Going the movicol (and diltiazem) route

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Going the movicol (and diltiazem) route

Postby Soreguy » 21 Dec 2010, 08:52

My doctor said he did not want me to take stool softeners like movicol, he said to take metamucil and mentioned another laxative that adds bulk. Having used movicol on occasion it works so well at softening things up. metamucil hasn't been reliable for me at all. Wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea to try for 3 weeks before going on to rectogesic?
Last edited by Soreguy on 12 Apr 2011, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: Going the movicol (and diltiazem) route

Postby Guest » 21 Dec 2010, 17:15

Hey there,
I'm 2 months post-op and my crs still doesn't know I'm taking miralax/movicol. She also wanted me to use the fiber supplements as a natural stool softener. When I asked about miralax, she said it was a laxative.
It really has made soft, regular bm's, sometimes too may but I am afraid to stop using it during my recovery. I don't really know how to advise you on this...
The rectogesic is going to promote blood flow and decrease some of the resting pressure in the anus, but having a soft stool is going to be the key to healing,if you can find away to achieve that without the movicol then that would probably be the best. I couldn't though.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 21 Dec 2010, 23:44

Personally I think the Movicol is a good idea. It does wonders for me. Nothing else ever did.
It doesn't have to be an either/or thing with Movicol and Rectogesic though. You can certainly use both at the same time -- many of us have, and as long as you can tolerate the nitroglycerin, I don't see any real downside to trying both without waiting the 3 weeks.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Soreguy » 25 Dec 2010, 14:13

This stuff has been working very well for me so far.
I have been taking half a sachet at midday in about 200ml of water, I need to not take it with too much water or it bloats me abit and doesn't work as fast. I might lower the dose as its tended to make things a little too soft.
It has been my ticket to eat anything even nuts and meat. Now just hoping this is enough to fix things.
Posting from my mobile.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Postby Soreguy » 28 Dec 2010, 23:27

I am going to turn this thread into a small journal.
Woke up today with the most intense itching I have ever had, I noticed yesterday but particularly today the pain has lessened a lot. Not only has it become less intense but it has gone from a sharp stabbing pain to a slighter occasional burning pain. The tightness feels slightly improved and overall the area is a little more comfortable. I have had pain free days before but not an experience where any pain is actually becoming less intense.
Called the pharmacy yesterday about diltiazem and they said they only have tablets and havent heard of the cream so learnt that it does have to be compounded.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 29 Dec 2010, 11:19

yes it has to be compounded. I'm not sure where you're at but it's a prescription here in the states. Mine's 2% diltiazem ointment.

Postby Soreguy » 04 Jan 2011, 22:26

I have been pain free for almost 2 weeks now which is a relief although (possibly due to not compensating for alcohol and taking extra movicol) I had one firm BM 2 days ago which created bleeding, the bleeding has been ongoing since at each BM.
When I bleed it is a fair amount, about the same amount of liquid which would come out of 1 squirt of a spray bottle, definitely enough to pass through 3-4 layers of double ply toilet paper at times, just seeing all this blood starts to have a toll mentally. I get general blood results back on the 22nd, I wonder if I am anaemic yet.
The past month there has been zero correlation between pain and bleeding.
The past week the pain has been replaced by itching although to a lesser extent.
The spasming seems slightly improved which I gauge by whether my body actually notifies me of a BM or gas other than having a bloated feeling.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 05 Jan 2011, 08:46

Soreguy,
I can't remember, how long have you had your fissure?
Have you considered getting LIS?
It's really not that bad and if your fissure is chronic it's the best way to heal it and get rid of all these problems. Life's just too short to let butt problems rule it... That's just my opinion. If your losing so much blood from this, it could effect the rest of your health then you may want to consider LIS. I know many people say it's last resort and to try everything else but honestly if I had to do it all over again, I would have had mine much sooner than I did.
When I lost so much weight and barely had any energy, I knew it was effecting the rest of my health and I could procrastinate and let the fear keep me from taking control of my health. It's just not worth it. LIS is successful for most people and it's very likely that it will give you your quality of life back and save you from developing more health issues because of the fissure. :)

Postby Soreguy » 06 Jan 2011, 00:25

Well I am unsure how long I have had it for, 2 years of occasional minor bleeding with no other symptoms at all.
3 months now with a definite fissure(I thought it was a hemorhoid) but haven't really treated it properly at all apart from this movicol.
LIS isnt something I am considering right now, I am 27 and my CRS said I really dont want the surgery at my age.
I have an appointment next week where I am going to request 2% diltiazem cream and go from there.
I think as long as I keep consistent on the movicol, atleast the bleeding and pain should stop, I cant see why it would retear although I hear some people here have retears for no apparent reason at all.
Soreguy
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 06 Jan 2011, 10:26

It sounds like it's chronic even if you've only had it 3 months. Hope you heal! And yes, many people have re-tears. They say it can take up to a year to fully heal that area once it's been torn.
I really don't understand the age thing on LIS. I've read and personally know someone who is much younger than you who had LIS. He was 21 and had his fissure for a few months.... There's a small chance of incontinence- which is very rare and my CRS said it's never happened in the group she's in. Anyways at your age, it would seem less likely that you would become incontinent- than an older person or someone has some other underlying health problems such as obesity?!
I'll be honest with you- I understand not wanting the surgery and I did everything in my power to heal mine on my own. No one could convince me to have the surgery until I decided to myself!! If one of my kids whom are younger than you but over 18 got a fissure, I would definitely support then in healing until the fissure became chronic and then I would be begging them to get the surgery. It's just not worth living in agony when it's so easily fixed. The fear is much worse than the surgery and healing for good. I would also recommend them to not use any CRS who says they have had any patients who became incontinent.
Good Luck with the ointment! I used the diltiazem for 3 months. I feel like if I could have got my RX before my fissure became chronic, I may have had a chance to heal it, but who really knows,Lol!
Ps... I just remembered the other person is from my church who had LIS. His wife and my mom are good friends. He had the surgery 25 years ago so he was about your age when he had it. Like me, he said it's the best thing he ever did. My ex-husbands Uncle also had the surgery many years ago and did fine. Many people have LIS, it's just not something you really talk with others. I don't know if you've read any of the surgery post, but Small change really inspired me before my surgery when he had his. He found out right before his LIS that his mother in-law and her sister had LIS years ago. It has a very high success rate because it works, so if it ever comes to you needing or wanting the surgery, don't sweat it!
I wish you the best of Luck! I hope you get past this soon
:)