Fistulectomy on the 27th of May... (UPDATED!)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Fistulectomy on the 27th of May... (UPDATED!)

Postby rockpine » 07 May 2011, 20:33

Maurice:
It is good to know that one is not alone with these problems -- this forum is great for that.
My best guess from hearing about the large amount of pain that you experienced with the developing fistula, is that the post-op pain will likely not be near that.
I don't mean to paint a rosy picture of the post-op period, which comes with its own pain and aches, but for me it was definitely better than that pain I remembered when my fistula developed and the sharp and anxiety-driving pain of the fissure along with the other complications that came with it the past couple of years.
Plus, if you couldn't sleep due to the pain of getting the fistula and it was making you ill -- my post-op period has been the opposite of that. I am not back to my full active self yet but...I slept tons the first week (also thanks to the pain meds), the pain lessened each day, and I am continuing to pamper myself (enjoying doing nothing all day) and taking it easy on my bum so that it gets a chance to heal all the way.
My post-op pain is nowhere near the pain of when my rectal problems got bad. Best of all, it is manageable and predictable, unlike worsening rectal problems that may not go away, come on their own terms, and flare up when you get stressed.
Taking care of this now rather than later sounds like a good idea -- I waited 19 years to do the fistulotomy and I should have done it earlier. Even when it was not painful for many years afterwards, it made it harder to wipe and irritated the tissue down there more.
Best of luck and let us know how the procedure goes! Image
rockpine
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Maurice » 21 May 2011, 14:14

UPDATE:
Things got rescheduled for me, guys, and I had my surgery yesterday, Friday, May 20th. My biggest nervousness was the after operation pain. It was certainly painful, 11 on the 10 scale, but some shots of morphine later and I was on cloud nine. The first night was kind of tough, only having fluids, a night in the hospital, and being asked to hold in whatever bowel movements I may have. Today, however, I got to come home. The biggest part of my packing was removed, and the inside packing has to stay for another 48-72 hours or until it falls out on its own. Sitz baths come with every bowel movement, and it's really messy to keep changing the outer packing, but I'm so glad to have this done! Doc says I should be 100% in 6 -8 weeks. Image
Been having watery bowel movements and the like, and I'm allowed to eat my normal diet.
Last edited by Maurice on 21 May 2011, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Postby Elphie » 21 May 2011, 17:10

Congratulations! It's over! Now for the healing! I only had LIS but after reading your post thought I should warn you about that packing! It was shocking and scary but the pain was bearable. I think I'd worked myself up over getting it out, so the fear was the worst. The longer it stays in there I wondered if mine actually absorbed water from my frequent bathing which made it bigger. All turned out ok and everything felt much better after it was out. Good luck and happy healing!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Maurice » 21 May 2011, 18:15

Thanks for the support, Elphie. Yea, I can't wait for this packing to come out. I keep worrying it will get infected, etc, etc - because well, it's in what we consider a very dirty place. My doctor told me up front he didn't want me on antibiotics because that would cause a 'super infection'. He told me that so long as I'm not having any foul discharge, not to worry and leave the packing be. Just keep myself clean, let it work itself to the surface, and make sure to keep the area dry as possible. :)
Oh! I think I should add that my surgeon also did the colonoscopy, but only the lower 1/3rd. See, he's going out of town next week, and instead of leaving me hanging and having to wait until after my own vacation, he changed the schedule and style of my colonoscopy to do the fistulectomy. He said everything up there looked fine. No sign of anything like cancer nor Chron's.
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 May 2011, 18:33

Congratulations, Maurice!! You went through quite a bit there and I really hope you're doing better now. I'm very glad that your colonoscopy results came back and all is okay. I hope you are feeling better very soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby Maurice » 22 May 2011, 13:48

Hope: Thanks so much for the congrats and heal-wishing. ♥
I'm doing better today. Still getting used to the sitz bath schedule and having to change my outer packing. Everything is going well. My mother works as a MA at the very hospital where I had my procedure done, and she says that my incision is one of the cleanest she's seen.
No bowel movement yet today, but I was having lots of watery ones yesterday. I think my stomach is still getting used to solids after that 48 hours of fluids.
I'll keep you guys updated as much as possible.
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 22 May 2011, 17:24

Hey Maurice! I sounds like you are doing quite well, all things considered. It's great that your mum's a nurse - there's nothing better than having it confirmed that your incision is so clean! I take the packing is out now? I hope so - that's uncomfortable to say the least. It may take your system a while to get into a BM routine. I hope your next BM is a nice, softd, fluffy one! And I hope you are resting and doing well. Sending healing vibes your way!
Deleted User 579

Postby rockpine » 23 May 2011, 10:06

Congrats, Maurice, on getting this behind you! Rest well and pamper your butt!
rockpine
Salt Bather

Postby Maurice » 23 May 2011, 12:16

Hope: Yea, nice to have a medical staff on my side. As for the packing, it hasn't quite worked its way out yet. Either tonight or tomorrow. It is rather uncomfortable, but I can manage. :) As for BMs, I had a small one this morning. It was my first solid since the operation, but at least I had one! Everything seems to be in working order.
Rockpine: Way ahead of you. ♥
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 23 May 2011, 12:43

Congratulations on the solid BM! I'm especially impressed that you managed that with packing! Wow! I really hope that packing decides to leave soon.
I'm glad you're getting lots of rest and pampering yourself.
Deleted User 579

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here