flax seed meal

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

flax seed meal

Postby sputnik » 25 Apr 2012, 18:43

hi everyone. I'm on day 5 of stillhaving to push for bm's. Last month eye dr. told me to take flax seed oil for my dry eyes. I still havn't for my stomach has been acting up on and off(colitis). I was wondering about flax seed meal, is that okay for fissures. Are they going to scrap on way out. If i start, do i stop my metamucil which is not helping anymore. I was also thinking of trying out benefiber. What do you think.
sputnik
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Re: flax seed meal

Postby jr2 » 25 Apr 2012, 21:58

Hi Sputnik..
With UC you probably want to be very careful about changes you make to your routine. While it's best to consult with your GI doctor about these kinds of changes, you could probably try a small amount of flax seed to see how you tolerate it. The best way is to buy the seeds whole and grind them into a fine fine baby powder yourself with either a seed grinder or a fine grind coffee grinder. Keep in mind that flax seeds have a bit more insoluble fiber in them (as well as soluble fiber), so if you do introduce them you want to go slow and make sure you tolerate them okay.
flax seed oil actually shouldn't be any problem. Again though, I would go slow to make sure your system isn't bothered by it. Just keep it in the refrigerator to keep it from going rancid. Same thing with the flax seeds.
jr2

Topics: 15

Re: flax seed meal

Postby sputnik » 26 Apr 2012, 12:10

I'm going into town tomorrow and i'm getting either the flax seeds or oil. I will just take a little at first to see if i can tolerate it. Thanks so much for the advice. I'll update on it later.
sputnik
Salt Bather

Topics: 26