Has anyone who has healed had a colonoscopy yet?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Has anyone who has healed had a colonoscopy yet?

Postby itpainsme » 04 Aug 2011, 23:21

I haven't ever had a colonoscopy yet, but the thought of having one after having this AF is terrifying. I always get scared of the anoscope at the CRS's office and I know that even after I am healed from this AF (positive thinking going on) I will be afraid of a colonoscopy. I am really just curious about what that is like after being healed from an AF. I know that eventually I will end up having a colonoscopy, but would love to hear of experiences from someone who has had an AF. My mind pictures it tearing the AF open again. Not a pretty picture to have.
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: Has anyone who has healed had a colonoscopy yet?

Postby of all the places to hurt » 05 Aug 2011, 05:22

Hi,
I had a sigmoidoscopy last month and am having colonoscopy soon (awaiting letter in post). I was put to sleep and will be again for the colonoscopy. Surely, they won't keep u awake? My CRS told me it is too painful for anyone to endure. So, I would request to be put under!!
Good Luck x
I hope we hear good things from this question!! Fingers crossed
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby owwwwww » 05 Aug 2011, 12:45

Perfect timing on this question for me. Well, not exactly, wish I had thought about it more before Wednesday. I got Botox injections on June 30. The fissure had not healed, but it had stopped hurting. I had bruising and a gigantic hemorrhoid after the Botox, and that hurt, but a different kind of pain than the fissure. I actually had about two weeks of a relatively pain-free butt.
I have Crohn's and have had diarrhea for five months. I wanted to start a new Crohn's medicine, and the only way to do that was to have the colonoscopy to show whether the Crohn's was acting up, or if it was something else. Well, it's evidently something else, because the colon looked okay.
Meanwhile, the fissure has opened up wider. It's bleeding now, where it was not bleeding before. So the Botox will last one or two more months, but i don't know what to do now to get this stupid fissure to heal. I sit here and think, "Why, why, why did I get that stupid colonoscopy?"
Now, I know the fissure did not seem to be healing, even though it didn't hurt, it wasn't closed. I'm wondering if it had to be re-opened so that it would heal properly this time. I don't know, but I'm hoping that is what it is. I am trusting the Lord to heal this, and I think He would have stopped me from having the colonoscopy; he stopped me before when it was not the right time.
But, it sure does hurt. At least I don't have the spasms from the internal sphincter. I would get Botox again. But, it took me two full weeks afterwards to not have a great deal of pain in the bottom. And I was black and blue.
So, my advice is not to have the colonoscopy unless like me, they really need to see what is going on. I don't think there is any way to avoid re-tearing the fissure.
God bless you.
owwwwww
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby PaulsPain » 05 Aug 2011, 13:49

I had a colonoscopy last fall with active fistula and fissure. The procedure didn't cause me to tear more. I asked the GI this before and he said he is careful....
Owwwww- I was just diagnosed with Crohn's last fall after battling peri-anal disease for 6 years now. Crohn's causes fissures. Are you on medication to address the peri-anal disease? If not, it is possible that even with the Botox you won't heal if Crohn's is causing the issue. I first tried Azathioprine and now just added Remicade to the mix with the goal to treat my peri-anal disease - fistula and hopefully the fissure. I have minimal GI isssue from the Crohn's it is mostly isolated in my rear.
Last edited by PaulsPain on 05 Aug 2011, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby of all the places to hurt » 05 Aug 2011, 14:10

owwwwww
I was crossing my legs almost reading your experience of the colonoscopy! You have had a really bad experience ah Image
Got to say you have certainly scared me a bit! My CRS wants to rule out crohns etc.. I have a couple of weeks to chicken out I suppose lol? On the other hand, he needs to know what he is treating apart from the fissures.. Mmm.... well if I want to get better I will have to deal with what's to come. I hope you start to feel better really quickly!! Now is the time to ask all the redundant angels to help us all!!! Image
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby of all the places to hurt » 05 Aug 2011, 14:14

PaulPain
Do you mind my asking what is Peri-anal disease and what were ur symptoms?
p.s
Am so glad ur colonoscopy didn't tear you more!! :)
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owwwwww » 05 Aug 2011, 14:44

PaulsPain,
My CRS said that my fissure seemed to be non-Crohn's related. I disagree entirely. He said this because the fissure is "on the midline" rather than "off the midline." It is at the 6:00 position. He also said that Crohn's fissures do not usually hurt. I have not seen that to be true at least on the boards.
Where are your fissures?
I do believe that I have primarily perianal Crohn's disease, which my local gastro seems to agree with, but the gastro and CRS at the Cleveland Clinic Florida do not agree.
I am on Cimzia. I was on Remicade for three years and it worked until I seemed to start to get immune. Now I feel like I am immune to the Cimzia. I wanted to start Imuran, but now none of the doctors want me to start it. Yes its harsh, yes it can cause lymphoma. But, I can't freakin eat normal. I can't have a normal bm. My butt hurts all the time. Everything I do, every decision I make revolves around my bms and my butt. It is a literal pain in the butt.
I see the Cleveland Clinic doctors on Monday. Love the CRS, don't care for the Gastro at all. Luckily I've met my catastrophic so I don't have to pay for anything else.
I see my doctor next week. I pray he will let me try something to get me back to "normal."
owwwwww
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby PaulsPain » 05 Aug 2011, 14:46

Peri-anal disease is just a broad term grouping all the rear end issues one can have. I have had fissures, fistula's (one still active with a draining seton that goes through 1/2 my sphincter muscle), and abscess. I started with just having fissures for years and things have progressed through the years.
Yes, I was completely paranoid about having a colonscopy. It wasn't a fun experience since the prep sucked and the biopsies left me with bloody burning diarrhea afterwards. But at least I had some answers of why I never could heal......
Here is a post I made on my experience.
My Colonoscopy Experience
Last edited by PaulsPain on 05 Aug 2011, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PaulsPain » 05 Aug 2011, 14:55

owwwww- My fissures have all been midline - 12 and 6 o'clock. And they hurt like hell. My CRS is the one who first thought Crohn's once he saw them up close at my LIS surgery since they appeared more like ulcers. I am thankful he went through with the LIS since it did provide some relief from the spasms. The colonoscopy showed some chronic inflammation on the ileocecal valve. So the disease seems to be isolated to those area.
My life has also revolved around my rear end for the last 6 years. I am hoping Remicade will give me a little break for awhile since it does sound like it looses its effectiveness after awhile. I was afraid of Remicade and thought I would try the lower risk drug first Imuran(azathioprine) first to see if could heal things up.
I hope you are able to find some combo to provide relief. It also must be frustrating to have doctor's that don't think it is related since it sounds like it is fairly common amongst people with Crohn's.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby of all the places to hurt » 05 Aug 2011, 15:23

PaulsPain
Thankyou for your reply! My heart goes out to you and everyone on here...... Image
Proctosphincteranalogist