Glucomannan

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Glucomannan

Postby Fissulyna » 17 May 2008, 00:22

As always - Chris has the greatest natural finds !!!! : ) Here is about her favorite softener :
Konjac Glucomannan is the most viscosity soluble fiber in nature - it forms an extremely viscous solution.
Konjac Glucomannan has the highest molecular weight of any dietary fiber known to science - molecular weight is between 200,000-2,000,000 Daltons.
Konjac Glucomannan has the highest water holding capacity of any soluble fiber - up to 100 times its own water weight.
Konjac Glucomannan can form either a reversible or a thermo-non-reversible gel.

Kojac glucomannan (KGM) molecules structure
What are the health benefits of soluble fiber?
The US Food and Drug Administration has approved food manufacturer use of the following information on product labels:
Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol that include fruits, vegetables, and grain products, which also contain fiber (particularly soluble fiber), may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol that include 3g of soluble fiber from whole oats per day may reduce the risk of heart disease.
A low-fat diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains containing fiber, particularly soluble fiber, may lower blood cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of heart diseases, and possibly prevent some types of cancer.
Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol that include a daily intake of soluble fiber from whole oats or psyllium seed may reduce the risk of heart disease.
The American Dietetic Association recommends that people consume 20 to 35 grams of fiber per day, of which 5 to 10 grams should be soluble fiber. However, Americans typically average only about 12 to 17 grams of total fiber and only 3 to 4 grams of soluble fiber a day - about half the recommended amount.
How does soluble fiber work?
Soluble fiber is the only known food component that will lower blood cholesterol when you add more to your diet. Foods high in soluble fiber help prevent sugar from rising too high after meals by keeping food in the stomach longer. Sugar is absorbed more slowly, preventing free fatty acids and triglycerides from rising too high after meals. Free fatty acids bind to insulin receptors and prevent insulin from doing its job of driving sugar from the bloodstream into cells. In addition, soluble fiber does the following:
It binds to fat in the intestines, preventing some fat absorption.
It dissolves fluids in the large intestine and forms a gel that binds with bile acids in the intestines. As a result, the liver converts more cholesterol to bile acids, and blood cholesterol levels are reduced.
It slows digestion and the absorption of nutrients, resulting in a slow and steady release of glucose from accompanying carbohydrates.
It soaks up excess bile acids found in the intestinal tract - the same acids that are converted into blood cholesterol.
It delays stomach emptying, triggering satiety (a feeling of fullness) that can be helpful in people with type 2 diabetes trying to achieve weight loss goals.
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Re: Glucomannan

Postby cherylk » 17 May 2008, 06:02

Fiss,
Thanks for posting this info on fiber. I was always confused about soluble vs. insoluble fiber. I eat a fairly high fiber diet, but never know which type I am eating although I did know oatmeal which I eat every morning is soluble. A high fibre diet with little or no processed foods is great for weight loss. I lost 10 pounds last year without even trying. Now I am trying to hold my weight.
Cheryl K.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 17 May 2008, 08:49

I take glucomannan every day. I was taking Digestive Advantage which had the probiotics in it but I have found it cheaper to just buy the two supplements separately though.

I too am unsure about soluble/insoluble. I know what each is but still trying to figure out the right balance for me. The insoluble provides a bit of bulk so the nerves in my colon are stimulated to push which seems to be key with me. The soluble does make it softer. I eat about 40 grams of fiber a day and wonder if I am making way too much stool. But I am regular, I'll say that much!

Postby buttgirl » 19 May 2008, 10:23

Good article Fiss. It's interesting to watch the glucomannan absorb water in a glass as comapred to other soluble fibers.
It absorbes much more and still remains soft.
One word of caution for users--be sure to take it 20min before eating with a full glass of water. I have had a couples capsules not dissolve completely when I took them on a full or filling stomach.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 19 May 2008, 14:20

I've noticed that too! Really bizarre to see.

Postby Fissulyna » 19 May 2008, 15:40

Thanks guys for advices : ) ! I decided to order pure G. so that I can mix it with water and take it that way - just like Metamucil. Still waiting for it to arrive though :roll: .
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby buttgirl » 19 May 2008, 15:50

i find it also works well mixed in yogurt. I've recently dicovered yogurt and fig jam. brilliant!!
buttgirl
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 19 May 2008, 15:54

mmmmm....sounds like really interesting combo - what are the rations of yogurt and jam that you use and what brand of jam : ) ?
I adore figs in any shape and form ; ) !
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby buttgirl » 19 May 2008, 16:31

I have tried a few different ones. I like the one i got at whole foods the best. I cant remember it's name though, just that it had an orange lid. I also like St. Dalfours. Knott's also has one. I put basically a tablespoon of jam in 6 oz of yogurt and I also crack 2-3pills into the yogurt. then I stir it all up. Yummy!
buttgirl
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 19 May 2008, 17:41

Thanks Chris - will definitely try Image
XOXO
Fissulyna
VIP

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements