Had LIS 3.5 weeks ago and still have symptoms

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had LIS 3.5 weeks ago and still have symptoms

Postby Katrina915 » 26 Sep 2012, 10:52

I was diagnosed with AF by CRS in June eventhough I have had pain since Jan (GI just saw hemorrhoids). Prior to LIS surgery, I had some discomfort during BM, but was mostly concerned about constant pain that kept me lying on the coach most nights. Various medications did not heal AF. CRS told me that I could have surgery Friday night and I could be back to work on Monday. Yeah, right. When I went back to work on Thursday, I didn't sleep at all that night. Have desk job and taking care of an elderly parent (shopping, cooking, etc) probably slowed the healing process. Taking miralax at night, Metamucil in morning. And 5 sitz baths a day first week and 3/day until this week.
Went to CRS about 10 days ago and fissure is healed (had fissurectomy), but LIS site was not. With the symptoms that I had, I thought the fissure was back.
CRS did not schedule follow up visit. I have been feeling better lately so I decreased the sitz baths to 1-2 day and started cleaning the house. And sitting longer at home. And getting some walking in. Big mistake. At what point would you advise me to go back to CRS? Shouldn't I feel better than before the surgery at this point-it will be 4 weeks on Friday? Or should I just listen to my body and take things slower for awhile?
Katrina915
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Had LIS 3.5 weeks ago and still have symptoms

Postby Lauren12 » 26 Sep 2012, 16:50

Hi,
I didn't have a fissurectomy, but I did have a LIS. I found it took me quite a while to get back to normal - I couldn't have gone to work or done heavy housework 4 weeks post surgery for instance. I think the recovery period can vary between people. I formed minor fissures in the early recovery period because the tissue was swollen and puffy from the surgery. I'd also acquired two new fissures during the surgery itself, which had to heal! Having been in pain for two years previously, I'd also developed something of a pain cycle, where constant pain causes the brain to register pain at a higher level, and even though the surgery fixed the problem in the butt, the pain cycle had to downgrade until the sensations in the anus became normal, which took a while.
All in all it took me months for the anus to settle down, and the surgeon said all that was normal.
Each case is slightly different of course, so people seem to recover fully at different points. If you're worried about anything, I'd contact your surgeon. I'm slightly surprised he hasn't scheduled another appointment if the LIS site isn't completely healed - although perhaps he thinks it's so well on its way to healing that there's no need. But if I had any worries during recovery, I booked another appointment with the surgeon.
The fact that you were feeling improved enough to start cleaning the house is a good sign, but if you think you've overdone things, might be an idea to ease up for a while. If you're not fully healed in your anus, heavy exertion might not be a good idea. I think, for instance, if you have piles or an open fissure, the advice is not to do heavy lifting, and I seem to remember my surgeon telling me not to do heavy lifting at some stage during the recovery. My LIS was 17 months ago, so there's a lot I've forgotten about the early recovery phase.
I know it's frustrating to slow up again when there are things to be done. I sympathise, also, with having responsibility for the care of an aged parent. Let us know how you get on.
All the best.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Katrina915 » 27 Sep 2012, 06:10

Lauren,
Thanks. I think this is very helpful to know that you did not go to work until 4 weeks out and that eases my mind.
I believe my CRS has done an AWFUL job of setting expectations about what I should expect and do post surgery. First, I heard it was Friday night surgery/back to work Monday. Post op instructions were not to drive for a week (I freaked out, but nurse pointed out that was only if I had pain meds). And then when I had first post op appt at 10 days, he said "first week" was the worse. Maybe I was doing too much lifting (lifting was restricted to 20 lbs). I got a little testy with him at the post op appt since he said "Friday evening surgery, Monday am back to work".
I will see how the symptoms go, since I really don't want to go back to this guy.
Katrina915
Fibre Addict

Postby snowfight » 27 Sep 2012, 11:30

My surgeon said that I could go back to work the next day... total BS! I was really frustrated that I was told that the recovery was very minimal. I went back to work 4 days later, but I was in a lot of pain still.
snowfight
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Katrina915 » 27 Sep 2012, 12:12

Thanks, snowfight. It helps to know that others are hearing the same things and having issues or we could easily go into despair.
I called my doc today and have appt for next week. I am hoping that I overdid it with cleaning and it's nothing serious.
Katrina915
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?