Hi!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hi!

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 09:08

Hi everyone,
I just went and posted to the general discussion forum because I didn't want my intro to be too long. I've just started having problems and came across the board while doing a search and I'm so glad I did! I've been reading alot of the posts especially the ones about diet and fiber. That seems to be my problem right now, finding a balance. When I first started using Metamucil a couple of months ago my stools were soft and smooth, but now they are lumpy and twisted looking. Not hard that I can tell, but not soft and fluffy like they were at first. When I go, it stings right away and I know there will be blood on the TP. The Metamucil was recommended by my GP to make my stool soft, so I don't know what the problem could be. I'm drinking lots and lots of water. Anyway, I just wanted to say "hi" here to introduce myself.
Julie

Re: Hi!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Dec 2007, 09:32

Julie, you could try a "real" stool softener like colace, which is safe and inexpensive, or mirilax. Metamucil is fiber, and while fiver is crucial, too much can bulk up your stools and make things worse instead of better.
As for the water, that too can be overdone. 6 - 8 glasses a day is enough for most people.
Have you been taking warm/hot baths? They help a lot and can bring blood to the fissure site for healing...
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 09:53

Hi Kim, when I went in October to see the doctor he said something about not taking a stool softener because it could cause diarrhea and to just take the Metamucil. I think I may have gone overboard on the fiber. I've been taking the Metamucil 3 times a day like he said and every meal eating fiber-filled foods lke bean soup, bran cereal, wheat bread, etc. Kind of been living on anything with fiber. And I've been really, really thirsty. So, I've been drinking a bunch of water. Way more than usual.
I think I'll try the Colace for a few days and see if that helps. I hate the soft, burning stools, but I really hate these firmer ones that seem to cause the bleeding.
Yes, I have been getting a sitz bath at least once a day. It does feel alot better when I do. He didn't recommend it, but through researching I read about it and it seems to help calm things down.
Thanks,
Julie

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 10:11

Most doctors are novices in this area. They prescribe the same across the board recommendations without really stopping to see if it is working or not.

If fiber is not giving you the outcome you desire, then I would try something different. You can try, colace, miralax, milk of magnesia, aloe vera capsules.

Welcome to our board and I hope you find some answers within our pages here! Image

Postby juney » 06 Dec 2007, 10:25

i think stool softeners will be your best bet to begin with. i take 3 250mg docusate sodium pills a day (this is the same thing as Colace I believe). that's kind of a lot for someone just starting out, so you might want to take one every morning or every night. i've never had a problem with diahrea from stool softeners. also, you definitely don't want to get too much fiber. as long as you're eating fibrous foods all day you might not even need the extra metamucil. this may cause your stool to be too large. that's the problem with fiber. we need it, but we don't need to much of it.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 5 » 06 Dec 2007, 11:26

I never heard of colace causing diahrrea. I think that is just wrong. I took it daily for many, many months and I never once had diarrhea.
Metamucil may help with the softness, but it is primarily just a source of fiber.
I took citrucel and colace while I had my fissure.
Millk of magnesia can soften things well, too, but be careful not to use to large a dose. Try a half teaspoon at first, if you go that route.
And GOOD LUCK!!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 13:16

I bought the Walmart brand of Colace while I was shopping today and will take it for a few days to see if it helps. I got the kind without the laxative. I hope that was the right one to get. I try to stay away from laxatives as much as I can. My Mom was dependent on them for many, many years before she passed away. I told the doctor about that when I was there before he told me what to try. So, I'm wondering if you can get dependent on stool softeners. I know the bottle said to not take it more than a week or two, I think.
Julie

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 13:24

No, you won't become dependent on them. I just posted an article on constipation the other day in the general discussion forum that has a blurb about laxatives that might help you out. Docusate sodium (colace), miralax and Milk of magnesia only draw water into the colon so soften up things. It does not affect the nerve function of the gut.

I am not too concerned about becoming dependent if something helps. We are all dependent on one thing or another!

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2007, 13:53

Sorry you're having a rough time, but you're in the right place :) This board is a great support and you'll soon feel at home.
I take Movicol, which I think is the British version of colace, and my consultant told me it is safe to take long-term. I have been put on it indefinitely.
I understand your concerns, my Mum too was dependent on medicines to go to the toilet, she passed away 18m ago. Your Dr should be able to put your mind at rest, as Lecia says a lot of the medicines draw water into the bowel and you don't become dependent on them.
Welcome aboard :)

Postby val » 06 Dec 2007, 16:12

Hi!
If you're worried about dependency, have you tried taking flaxoil capsules/liquid, and omega 3 capsules. And the ol' favourite aloe vera juice? They all hep a lot and are natural. And you're definately in the right place here-someone will always have the answer you need! And the support is wonderful!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here