Introducing: CAR

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Introducing: CAR

Postby car » 22 Apr 2015, 21:10

Hi All,

I've been reading this forum for a while for tips, and I do thank literally everyone as I feel like I've read them all. I've been dealing with AF for about 2 years, but have no other major digestive or GI issues. Think mine was caused by an initial injury that just didn't heal well.

Right now I'm living pain free, but I'm on quite a LOT of miralax, so by no means cured. I'm trying self dilation using dilatan dilators, because I was having to progressively increase laxative usage and I thought I could reverse that trend and maybe heal things. I started super conservative at 7mm a few weeks ago, and am currently at 14mm.

Anyways, thought it was a little disingenuous to just lurk on this forum, although I'd bet there are more lurkers than posters.

I have no idea how to cure an AF, but for pain free try 3 doses of Miralax and 1 tsp of NaturalCalm per day along with a TON of water, and eat plenty of fiber. The dilation thing is pretty new for me, if that doesn't work out I'll try a LIS, but I'm pretty worried about that and really cannot take a week off life to recover (which is the minimum I think it would take me).

No time to write a really detailed post, but I'm sure I'll be back. My goal is to gradually increase by 1mm increments up to like 25mm dilation, and to use miralax to keep it fast and loose until I can do so, will check in to let folks know how it's going.

Thanks! CAR
car

Topics: 1

Re: Introducing: CAR

Postby Scientist2516 » 22 Apr 2015, 21:52

Hi CAR, thanks for introducing yourself. I'm sure the other dilators here, as well as those thinking of trying it, would like to hear about your progress.
You might heal if you manage to keep from tearing. I hope you do!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby car » 27 May 2015, 21:51

Well it's been about a month and I'm up to a 18mm dilatan dilator (which is the smallest one in that variety). I'm using nifed/lidocane, cocoanut oil, and sliquid lube. It's not pleasant, but at not super uncomfortable either, no sharp pain. I tried this 18 about 3 months ago and there was like no chance it would work, that was when I ordered the 7-14mm lol, so I think I'm at least making progress.

I've barely cut back on laxatives, only cutting half of the teaspoon of NaturalCalm which I'm pretty sure wasn't doing anything anyways, but I'm superstitious at this point.

About to try a 20mm in the next day or so and actually pretty confident about it. I've been pushing back a followup appointment with a proctologist to see if this works. If the 20 works out okay next step will be to order something slightly larger and cut back maybe half a dose on Miralax and cut out the Naturalcalm completely. Cautious. I really don't have time to miss work right now so surgery isn't really an option until later this year anyways even if it comes to that.
car

Topics: 1

Postby Scientist2516 » 28 May 2015, 08:41

Good to hear you are making progress. I think you are very wise to be cautious and take it slowly. Keep us posted!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16