:
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Re: fissures and fistulas

Postby Cheryl » 19 Dec 2006, 17:02

What the heck is a FISTULA? Image
I CAN however let you know regarding the LIS - piece of cake :bom: .. the snipping of your ass muscle will indeed aid in the super quick repair of your fissure - and take care of the spasms too.
The pain after surgery is surprising very little, maybe the first day or two you'll be a bit tender - but so long as you keep a strict fibre diet use a temporary stool softener whilst fissure is healing you will be great.
The chances of not having a full recovery from the fissure after surgery are pretty unlikely, going by the stats the CRS's give us.. BUT i always firmly believe that YOU aid in your recovery.. if you stuff your diet up, you could very well stuff your Arse back up!
I suggest reading everyones experiences in the surgery topic - i think you will find that very inspiring!!
Now, back to the Fistuala, Can someone tell me what a Fistula is?? Image
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby happyass » 19 Dec 2006, 17:13

ahhh fistula.
it typically begins as an abcess in your bum!
if it doesn't get any better, chances are that this abcess can turn into a fistula, which is an abcess that ends up with a tunnel that contains the crappy stuff of infection, pus, or just bad junky stuff.
a fistula typically requires surgery in order to get to the tunnel and remove all that bad stuff, clean out the tunnel, and then leave it open - which is called a fistulotomy Image
so my fistula and my fissure are neighbors
:afro:
if this all should happen, it would be colonoscopy, fistulotomy, then fissurectomy/LIS. i imagine i have some nice tags too that would get removed.
so much :bounce: going on down there!!!!!!!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Cheryl » 19 Dec 2006, 19:30

:bounce: :| :bounce: sounds like theres a nasty little party going on down there... :cyclops: Id be looking forward to the surgery if that were me... I know you are freaked out now.. but seriously - could it get any worse???
Im sure your CRS has it all under control and will have you a new ass in no time at all :bom: Chin up... we are all here for you and your butt... and your butts friends... :lol!:
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 30 Dec 2006, 22:37

HOLY CRAP batman... Cheryl is right, sounds like a nasty time your butt is having.. i too will recommend the surgery, its nearly 3 weeks since my op and i am now back at work and living a 'normal' life!!
I dont know anything about fistulas though, sorry..
i hope you can get yourself all fixed up happyass, i tell you it feels wonderful Image

Postby Cheryl » 03 Jan 2007, 22:50

OK Gareth, whats happening with your fissure & your fistula/s Image
Has there been any imrovements of late...???
Here's hoping your ok :bom:
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion