G/A & Ibuprofen

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

G/A & Ibuprofen

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2008, 14:41

I think that ibruprofen interferes with platelets in the blood which are needed for clotting, so most doctors advise against it several days before surgery. But some doctors might say its ok, there seem to be different opinions. I stopped taking everything on my doctors advise a week before surgery.

Image I took 2 ibuprofen today ....
Should i be concerned Image
Do i tell hospital about this ??? can they cancel the surgery ??
Its says in my admission leaflet not to take asprin 5-7 day before surgery , it doesnt mention Ibuprofen Image
Sorry maybe i should have put this in the surgey dept Image
Last edited by Guest on 05 Sep 2008, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Re: G/A & Ibuprofen

Postby Corsi » 05 Sep 2008, 14:55

I don't know anything about this, but found yhis on the web:
"The doctor's standard advice to avoid taking ibuprofen several days before surgery might be overly cautious, a small study suggests"
Taken from this site: http://news.healingwell.com/index.php?p=news1&id=524951
Read this too: http://www.ibuprofen-foundation.com/news/newsletters/newsletteribuprofenandsurgery.html
:truebud: Corsica
....tell your CRS to be on the safe side.....
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2008, 16:09

Corsi :truebud:
Thank you so much for finding this info for me, it has calmed me down somewhat !
I will mention this to the hospital on Monday, hopefully it shouldn’t be a problem :roll: I wont take any more !!!
How are you doing Today ???

Postby Guest » 05 Sep 2008, 16:53

I wouldn't sweat it. Some doctors are sticklers and others are more lenient about it. I think if you stop now you should be fine (and even if you didn't the risk is very small).

Postby juney » 05 Sep 2008, 19:08

i've been taking ibuprofen everyday and the dr's office said it was fine. but the surgery center today said to stop taking it. they said take narcotics if i have them instead. it seems like drs have different opinions about ibuprofen.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Fissulyna » 06 Sep 2008, 00:49

Tabby buddy - I agree with Lecia . I think it all depends of a CRS and I even think that they make one pre op paper for all kind of surgeries and one rule for all, even though they are not necessary in ALL cases . Tell them that you had your last Thursday , just to put your mind on ease- Image You do not need an extra worry Image I am sure they will not send you back home - I mean - it would be insane since your procedure will not involve any cutting at all Image .
I wish you all the luck of this world buddy Image Image Image Image Image I will be thinking of you whole day and pray - you know that :thinkofyou: !!!!! All will be just fine :fairyelf: my sweet friend - I wish I came to you and we both went for dilation together Image I am SURE I would be now pain free !!!! Image
LOVE YOU BUDDY - soon you will be free like a birdie Image !!!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby pinky » 06 Sep 2008, 02:19

good luck tabby with the surgery.even im not sure if ibuprofen has to be stopped for this surgery.even i dont know if i shud stop.let us know wat they say.i dont think they will cancel ur surgery for this.maybe it will be good to stop atleast 1 day prior to surgery to be on the safe side.
hope all goes well for u
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby val » 06 Sep 2008, 03:37

:( sorry for worrying you Tabby when you have enough to worry about already. All the doctors have different opinions, even my CRS and the nurse i saw before my op gave me conflicting advice - and that was in the same department of the same hospital! If it was that dangerous and made that much difference then they would ALL give a warning against it. They wont send you home, please dont worry about that. I was just passing on what i was told by my crs, but seeing as they all think differently, it kind of amounts to nothing anyway.
SORRY!!:(
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 06 Sep 2008, 07:00

Ok guys I found my paper bag …breathe !!! :moody:
Val Image Please don’t apologise , I am glad this topic came up otherwise I wouldn’t have known and maybe neither would our other boardies too…it is good too know !
Didn’t I tell you it wouldn’t take much for me to go off into one :moody: that’s what happened yesterday, I had a pounding head too which I was not impressed about ! Image
Thank you Fissy Image
They will be cutting off my tag , and also the question of this internal polyp that could not be felt second time round :roll:
Its all a little bit of a surprise Image
Thank you all so much for your reassurance and goodluck vibes it really does mean so much and settles my thoughts down....

Postby val » 06 Sep 2008, 08:48

I'm glad I haven't upset you! I suppose it is best to know and then make an informed choice. Did you know that you cant take flaxoil before surgery as it thins the blood? Or do you not take it anyhow?

Try to keep calm, i know how difficult that is but it makes everything easier and less traumatic. Think nice thoughts, like relaxing scenes like sunny blue skies, white sandy beach with frothy waves and fluffy clouds, in fact try imagining yourself on a cloud, just floating and relaxing where nothing matters. Or any place that you feel is calm and peaceful, and imagine yourself there every time you feel like freaking out! i know it sounds wacko but it does work!

Everything will be fine, the leading up to it and worrying is the worst part, once its over the relief is overwhelming. Your headache could be a stress headache where it feels like its gonna explode! Image i had that before my surgery.
Hope you manage to calm down a bit, i really do sympathise with what you are going through Image Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86