Flax Seed Oil

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Flax Seed Oil

Postby erik » 10 Jul 2007, 21:23

I have heard alot of you mention it. Two questions, is it bad for cholesterol? and how does it work to help a fissure. I may get some and your sage advice would be much appreciated!
erik Image
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Flax Seed Oil

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2007, 21:32

Flax seed oil is made up of essential fatty acids which are beneficial for health and your body cannot make its own of Omega 3 and 6 so we have to get it from out diet. EFAs are good for heart health, skin, and inflammation. I use it to also help with coating the stool to help with passing waste easier.
Fish oil is good for that too.
HTH!
Lecia

Postby erik » 10 Jul 2007, 21:58

Thanks! Flax Seed Oil it is. I am now at 90% healed. 10% more to go.
I am going to write a survival book on this experience, it rates right up there with sharks and being stranded on everest. Image
erik
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2007, 22:01

Awesome news! Yes, I would write a book too but I am busy working on a Star Wars manuscript! :)

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 10 Jul 2007, 22:08

Yeah, they're not "bad fats" and nothing I read suggests that they would raise cholesterol.
I'm still reading about all this, but here's a few things I've picked up...
You can get Omega-3 from foods, most notably fish (mackerel, herring, salmon, and sardines are good sources). Soy beans and their oil also contain some omega-3. You can also get it from walnuts...although they might irritate the fissure on the way out. I've also seen a lot of cereals out there that are Omega-3 fortified. But if you're not getting it through your diet, supplements could be beneficial.
I've read that we should be getting at least 2 or 3g of omega-3 daily. (Each of my capsules supplies 1g, and I take two a day, always with a meal).
Also the ratio between omega-3 and omega-6 should be somwhere between 1:3 and 1:5...most Americans are deficient in both and have a ratio of 1:20.
Omega-6 sources include lots of seeds and their cold-pressed oils, as well as various nuts... my favorite source -- peanut butter. Mmmmm....peanut butter.
Again, I'm still figuring this all out, and the whole "ratio" business still confuses me a bit...in another thread, i recommended a few books that touch upon the topic.
After using the capsules for about 4 days, I noticed my poos irritating the fissure less. The poo seemed to "slide" out a little better. From what I've read, Omega-3 provides lubrication to the intestinal tract which helps stool move through easier.
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby SunshineHope » 11 Jul 2007, 01:55

flax seed oil has helped me too in providing smooth BMs as it coats the poo just like lecia said.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby happyass » 11 Jul 2007, 07:31

the book can be called 1001 ways to coat your poo!
hehehehe....
flax seed oil, whether in the oil form itself or in gel capsules or even in fresh flax seed that you ground up to put in cereals or baking goods, is all good for you.
there are cereals out there that are made with flax seed and fiber - a great combo to have and to add to your bran buds.
definitely good for cholesterol along with an omega 3-6-9 capsule if you can find it.
good luck!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74