I look bruised, is this normal?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I look bruised, is this normal?

Postby Sarah J » 25 Jun 2012, 18:26

I am on day 4 post op and still in pain. I went in for a LIS and fissurectomy with the removal of scar tissue. They ended up removing hemorrhoids and a tag also. I expect the pain and had a little better day today than the others, finally! I hadn't looked at the site of the surgery to check for infection, which they said would be red and inflamed. Image I was shocked when I finally looked today, noticing that it looked like someone had a fight with my rear end. Image It was all bruised and still had some scar tissue as before, which I expected to be gone. Will the scar tissue go away on its own, and is it common and normal to be bruised? I hadn't heard anyone mention that so wanted to check before I go and call the dr.
Sarah J
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: I look bruised, is this normal?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Jun 2012, 02:38

Hi Sarah,
Good to hear you got through the surgery and sorry you're suffering a bit right now - but keep your painkillers at hand because it might be a more sore once that GA has worn off. Just expect that! It'll get better as the days pass...Don't worry too much right now about how it all looks. Speaking from experience following my op last week... when I peeked, there were purple and red bruises everywhere, so truly believe that was part of the surgery and how they position and poke you!! 6 days on and that has definately improved. Everything looked really sore, raw and red initially!! Scarey at first but is looking a lot better now!! Honestly.
Sorry I can't comment on the scar tissure aspect but you can always chat with your GP for some reassurance on this??
Just take it easy now. You are recovering after all and get all the rest you need. Try not to be too obsessive with peeking!! Easier said than done!.. and just have faith that your body knows what it needs to do in order to heal. Hopefully a few days from now, things will be looking and feeling much better. Healing hugs Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: I look bruised, is this normal?

Postby Kat » 27 Jun 2012, 00:08

Sounds like we're in the same place Sarah J. I am five days on from surgery and have plenty of black and yellow bruising going on. And likewise I am very sore. Every bm is excruciating at the moment but was surprised that even passing wind hurt as much as it does.
I gave away the prescribed pain killers (paracetemol coedine) pretty quickly as found even with taking plenty of laxatives and keeping my diet nice and soft and full of fibre I was still getting quite constipated tho i suspect some of that is cause I am so reluctant to have a bm that I am probably holding on longer than i should so am in a bit of a catch 22 at the moment.
Don't know about the scar tissue aspect.
I am taking faith in my doctor's comment that a few months from now I will ask myself why i didn't have the surgery sooner.
Hope you feel better soon!
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6