Just a few Q's

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just a few Q's

Postby buttgirl » 11 Jul 2007, 11:30

If the creams do work for you, I hear they're quite helpful. didn't do too much for me though, unless I used enough nitro to give me a whopping headache and lower my bloodpressure noticeably.

I often wonder though if the dr.s aren't putting off our visits for a while to force us to wait and see how much we can heal ourselves. When my abscess I had for a year finally ruptured in Dec. it took my drs until Feb 8 to get me into the OR, even though the standard treatment for abscess is IMMEDIATE drainage. My CRS kept telling me to keep taking the antibiotics and see if it cleared up on its own.... by the time Feb rolled around I knew I needed the surgery.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby SunshineHope » 11 Jul 2007, 21:58

I was on Nitro, then my doc switched me to Diltiazem because the headaches and faintness were very frequent. Diltiazem has been fine, but as of late, ANYTHING I put on my arse just causes unbelievable irritation. After 5 or 10 minutes, it just starts itching so much. I've never had spasms of pain but I'm having spasms of itch and it's unbearable. I have two skin tags and the skin around my anus feels very cut-up - not normal. The skin tags get especially irritated/itchy.
It's not really the pain but moreso the itchiness that drives me insane, and just the disabling effect of this fissure. Today I was all ready to go to my cousin's house as a bunch of family was getting together for dinner, and I had a small BM prior to going. In a rush, I used toilet paper, and I was soo itchy too. Anyways, after a while, I started having this unbelievable itch -- I've never had anything like it. It feels like my skin tags are actually giant mosquito bites that will never go away Image
So anyways, I was in tears and walking liek a duck with my ass sticking out, when everyone was asking me why I changed back into my pajamas. Basically, I couldn't even go because the itch was so bad and my ass was so sore that it was hard for me to sit. I've had this fissure for OVER 6 months & have at some point in this whole ordeal been on either hemmoroid creams, nitroglycerin, diltiazem or aloe vera - and my diet has completely changed as well. I was handling it really well up until now but it's getting so bad -- whether I use aloe vera or diltiazem, I get soooo itchy that it's just unbearable -- nothing calms it except a 1 hour hot soak and I don't always have time for that Image
Sometimes even WATER stings especially after one of my itch (and yes i'll admit - scratch) fests. I'm trying to see if I can find another CRS that I can speak to before the 31st, or I'll just maybe stop applying any cream and continue with the diet. So far, vaseline is the only thing that has caused no itchiness/irritation. Everything else drives my arse wild
Gareth, you healed without creams? aah that sounds wonderful. I really want to stop putting things on my ass cause it's just bugging me.... maybe i'll try for a bit. Sorry for the long posts.. I'm on my knees now so i'm gona go lie down with the laptop & relax. Thank you all for reading this. xoxo!!!
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Deleted User 5 » 11 Jul 2007, 22:04

I've never had anything like it. It feels like my skin tags are actually giant mosquito bites that will never go away Razz
Wow, Sunshine, that description almost makes *my* tail itch!!!
Hang in there! I know the cream may be responsible for the itch, but i am afraid for you if you stop using it...your fissure pain/spasms will almost certainly get worse!!
Yes, relax, and just try to keep your anus dry, that may go a long way in helping the itch. Have you tried any talcum powder down there?
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 11 Jul 2007, 22:07

You poor thing. I wish I could give you a hug. I feel so bad for you. I know that it isn't good to overuse hydrocortisone cream but I think with the amount of itchiness you are having I would try that. Maybe if you can't take a bath you could at least hold a warmish/hot wash cloth down there.
I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I stayed in my pjs almost constantly for awhile when I had my fissure. I couldn't stand to have anything near it and the skin tags. I am glad you get to see the doctor this month.

Postby happyass » 12 Jul 2007, 05:13

sunshine,
did you ever try the vicks vapor rub? just put a very thin coating over the skin tag - not the fissure. i suppose if it gets into the fissure, it should be really okay but that is why i say to just start off with a very very thin coating.
it will take the itch away and even provide you with some relief.
yes, for some reason, i made it through really bad days and not a single prescription cream from my CRS. i think he was hoping too that i would heal with the diet change.
well it took about an extra 1.5 years to heal with a different type of diet change - macrobiotics - but it got done.
i can say that my fissure is healed and no pain inside my ass.
every now and then i irritate the skin tag so i just started to address this in acupuncture last week and so far i am having good results. the skin tag is getting smaller and smaller with a chinese ointment that the chinese doctor gave me.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby buttgirl » 12 Jul 2007, 10:41

What is in the ointment?

Sunshine, sorry to hear your woes. When my behind feels sore and chaffed, I have found Desitin or the generic brand to be very helpful. That is a zinc oxide cream with fish oil and vitamins A&D in it. It can be found on the baby isle because it is generally sold for diaper rash.

You may also find neosporin and/or tinactin helpful. (I try to use both at the same time, since I don't want to just kill the bacteria and let the yeast grow.)
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby SunshineHope » 14 Jul 2007, 23:53

Thanks everyone for your support & suggestions. Sorry I haven't wrote back in a while. I've been trying to get things back on track.
I wasn't really able to stick to the routine I was using (it wasn't giving me steady healing) so I bought a sitz bath & gold bond. Gold bond for the itchiness, sitz bath to encourage myself to soak more often. It's easier to take your pants off than all of your clothes Image
Anyhow... The gold bond I tried as well and at first it burnt a bit/increased itchiness (I probably put too much on) but after a while it provided some NICE cooling relief. My bum felt nice for the first time in a while. I don't know if I can handle diltiazem/aloe vera twice a day because of the itchiness but I'll try spreading thin layers and seeing. I apply it at least once a day if not twice but I'll try doing more.
Gareth, I found some vicks vapo rub in the washroom & I'll use it next time I'm having a rough time with the skin tags.
Aah, doing all of this I have some hope to carry me through til the 31st. I wonder how close/far my fissure actually is to being healed naturally - 1 month 2 month 3 4 5 6 or more? I'm just going to have to wait til the 31st and I'll decide about the surgery then.
P.S. I think my doctor WAS talking about the fissurectomy - I thought I heard him saying something about removing the fissure - but not sure.
Anyhow, haha. (so drained right now)
goodnight
xo
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38