Gah! Now What!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Gah! Now What!

Postby small_flower » 14 Mar 2009, 11:29

Hi all,
Sorry I havent been here for awhile. Things have been crazy. I finished up teaching kindergarten for 3 months (which included doing report cards and conferences) and now am continuously searching for jobs, since we all know that the job market is horrible.
I think in my last post I shared that I had been diagnosed with anemia. So far, taking the iron supplements, as long as I stay on my fissure diet, hasn't been too bad. Its turned my BM's a blackish color, but I guess that is normal.
I discovered something else today though, in my quest for wellness:
Fiber: Because iron is removed through the stool, do not eat foods high in iron (or take supplements) at the same time as fiber and avoid using bran as a source of fiber.
Now I'm really confused, because my WHOLE DIET is high in fiber.
What the heck
should i do now?
I am seriously starting to consider going to a nutritionist, if my insurance will cover it. I am finding my dietary needs to be getting more and more complex, and I am getting so confused about how I am supposed to balance it.
Also another random question, since I know we have some alternative medicine people on here:
I know there are different forms of iron, and some are better absorbed than others. My doc put me on ferrous iron, but I know there is supposed to be another kind that is better for you. Any one, by some random lucky chance, know what that is?
Gah... I guess I just have to keep praying and keep going.
My new mantra is: Do you best, and pray for the rest!
Happy St. Patty's Day all.
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Gah! Now What!

Postby cherylk » 14 Mar 2009, 11:44

Have you tried Ensure which has both Fiber (if you buy that type) and Iron??
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Fissulyna » 14 Mar 2009, 19:28

Yeap , Ferrochel is the best . Just do what is said in your article - do not take Iron supplement WITH fiber at the SAME time. Eat and than take iron one hour latter , or take iron and than eat one hour latter. Iron is absorbed in small intestine and I do not see how fiber can interfere - sorry that I have no time to explore the matter in depth - crazy life here too Image . Maybe fiber can make transit time faster in the small intestine and reduce Fe availability , but otherwise I do not see how it can interfere. Metamucil is not supposed to be taken together with some medicines , but that is why a lot of meds are absorbed in later parts of guts and also , since it retains water and if med. is water soluble , than water might not be available in sufficient amount for the med. to be absorbed fully.
So , the best bet is to take Fe separately for hour or so from your highest fiber meal - although I still do not buy it , but maybe Fissy is wrong Image She does not have time to do nice research at this time - sorry Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Fissulyna » 14 Mar 2009, 21:07

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/nutrition/factsheets/iron.html
This is a good one !!! I could not resist but make cross-reference with the info I know. It does not address "fiber issue" , but interesting to know that acidic foods INCREASE absorption, anti-acids decrease it, other minerals can interfere - like MAGNESIUM that so many of us take !!!!
Good luck with your Fe management :paddysmiley1:
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby small_flower » 14 Mar 2009, 21:50

oh man, and I take magnesium every night!
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 14 Mar 2009, 22:14

Flower dear - just do not take Fe and Mg at the same time Image Food and all nutrients are absorbed in very fast manner in our guts . Remember having a headache and taking Tylenol ??? In about 20 min . your headache is gone !!! That means that medicine was absorbed in about 20 min. after you "ate it". So, just separate Fe from Mg in timing and you will be completely fine Image . I also did fiber research after all - it bugged me so much LOL. Anyways - there is some kind of Pythic acid in some grains and some nuts that can slow absorption of Iron - BUT only if it is consummated in huge amounts and if you have some other absorption problems in your guts - so do not worry about that. The best way - after allllll I read, is to take your supplement with glass of orange juice and with protein rich meal . That way you will maximize Fe absorption in any form you take it !!!
The only real problem for you could be your stomach acid problem. If I recall correctly, you use some anti-acids ?!?! Stomach acid is absolutely necessary to transform Fe form into absorbable Fe +3, so do not overuse those and make sure you take Fe always with very acidic juice (orange, tomato, lemonade....)
I am sure all will be just fine if you follow above instructions - Fe + juice + protein food hours apart from Mg supplement Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby small_flower » 14 Mar 2009, 22:50

wow fissy, thanks for that! your amazing!
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 15 Mar 2009, 11:34

You are very welcome Image Image Image
Fissulyna
VIP