holiday looming!!!!!!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

holiday looming!!!!!!

Postby owmybum » 18 Sep 2012, 11:48

hi,
I have suffered with an AF since surgery for hem banding and skin tag removal back in feb '11. It has left me in constant daily pain ever since. I am undergoing treatment at the moment which consists of lactulose. 2x15ml a day, diatezaem (sorry cant spell!) and am under going pelvic floor treatment. There has been a small improvement since starting all this, but not what i had hoped.
Well, my reason for posting is that we have got a family holiday of a life time with the kids to disney florida coming up ( i am in uk) and i am dreading it! i dont want to make everyones holiday miserable by moaning constantly about my bum and frantically keeping to certain foods, meds etc.
Has any one got any tips for travelling, walking round for hrs etc without making things worse.
thanks in advance OMB x Image
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Re: holiday looming!!!!!!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 18 Sep 2012, 14:24

:D Hi OMB,
Sorry to hear you've been suffering a while and it does put a dampener on things such as holidays and normal routine because the fact is you are going to have to deal with that on top of the (pleasant) stress of having a holiday.
Just pack your fissure kit up like your wash bag (wipes/ cream/ painkillers) and try not to excessively stress about it all. You can easily replace your stocks of painkillers & wipes over in the US if needs be, the toilets are more than likely to be good and clean than if you were travelling somewhere more remote for example....You could always request cushions on the flight to try and make yourself more comfy and again, you'll probably have access to good wash facilities in your accommodation. Top up with the pain-killers. I wouldn't advocate taking them all the time but if they make you feel better, then you'll feel better and less likely to complain about it so much!....and just be sensible when it comes to eating - Opt for salads/ chicken/ fruits/ fish rather than the burgers/ chips/ deep fried stuff. Even if we go to McDonalds these days, I'll quite happily have a chicken wrap, side salad and bottle of OJ over a burger, fries & coke!
I went to Center Parks (UK) 7 days after Fistula surgery but it was so much better than I could have actually imagined! It also really took my mind of my bum and made me feel so much better in myself for getting away from my home and that bathroom I've spent SO much time in!!..........I went everywhere with a topped up water bottle, packet of baby wipes & painkillers but I was absolutely fine and had the best time I've had this year so far!! The discomfort is there of course but it's also about adopting a positive mental attitude and convincing yourself you will have a good time - no matter what! Have a fantastic time!!!!!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby owmybum » 01 Oct 2012, 07:39

thankyou for your reply ever the optamist. I will try to stay posative. Unfortunatly in the last couple of days, for reasons un known to me, i have had a re-tare and feel like i am back to square one with only 4 weeks to go. I have not done anything differently, bm are soft, but i am back to bleading again and in a whole lot of pain!
OMB
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby PinkSparkle » 01 Oct 2012, 08:37

Welcome to the forum!
-use a donut pillow (google it) when you have to sit on the chair for a long time
- eat flax seeds and fruits
-hot baths (sit with your butt in hot water at least once a day)
Good luck.
PinkSparkle
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby owmybum » 01 Oct 2012, 12:14

Thank you pink sparkle, I will look up the pillow.. Will be perfect for a 9 hr flight. X
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2012, 12:52

Hi owmybum,
Same thing happened me Saturday had a re-tear for no reason but fortunately for me I don't have much pain from it as Botox is still working. I'm sorry you are suffering & for so long. I can imagine your worry about your holiday but hopefully by then you will have healed some more. Think positive & have a great time.
Take care 😊

Postby owmybum » 02 Oct 2012, 12:02

Thank you bailey, I am bit worse today unfortunately, a lot of blood this morn, and I had to go into work early and that didn't help. No rest after my bm! I think I have gone back into spasm as things have gotten a bit worse. I have got 4 weeks to go to get things bare able again. How have you found the Botox? I have read so many different views on here I am not sure if I should try it or go strait for lis?
OMB x
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby Guest » 02 Oct 2012, 12:55

Hi again,
Sorry to hear your getting worse OMB, it's just an awful thing to deal with. Have you had any sort of treatment yet other than creams? I have found the Botox great for pain relief but unfortunately my fissure is not healing I am going to try it again in a couple of wks the LIS scares me. It will be my last resort. What is your next plan has your CRS discussed one with you?
I hope you start to feel better again so you can enjoy your holiday. I know if it was 2mths back & the pain I was going through I wouldn't have been able to go on holiday so I can understand how your feeling.
Take care Image

Postby owmybum » 02 Oct 2012, 13:22

Sorry to hear you are not healing like you had hoped, it must be really dis heartening for you. Maybe another shot may do the trick? Lets hope so.
As for me, I am currently on a pelvic floor program for 6 months so I will not see a crs again till next march Image I have said I didn't want any more surgery as that is what gave me the af in the first place, but since reading on here I don't think I have any other option now. My local hospital has withdrawn Botox... Says it can no longer fund it. I am now under the care of a different hospital as I lost all confidence in it. If I could afford it I would like to go private. But I have got 2 hopes of that.... And one of them is called bob !!!
Thanks bailey
OMB x
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby Guest » 02 Oct 2012, 14:04

Hi OBM,
I'm hopeful that another shot will do the trick too. I'm lucky I have health insurance but while I was waiting for app to see a CRS of my choice I ended up in a&e twice & got great treatment from them to keep me going. Where are you living? Is it possible for you to go to a&e beg for their help as that's what I did. it's a long time till next march.