How long can I take senna for?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

How long can I take senna for?

Postby Guest » 13 Oct 2007, 14:35

This last week I have become quite constipated again, well not constipated as such, but have been struggling a bit.
I have a lot of fibre in my diet, drink plenty etc etc.
This last couple of days I've been having bad pains again so I've been taking senna.....again
I was just wondering if this could make my bowel lazy if I take it a lot (I seem to be taking it more and more)
I've got exams on Thursday, I'm praying for one pain free day :roll:
Just one :D

Re: How long can I take senna for?

Postby Guest » 13 Oct 2007, 14:44

Hi there,
I don't really know much about how long you can take Senna for. It is a stimulant so it can affect the interaction of the nerves and I think you can develop a dependency on it after long term use. But that being sad, my CRS says she prefers people use that than other laxatives though.
Have you tried using aloe vera? I take 2-3 capsules a day and it is a mild laxative at that level. It is not as strong as Senna so there is less chance of having issues with a lazy bowel after stopping it.
But in the end, I think you need to do what you can to improve your quality of life and I don't think it is the end of the world if you need to be on something to do that.
What kind of exams do you have Thursday?

Postby Guest » 15 Oct 2007, 13:19

Thanks Lecia, I'll have a look for some aloe capsules tomorrow.
The senna has done the trick and I'm feeling less bloated again :D I just hope it stays that way at least until Thursday afternoon Image
Thankfully it's my final exam, I'm doing a Bsc Hons Psychology degree, it seemed like a good idea at the time Image

Postby Guest » 15 Oct 2007, 13:31

Yeah, a lot of things seemed like good ideas at the time! I can relate! :D
Good luck!

Postby happyass » 15 Oct 2007, 15:01

i think you can have senna in tea form on a daily basis as long as you don't over do the laxatives with something else on top of it. i know that drinking senna can be a lifesaver in times of the absent regular BM.
i would be okay drinking it as needed without worry of dependency if it is in tea form. i am not sure about taking lots of senna tablets though on a daily basis.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 17 Oct 2007, 04:45

happyass wrote:i think you can have senna in tea form on a daily basis as long as you don't over do the laxatives with something else on top of it. i know that drinking senna can be a lifesaver in times of the absent regular BM.
i would be okay drinking it as needed without worry of dependency if it is in tea form. i am not sure about taking lots of senna tablets though on a daily basis.

I think I'll have a look at macrobiotics when I get this exam over with. To be honest I'll try anything at the moment. That site you link to looks really good :)
This is like a rollercoaster, I really thought i was getting somewhere this time. You'd think after 7 years I'd have learnt :roll:

Postby Guest » 17 Oct 2007, 04:45

Lecia wrote:Yeah, a lot of things seemed like good ideas at the time! I can relate! :D
Good luck!