Gas? Incontinence?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Gas? Incontinence?

Postby small_flower » 22 Feb 2007, 01:09

Hah, I am writing a lot tonight/this morning. I cant sleep. Thats what happens when you go off your meds for surgery and then go back on them right?
Anyways, I am just curious...about a few things.
Since I have had my surgery, I have had a lot of gas! Its not uncontrollable gas, but its a lot more than Im used to. Could this be due to all my metamucil, stool softeners, MOM??? Is this normal for after a surgery? Will it continue?! :shock: This is okay when I'm at home, but when I'm at school, I cant be leaving the classroom to fart every 2 minutes. Not to mention its loud. I have had quite a few giggling fits in front of my boyfriend because of this issue. He takes it in good spirits, but...well...its not a habit I want to continue...despite my cracking up as i write this...
Secondly, if I were going to be incontinent from this surgery, would i know by now? Is it something that I am always going to be at risk for? Can it strike weeks or months after the surgery? How will i know? So far things seem to be okay, but I was just curious about that. Im not overly concerned at this point per se... Image but...maybe you guys have some more information on that than i do...
Third, I am supposed to be taking my stool softeners until I see my CRS on the second, 3 a day. The bottle says to take them for no longer than a week....is this really safe? Should I call the office again and ask?
Just some late night questions. I should reallllly try to go to bed.
Image Image Image
kate
p.s. like the new avatar? lol
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Re: Gas? Incontinence?

Postby Guest » 22 Feb 2007, 08:13

Hey Kate,
I am sure someone who has had the surgery will be on shortly but I just wanted to let you know I have the same problem. I am using this cream that relaxes the muscle so I am forever walking around tooting! I never had that problem before I used the cream. My kids keep giggling at me but I can't help it! I think after I stop using the cream it will get better.
From what I read about the surgery that sounds pretty normal. I have heard that some people get some soilage for awhile which I am sure you are grateful you don't have! I think for the average person incontinence is pretty rare. You have youth on your side too so I think you will be just fine!
Does anyone know about using kegel exercises after surgery to help improve tone? Would it even do any good if that muscle is cut?
Have a great day,
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 22 Feb 2007, 09:05

Kate,
If you're not incontinent now, you're not going to be. Once you are cut, the effects are immediate, either you become incontinent or you don't.
It has become apparent that certain people (obese/diabetic) are the ones at risk for that.
As for the farting, just cut back on the fiber. Its just the excess fiber.
That goes for you, too, Lecia -- its not the cream (unless you are EATING the cream. :D ) Farts are methane gas, which comes from decomposing vegetable (and animal) matter. Fiber = farts.
Now, how well does Hugh control HIS farts after surgery? I only eat a normal amount of fruits and veggies now, no extra fiber. I don't fart *too* much. But occasionally a small fart will slip out unexpectedly. I teach GED classes at night, and one slipped out in class a couple weeks ago. (fortunately I was not near anyone) but I was aghast anyways. I also fart accidentally when I pee at night. But I don't have ANY real uncontrollable, out-of-hand farting.
But right after my surgery, I *did* have one scary incident. I had taken laxatives, and felt I needed to fart and wound up shitting in me pants. I guess I couldn't tell liquid from gas at that time. I hope that is not going to happen next time I get a liquid BM. I seriously doubt it.
As for the Kegel excercises, I only know about them from a sexual function standpoint -- I mean I know what it's used for in that respect. You might want to google it and see what else it's good for...I'm not sure which muscle you are referring to being cut here, Lecia -- hopefully not the Kegel muscle, its essential.
Hugh :alien:
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 22 Feb 2007, 13:23

Well, the amount of gas I have is the same as before but my ability to control it expulsion has diminshed so that is why I am thinking it is the cream!
I was doing kegel exercises to help improve the pelvic floor tone which for women runs from front to back including the urethra, vagina and rectum and can help improve incontinence both urinary and fecal. With the nerve damage I have I have had problems with mucusal prolapse from the rectum and was told that could help with that by improving the tone. I was reading on some hemorrhoid sites that it can also help keep them from prolapsing.
I am on hiatus for now though-don't want to be squeezing down there-I get enough spasms without contributing to it!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 22 Feb 2007, 13:31

Oh, I see what you mean, the cream maybe has lubricated or shrunk (maybe) the anal area and causes a bit of "slippage" when a "poot" is close by! Image
I am sorry! :oops:
You know, trying to figure out all these anal-related possible problems has shown me how rusty (or inept) my critical thinking skills really are. :oops:
Hugh :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Deleted User 5

Postby Deleted User 5 » 22 Feb 2007, 13:33

BTW, Lecia, you haven't given a "report" on how you're doing with Mr. Fissure. I assume (and hope) you are managing better and aren't having too much pain!
Hugh :D
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 22 Feb 2007, 13:52

Well,
I have good days and bad days. The bad days I try not to panic and the good days I try not to get my hopes up so it ends up I don't say anything about it!
I am still bleeding a bit and have days when I am in pain all day but then I will have days when after I get over the initial pain I can have a pretty decent day. Although I am not a good candidate for LIS surgery it does sound like you can get over this much faster that way. I am looking forward to the day I can just go to the bathroom without having to think about it!
I am still in the tub a lot and on the cream and go back on the 8th to check things out and get this knot removed that is swollen and painful. So all in all it is better but it depends too on what day you ask! Thanks for checking in with me about it!
How about you?
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 22 Feb 2007, 16:23

Thanks for the update. Without being too sappy, I know what you're going through, at least partially, and I empathize. One of the worst parts is how having the fissure saps your mental energy because you spend so much time thinking and fretting about it.
I know the day will come when it heals or you can have surgery. Until then, keep finding ways to make your BMs consistent every day. I wonder if not putting the dialtezam up higher is wrong? I will research that, I think.
As for me, I'm fine, just a few weeks ahead of Kate. I feel pretty much normal.
Hugh Image
Deleted User 5