Had LIS with tag removal on 7/19!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had LIS with tag removal on 7/19!

Postby JulsPain » 20 Jul 2019, 13:40

So after almost a year of struggle I finally bit the bullet and had the surgery yesterday. What they ended up doing was the LIS, one tag removal and excising a couple of hemorrhoids. Not a full hemorrhoidectomy but as the surgeon described she just burned them off to minimize them.

The entire procedure lasted about an hour and immediately post surgery I had about a level 4 pain. I’d describe it as the pain/pressure you feel when you bump into a corner of a table..but in your anus. They gave me 3 types of pain killers in the surgery recovery room but the pain was never fully gone.

Day of surgery: when I got home I had pain but nothing too terrible. Just layed in bed all day and managed with 3 ibuprofens but ended up taking Norco at around 9 PM. I took off the gauze and there was some blood, but not a lot. I was expecting it to be packed in, but it was just taped to the outside.

Day 1: woke up at 7 AM with terrible pain, I’d say around an 8. Just a deep, throbbing kind of pain. Took another Norco and it went away in about 30 min. The ache is still there but more like a 3 on the pain level, no more throbbing. Tried to sit up while eating breakfast but got super dizzy and nauseous, so I’ll probably spend the day in bed. At the moment I’m too scared to look at the surgical area so I’ll probably do that in a few days. So far the pain from the surgery has been SIGNIFICANTLY worse compared to the fissure pain, but I’d say my fissure pain was more of a constant 1-2, so I never experienced the pain many describe here other than one flare up I had. Also finding it hard to pee the bit of pushing hurts the anal area, so I’ve been doing it standing up and letting all slowly come out. No BM movement yet. Walking around isn’t too bad, I’m able to go to the bathroom by myself but rolling out of bed and getting back in is a bit difficult.

Will continue to update this as the weeks go by. I have 2 weeks off work, so hopefully I’m healed by then!
JulsPain
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Re: Had LIS with tag removal on 7/19!

Postby chachacha » 20 Jul 2019, 14:22

Congrats on having gone through the procedure! And thank you for following it up with a description of how things went for you. Hopefully, you will heal quickly and without much more pain, and please keep us updated as you go.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby JulsPain » 21 Jul 2019, 11:34

Going to jump to Day 3 as I guess it would make sense to count surgery day as Day 1.

Still in a good amount of pain, I’d say 6/10 and now I can distinguish the internal pain from the incision pain. Outside it feels more like a sore wound while internally it’s a pulsating ache. Ended up taking a Norco this morning.

I’ve gotten that urge to have a BM throughout the night, and attempted to go this morning but nothing is moving down there and I think it’s because I’m afraid. I have a bad feeling it’s not going to be soft even though I’ve been taking stool softeners.

Did anyone take a laxative while going through their recovery? I remember my dr mentioning not to take it but I’m not sure if that was before or after surgery.
JulsPain
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 21 Jul 2019, 12:24

I was told that if I hadn't had a movement by day 5, I should then take some Milk of Magnesia.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby jis76 » 21 Jul 2019, 13:15

Hi Juls... sending good vibes your way... hope that BM comes soon and you have some relief from the pain.

Does the Norco (Vicodin) take the pain away, or is it constant even after taking the Norco?
jis76
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby JulsPain » 07 Aug 2019, 12:30

Hi Jis76,

I’d say the Norco helped with the pain when it was at its’ worst but the pain never fully went away, but just numbed a bit.

By around Day 4 or 5 I was able to stop taking the norco and just did ibuprofen!
JulsPain
Salt Bather