Good luck tomorrow SummerGal!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Good luck tomorrow SummerGal!!!

Postby SummerGal » 08 Aug 2011, 08:15

AWww Hope. That sounds so terrible...jeesh...if it's not one thing, it's another. I hope you catch a break with the new antibiotic, because you don't need all that added misery!
Do you get flax powder at the regular grocery or like a whole foods type one? How much do you recommend to sprinkle on at first?
Do any of you have any problems with a little bit of incontinence or leakage? I noticed on my gauze I seem to sometimes have a tiny bit of fecal matter. Not sure if I am not able to clean right or when I think I have gas, more is leaking. It's not a lot, but I have noticed it. If so, will this get better as the surgery area heals (I HOPEEEEEE!). Ugh...another thing to worry about. lol
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 579 » 08 Aug 2011, 12:18

Hey Summer - I get flax powder in a regular grocery store in Canada, but health food stores would definitely carry it. I put a good sized scoop (about 2-3 table spoonfuls) onto my morning oatmeal. Flax is great because it helps with constipation and diarrhea, so I get nice fluffy poo with that stuff. But you do have to drink lots of water too!
I'm sorry I can't help with the leakage question. So far, I haven't had that experience, but I know others have. There is a thread about it:
http://anal-fissure.org/t3054-leakage-8-months-post-op?highlight=leakage
I'm sure I read that people have leakage shortly after surgery, but it either goes away or gets a lot better. The sphincter does tighten over time, but I think that by about a year post-surgery, the sphincter is as tight as it will get. I really hope you don't have to deal with that much longer!
I'll be getting my new antibiotics today - man, I hope I don't react to these ones. That was really not much fun at all! Oh well, thanks to this forum, I wasn't surprised that I got a bladder infection. At least the symptoms are not very severe. One day we'll all catch a break! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby SummerGal » 08 Aug 2011, 19:50

Yeah, I am not sure what is causing it, whether it be my muscle or maybe I ripped stitches (which I am not even sure if I have lol), but it's not a huge amount. I just notice it on my 4x4 gauze a little bit. My stool has been pretty runny too (when I am not constipated), so that is not helping. Keep your fingers crossed it's not permanent. That would be awful, since I am only in my early 40's.
Good luck with your antibiotics. I hope these do the trick! It's amazing how your body can react to medicines, isn't it? UGH!
And YES, we are due for a break soon!!! We will keep thinking positive. Have a good night! :D
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2011, 20:44

Hey Summer,
Try not to worry too much about the leakage. It's very early in the game for you. The first few weeks post-op is much worse than what I experience now and as Hope said the sphincter does get tighter as time passes and the leakage gets better. I'm nine months post-op and It has even improved since I posted at 8 months. Yours may even subside quicker than mine has. It's annoying but it does get better. I had a horrible time first 2 weeks post-op with it and got really irritated. It really can't be compared to what I experience now. Now it's just like I need to wipe and there's a little. Nothing that makes it to your panties or even to the butt cheeks (sorry for the details).
I believe I read in a link Paul posted that the sphincter will tighten over a year post-op, but if all goes well should never return to it's original strength. Just have to be patient and roll with it all but I promise from my experience it gets better.

Postby Deleted User 579 » 09 Aug 2011, 07:57

I also remember reading that bulking up the stool really helps a lot with leakage, so it makes sense that the problem is associated with loose stools. I think it just takes a while for things to settle down. It may not be just because the muscle is looser, but also because it takes a while for the nerves to adjust so that the sphincter detects and distinguishes what happening down there. I agree with Dawn - you're very early in the game yet and I'm sure things will improve a great deal over the next few weeks and especially the next few months. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!:D
I caught a break with the new anti-biotics. No bad reaction - yay! I really was amazed by what a little ole antibiotic could do. I'm also in my early 40s and this whole ordeal has really made me feel a lot older than that! Image
I hope you have a great day today!
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 09 Aug 2011, 09:40

Hope,
It's good to hear the antibiotics aren't causing any problems for you. Sorry to hear you have a bladder infection.
I know what you mean about the whole ordeal making you feel old. I feel the same way! I'm in my early 40's too. As a matter of fact, I noticed our B-days are 11 days apart,and the same year Hopetoheal. Image

Postby val » 09 Aug 2011, 10:59

Glad your new antibiotics are helping Hope Image that's great news!
I had LIS 3 years ago Summer - it does tighten up again quite considerabl. I was freaked out when it happened to me after this surgery, but its slowly improving.y. I think a little leakage this soon after surgery is to be expected. It should get slowly better though
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 09 Aug 2011, 11:31

lol Dawn! Only 11 days apart. That's kewl Image I'm gradually feeling younger now since I'm gaining weight and recovering my health generally. I've got so many meds right now, though, I'm still feeling a bit geriatric. I don't mind that too much, though. I thank the Boomer generation for making retirement look like such a blast, I'm actually looking forward to my 60s! LOL
I'm surprised that the sphincter can still tighten even after a year post-surgery. That's good to know. Summer, I really think when everything normalizes, the leakage will resolve.
I hope everyone is having a great day today. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 09 Aug 2011, 13:43

I've written it without thinking properly again! I didn't mean it had tightened up and freaked me out after this surgery, I meant the leakage freaked me out after the surgery! LOL! I really should get my one brain cell in gear occasionally!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby rosey » 10 Aug 2011, 16:34

Such good news about your surgery. I am new on here so, I didn't read your posts leading up to your surgery. I have a fissure (atleast I think that is what has come back) Just more bleeding than I used to see. How big was your fissure? I am so SCARED I can't even sleep. I go see my CRS tomorrow. I know he will want to schedule a colonoscopy (so scared) How do the doctors examine you for the fissure when you go in? Years ago I remember something they put up my rear and it really didn't hurt. I am beyond scared. I guess it's because I fear the worst due to the blood I see.
rosey
Fibre Addict