Hi from Seattle!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi from Seattle!

Postby Agint187 » 17 Aug 2014, 22:49

Hi all. Was recently diagnosed with an anal fistula, and after looking around for all the information on the issue that I could, I stumbled upon this forum. As for the issue, it happened like this... I'm a 28 year old male, and about 5 weeks ago I had a single instance of constipation, which I've never been constipated like this before ever, and then about 5 days after that I started having some discomfort. I chalked it up as pain from that, and just dealt with it for about a week and a half. It kept getting worse, so I just gave in and went to the doctor. He diagnosed it as an abscess, basically drained it, gave me an antibiotic, and told me to come back in a week to get it checked out. At my return appointment a week later, I was officially diagnosed with having an anal fistula and was told that while I could live with it, I need to get a fistulotomy.

So now I've been living with this fistula for about 4-5 weeks, and I'm just counting down the days until I get this fistulotomy done. I'm planning on some time in early September. I must say I'm nervous about the whole ordeal. On top of everything, I'm in a wheelchair and I can't walk, so the idea of not being able to stand up while dealing with the whole post-surgery process makes me dread the whole situation even more. I went through the whole abscess thing, and that was pretty damn bad itself not being able to walk and having to sit all day, so I guess the healing ordeal can't be that much worse. Right?

Also, just based on my constant Googling on the subject, which I've done constantly since I was diagnosed, I fear the prospect of incontinence. I'm probably just over reacting, but like I said, the sensitive nature of the procedure, mixed with the apprehension of the healing process, has made me crazy.

Anywho, I'm glad I found this forum, and I would love to hear from anyone regarding their experience with a fistulotomy and the recovery. Thanks for reading, and I'll look forward to hearing from you all.

- Agint (pronounced like "agent")
Agint187

Topics: 1

Re: Hi from Seattle!

Postby owmybum » 18 Aug 2014, 10:27

Hi and welcome!
You have certainly come to the right place for advice and support!

You may find some good advice if you post on the fistulas board. There are loads of great members who have been through the whole fistula process who can shed some more light on what to expect for you.

A word to the wise..... Don't start googling your simptoms. I had to stop myself when I saw I had the same simptoms as anal cancer..... It's always the worst case scenario, so it's best to steer clear!

Good luck!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Re: Hi from Seattle!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 18 Aug 2014, 11:13

Hi Agint, "Agent" :)
OMB is right.........Head straight to the Fistula section for some great & reassuring reading!
It sounds like your abscess was dealt with pretty quickly and your fistula diagnosed pretty quickly too in the aftermath, so chances are your fistula will be very straightforward to deal with...it's the ones that tend to go undiagnosed for a long time and form multiple tracts that are a lot harder to deal with.
I was in exactly the same position as you - got an abscess, which popped and formed a fistula tract. I'm happy to say I pushed for treatment asap and had a simple fistulotomy (no seton required) because the tract was superficial and small. The op took 20 minutes under a GA and my entire recovery time from diagnosis to full healing was about 2 - 2.5 months. I was in no more pain or discomfort than I had been beforehand (maybe more tender for the first week or so, but I didn't need to take pain meds).....I would imagine that being in a wheelchair will not cause you major issues and you do really need to spend the first few days lying down anyway or relieving pressure from your bottom just to be comfortable and take the pressure off the area to allow things to heal better....once you are feeling better and ready to be mobile, I would recommend a very soft pillow or some of those soft squidgy beanie type pillows - this is what I used in the car when driving and for the first few days on my seat at work....
& No, no, no!! Stop the googling!! - What you have is not uncommon and can be cleared up so easily through very simple surgery - Please don't worry yourself unduly.....the best source of information is on this site and not all the horror stories you read on the internet, so stick with us!......I haven't read anything on anyone who has had incontinence issues following Fistula surgery, so don't be scared!! Wishing you all the very best. You will be fine :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here