L-Glutamine

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

L-Glutamine

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Nov 2006, 08:27

Since I started taking the L-Glutamine, the last portion of my BM every day has become too soft. This morning I had an awful burn. But the funny thing is, the leading stools were "normal" (but not hard) and they felt...GREAT. It was only during the final, loose barrage that I knew something was wrong then, Image Image Image
Cheeze!
I am so off this stuff!!!
On the mailing list, I know there are some who swear by it. Maybe it works. But for me, there is nowhere near enough evidence that it does anything.
What I have noticed is that many people "seem" to get cured magically by one thing. I wonder if, in fact, they were already about to heal and that one magic bullet was just a coincidence?
Hugh :joker:
Deleted User 5

Re: L-Glutamine

Postby Cheryl » 15 Nov 2006, 18:00

:lol!: After reading one person's great recommendations for L-Glutamine, I have been doing some research on the supposed 'miracle' cure.. and found absolutely nothing that can relate it to AF.
However, Check out this info on L-Glutamine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamine
It does go onto say that there have been several recent studies into the effects of glutamine and what properties it possesses, and, there is now a significant body of evidence that links glutamine-enriched diets with intestinal effects; aiding maintenance of gut barrier function, intestinal cell proliferation and differentiation, as well as generally reducing septic morbidity and the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Now this may be a long shot, but if by chance, you were to rid the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome - possibly you could have smoother/more regular BM's to give the Fissure the ability to heal...
OR, maybe you are right, that it was healing anyway with all the diet changes etc, and it was merely a coincidence.
Sometimes, I am in the belief that thinking positively can also have an effect on our health.. as for a miracle cure though.. I'm just not sure..!! Image
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Deleted User 5 » 15 Nov 2006, 19:29

cheryl wrote: "Sometimes, I am in the belief that thinking positively can also have an effect on our health.. as for a miracle cure though.. I'm just not sure..!! "

No way I could have said it any better. Image
Who knows, perhaps the Glutamine is working *too* well! Image
I, too have read the internet-resources about how good glutamine is for the *intestinal* lining, but I don't know how that equates to a torn *anal* lining that needs to heal.
And I swear, the only time I ever get that wretched burn that I had this morning is with those super soft mushy BMs. Today has been the worst day since probably early last September...horrible burning, multiple spasms, a sore butt all day and a couple more spasms out of the blue tonight. Takes me back Image
Deleted User 5

Postby Cheryl » 15 Nov 2006, 19:41

Hugh,
I had that horrible burning sensation too, and what do you know, it was when I had diarreah - as soon as i improved the consistency of the BM's It went away. :shock:
Oh god, sounds like today is not your day, get in the bath Hugh and try to relax.. get off the L-Goobywhatsit and back to your usual routine.. you seemed to be doing really well last week...
hang in there, it will get better Image
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 16 Nov 2006, 07:28

Cheryl wrote:I had that horrible burning sensation too, and what do you know, it was when I had diarreah - as soon as i improved the consistency of the BM's It went away.

Same burning I got before my last visit to the surgeon, after taking the fleets enema before his OR "inspection" to diagnose me. Or *any* time I had BMs that were too loose.
*BUT* Image so far this morning things are better -- no pain during BM and a spasm (I'm having it now!) an hour later the old routing. Perhaps the pain is longer and a bit more intense than usual, but I expect that after yesterday. I'm just hoping there was no re-tear, or major re-tear. So far, so good! Image Thanks for the concern!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2006, 16:28

yea its me the giz again..you know the ill cure it with brandy man.. ha ha..
dam it went away for two hole days..its now thur eve and i thought i was gonna cancel surgry for tommorow at 9:30... but i had to go out and clean the gutters on my home and get some air after sitting on the couch for 3 freakin weeks.................... its slow and mild but its back so i called this eve to confirm for tommorow...
this is so pissn me off that there isnt a 1 thing cure // we all get a broken arm they place it in a cast.. we all cut a deep cut they stich us... we get..ahhh damn..never mind.. i just dont understand this and tommorow if im not to chicken and show up for surgry.im gonna let them know..im payn cash for this ..my cash not insurance so dammit fix it right!!!..if i have to go back from this type of pain again..you will be seeing me on the news,,not in a good way.. cause im about to loose my freakn mind........
the way i think sometimes is that the way people are in this world..what happens if say: doc has went thru a divorse and she took him for everything..well maybe hell fix me just enough that i gotta come back again...for more of my $$.......... fix me right!! dam this!
the pain and shame i feel right now is making me feel like i gotta vommit....... things like a child would feel i guess.. omg what if i have a bm during surgry//
then they wanted me to sign a paper to video tape me for students.. your outta your freakin mind!!!.... i want this to be over.and i hope i go thu with it.
they got my certified checks already...yea checks!,, one for the surgy and one to knock me out..go figure.
im sick of this.

Good Luck!!

Postby Guest » 16 Nov 2006, 23:21

Hey Giz!!! Good Luck tomorrow. I hope everything goes well. I am 3 wks post op and very happy that i did the surgery. No more wasted days on the couch for me. :) Just make sure you are very careful with your diet and take daily sitz baths after surgery. Don't let the first couple of BM's discourage you, it gets better and better. Take Care and good luck. Keep us posted on your progress. I am sure you will do great.
Christina

Postby Cheryl » 18 Nov 2006, 07:09

Oh Giz, I hope you have now had the surgery and all is well.
Please remember that after the surgery diet is soooo important aswell as softeners such as Colace and Sorbital. Otherwise you can risk a re-tear and continual pain.
I totally understand where you are coming from, but i am nearly 4 wks post op, and things are really going well for me.. so fingers crossed, you will be in my boat soon
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 21 Nov 2006, 03:08

Giz I will be waiting to hear your recovery progress.. I am now booked in for surgery.. Im sure you will be much better soon
take care Image

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion