Is exercise good or bad?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Is exercise good or bad?

Postby efr97 » 22 May 2016, 08:57

I'm thinking of running, swimming, upper body strength exercise etc. In the beginning I found that it irritated my fissure so I stopped, but my CRS suggested it could just be salty sweat irritating the wound.

How about bicycling? I haven't dared go on a bicycle for over a year now, don't want to take any chances, but would be delighted if anyone could tell me that it doesn't make things worse.
efr97
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: Is exercise good or bad?

Postby Manitourose » 22 May 2016, 10:23

I suppose it's just an inconvenience and uncomfortable when exercising and dealing with a fissure, as you said sweat irritating the wound. I found though that overall I felt better when I did exercise. Perhaps it brought more blood flow to the area and helped with healing a bit. I did bike a bit (both in the gym and outside) with my fissure and post fistula surgery, but couldn't speak from exercise about long bike rides.
You may have to test the waters (pun intended) on swimming and see how the water makes you feel. I stayed away from public pools and hot tubs post surgery just because of the surgical incision, but I wasn't advised against it for my fissures. Definitely worth a try!
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Re: Is exercise good or bad?

Postby Supersue » 22 May 2016, 11:58

I exercise on my bike 3 times a week for approx an hour each time. I was apprehensive at first, but I was missing my bike too much so I gave it go! I feel what I would describe as a burning sensation. Nothing too painful and the exercise does make me feel better in myself.
Supersue