Happy Medium....

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Happy Medium....

Postby Guest » 26 Jun 2007, 16:36

Hello,
This is for the women on the forum, but if you want the guys can read on...
It's hard to find a happy medium with this AF. Well I had a good day Monday 2bms and no pain at all. Today (Tuesday) I had a bm this morning firm but soft and no pain. Ok heres the kicker, at lunch time I ran in the house and it came out like water 2x ugh. BUT no pain just uncomfortable. I sat in the bath tub 1/2 hour. Could the Nefedipine be working? I am getting it farther up there because it is not as tight. I am fine right now, my stomach is a little upset. I think I will skip prune juice tonight.
It's about 90+degrees here, I had prune juice last night plus I am due for the period next week. Could that combination have caused diarhea? Do you think it is hard to find the right combination of things to eat and take at certain times?? I have not had colace all week. I cut back on prune juice and I am still eating good. Wow this is hard. I had scrambled eggs with toast tonight because i did not want to upset my stomach. Do you ever feel that if you do one little thing wrong you will be in pain all day? It is like walking on egg shells. Just wondering anyone thoughts?

BBG
Patty

Re: Happy Medium....

Postby Guest » 26 Jun 2007, 22:52

Hey Patty,
I bet it is working for you. Just keep it up and give it some time. I wouldn't compare how you feel though when you are pms'ing or having your period. Everything can go haywire with your digestion and pain as the uterus contracts to shed the lining. When that happens contractions also occur in the rectum since the pelvic floor is connected. This can happen during ovulation too as some women get mittelschmerz or ovulatory pain on the side and some hormonal effects from this shift from the follicular to the luteal phase.
I have even thought about going on the pill just to calm everything down as it seems to throw me off each month.
I know what you mean about being afraid that one thing will set off your pain. I feel like that too. I am still very careful of what I eat and keeping the same routine but little by little as things get further out I think we will both have more confidence in trying something new and untested but maybe not now. It is a fine balance but we have to stick with what works so we can have a life outside of the bathroom. Things will get back to normal, it will just take some time.
Lecia

Postby SunshineHope » 28 Jun 2007, 14:58

Hey Patty,
I'm the same way, it can definitely be like walking on egg shells. It's so hard to get used to your body and understand how it works. I think it helps to keep a fissure diary (although I keep mine mentally, I used to really have a diary that I'd write my diet and BM's in, describing how the BMs turned out and relating that to my food). My system gets very messed up around my period, so I have to stop the prune juice, and sometimes even take less Miralax at that point, but sometimes the loose BMs only last a day or so, so I have to be on top of things and know when I have to take more prune juice/Miralax.
I totally feel like if I eat one thing wrong, it could cause pain for the whole day. You're totally not alone Patty. I think after some time you sort of get used to how your body works or you start to learn when you should and shouldn't have certain things (e.g. Prune juice). Sometimes keeping a steady diet doesn't help me because my body reacts differently depending on whether I have my period or not - so I have to alter how I do things/what I eat..
I agree with Lecia, I think if we're just careful we can slowly have a life outside the bathroom, although it does take time
.. xo :-)
-sunshine
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby buttgirl » 28 Jun 2007, 15:25

Hi gals,

Same problem here. Loose stools, followed like clockwork by 2 days of constipation. And of course, there are those lovely cramps which seem to tighten up every muscle in my abdomen, sphincter included. I can almost predict the reinjury. Sometimes it is mild. Other times, like this month, it makes me feel like I have had an entire month's worth of healing eliminated....

Unfortunately, I have no good advice. I did discuss with my dr and got Botox today. Hopefully that will keep the sphincter from spasming. (I am planning to write a bit in the surgery section on the Botox process.)
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2007, 15:51

Have any of you ladies thought of getting on a long cycling pill like Seasonale to prevent periods for a time to reduce cramps and tightening?

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2007, 16:36

Lecia,
No I never thought of that type of pill. The period can just wreek havoc on our bodies. May be I will ask my OBGYN. Of course I spoke to soon about being pain free. I was good from Monday until today Thursday afternoon 2:30. I had a BM that was firm but soft and at the end very loose. Boy I have been in pain ever since. Its now 6:25pm and its just starting to calm down. It stinks I was doing so good pain free. Now I can't even touch my bum with the nefedipine cause I don't want to aggravate it. I have to attribute this BM to my upcoming period. You know you can just tell. Now tomorrow I get to have tooth pulled on top of all this. I am having so much fun. Sorry for complaining.
But let me tell you something my pain is nothing right now we had a tragedy close by to where I live.......
These five Fairport High School students died Tuesday night in a firey crash. They just graduated last Thursday. It's been a sad time here in ontario couinty. So when I think of how bad I have it, I try to focus on these girls and their families. Aren't they beautiful?? Image Please pray for them.
Sometime this weekend I want to bring flowers to the crash sight. So I want by butt to ease up for a little while so I can do this. Keep your fingers crossed!
Sorry for the gloom but this hits so close to home...
BBG
Patty

P.S.

I also attribute stress to aggravateing this AF. I have been upset about this accident so it also may have contributed ti the pain today...

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2007, 17:34

Hey Patty,
Sorry to hear about your pain, and the terrible tragedy that happened in your neck of the woods. That is very sad indeed. I am sure the stress of that, plus your period plus stressing about the tooth extraction can send your pain over the edge.
Have you tried taking some advil or aleve? Maybe get in the tub while you are waiting for it to get better and then put your cream on. The cream should help with relaxing things and you don't want to skip it as the affects are cumulative.
Things will seem brighter soon. hang in there.
Lecia

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2007, 17:46

Lecia,
Thanks I know this accident was a terrible loss and is upsetting because I have nieces that age. I sat in th tub for an hour and I did take advil. I remember you telling me that so now I take it when I have extreme pain, but don't you agree stress can aggravate this AF? It is calm down now 5 hours later so I will put the cream on before I go to bed. Thanks again Lecia you're the best!!
Patty

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2007, 18:14

Stress can aggravate everything!!!!!
When I am having a slew of painful days I try to take advil preemptively. Like before I go to the bathroom. If I can keep the pain for gripping me sometimes I can keep it from getting too bad. Maybe take something in the morning before you go and see if that makes for a better day!
L.

Postby Guest » 28 Jun 2007, 18:43

Thanks Lecia,

I will do that take the advil in the morning, but first Ihave to go buy more lol.. Take care have a good night.....I know it'e only 845pm but I am going to bed...

BBG
Patty