Leakage 8 months post-op?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Leakage 8 months post-op?

Postby Guest » 22 Jun 2011, 14:47

Hey Matt,
I am totally agreeing with you.I'll take this any day over shards of glass!!
So we have
2 who are around 4 months post-op( Bambi & Sphinct).
One @3 months post-op (Matt)
One @ 8months post-op (Me)
One @ 1 year post-op (NG)
and we all experience leakage at some time or another since surgery.
I am totally convinced that this is a side effect of the surgery. We all have different diets, take or don't take different stool softeners or supplements and everyone here experiences leakage with some days being better than others depending on what we eat?!
I think Paul's theory makes perfect sense. I'm just wondering if this ever stops?!!
I guess time will tell...

Postby Bambi » 22 Jun 2011, 16:15

Ok- I was trying to post a link to some exercises I found and then I had to switch from my laptop. I'll try to post the link in a minute, but now that I am reading Dawn's latest post and going back to see what Paul said, it is really saying something quite similar. I think that is what is happening.
And Matt, I really appreciated your post- I actually replied earlier and then hit the wrong button- it was a very hopeful and happy post and then of course, by this afternoon, things look different anyway. I did want to say that I unfortunately am caught in the vicious circle of not exercising as much because my bottom is constantly irritated and find myself eating like I am in a race! So I will think about those things. I thought I was going to think about them and then realized I ate my half a sandwich, applesauce and half an oatmeal cookie in 10 minutes at lunch! I think years of working in public schools may be the cause of this, but I have no reason now to be such a fast eater!
This has been one of those major up and down days for me. I won't go into the gory details- maybe just a little- I woke up really early to drive someone to the airport- had trouble with a too firm poop and just couldn't get things to come out and I refused to rush and push too hard. Came home an hour or so later and had a pretty normal one had a little come out later at a restaurant and was able to clean up successfully in the bathroom there without too much irritation which made me feel good. Drove around with my hubbie (who feels really good today after his treatment- yea!) and came home and had poop number four which has been now irritating the absolute heck out of me for an hour or so. I am really tired of this.
If I can post the link to this hospital site in the UK, tell me what you think. Personally, right now I'm afraid to push much at all and maybe that is part of the problem at the end. I don't know if I would be comfortable trying these exercises or not... What do you think?
And I know this sounds completely nuts, but today I really feel just demoralized by this afternoon when this morning felt like such a gift. Someone in this thread was saying it is that up and down that is so hard, and I agree! But no shards or glass or blood. This I must remember!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby Bambi » 22 Jun 2011, 16:18

http://www.stmarkshospital.org.uk/uploads/content/docs/patientinformationleaflets/patients%20leaflets%202009/Anal%20Sphincter%20exercises%20for%20leakage.pdf
The one thing I thought I might try is the thing they mention at the end about doing a little "milking" action on the toilet at the end...and maybe trying the footstool again- I tried that back in the middle of the fissure time after seeing it on Dr. Oz. Haven't used it since LIS though- I just use it to stack stuff on- wipes, Balneol, vaseline, what a depressing bathroom! I just don't want to hurt anything though by contracting the muscles or doing this wrong!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby MattMecham » 22 Jun 2011, 22:28

Bambi, I don't want to sound all yogi and mystical and what not, but I'm wondering if the stress of thinking about the irritation is adding to the discomfort and irritation. It's funny -- I've had a bad hip for about twenty years, and for the first four or five years, I was always grousing about it. But now, after living with it for so long, I barely notice it. I guess I've learned to live with it, and adopted it into my daily life.
I really don't want to adopt daily leakage into my daily life, but here's another funny thing -- it's almost become an automatic response after each bowel movement: wipe with paper, wipe with baby wipe, wipe with paper again, one more spit polish with a baby wipe, and then apply bag balm. All told, it takes about a minute and a half or less, and there is some irritation, but it is becoming sort of common place, i.e. routine. I don't know if the irritation is actually receding with time, or if I am becoming accustomed to it (like my bad hip), but either way, it doesn't bother me as much.
I don't know if that gives you hope or not -- it's just an observation based on personal experience.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby MattMecham » 22 Jun 2011, 22:31

Bambi, I gather from your post that you are a teacher (the only good thing about my fissure is that, by some weird quirk, it gave me the awesome power of discernment). I'm a special education teacher in southern Utah, teaching at an elementary school. I just finished my sixth year teaching, and it is an awesome career. Pay sucks, but what can you do? It has plenty of other benefits to offset the salary.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Bambi » 23 Jun 2011, 09:07

You know Matt, I do think there is something to that. Just this morning I was thinking- ok, so you know this is going to happen, so just plan for it and don't stress over it so much. I may have to try the Bag Balm although right now, the Balneol does seem to have an extra cleansing and then soothing effect. But generally speaking, it is primarily only when I have a day when I go more often that it becomes an aggravation. And I find myself worrying about when I am away from home and all, but like I said, yesterday I cleaned up in the bathroom of the restaurant pretty well- I wondered if someone would be knocking on the door soon and wondering what the heck was taking so long, but most of the time it isn't a "one staller" either. So I will try hard to "chill" about it more. I also can relate to what you are saying about other pains and such- I've had fibromyalgia for a long time and suddenly certain things will just hurt for no apparent reason. I rarely obsess about it now and just think "oh well" and that is no big deal. I am definitely phobic about that whole area down there and always have been and also am an extra sensitive person- tags and such bother me, things like that- so skin irritation things to me are worse than a deeper hurt if that makes any sense at all...
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bambi » 24 Jun 2011, 08:15

Hey Matt- somehow I missed your last post when I posted last! You do have those powers of discernment, but I'm guessing you had those pre-fissure.
Yes- I'm a retired speech/language pathologist- spent my whole career in public schools and very proud of it. I worked on a fabulous early childhood assessment team for the last 19 years of my work and most of our team stayed together through that time. Then gradually we started to retire one by one and were lucky enough to have wonderful people come in. Now we are all great friends and do a lot of stuff together- we used to travel together before my husband and I became so housebound of late!
We get together about once every couple of months with all the folks, even the ones still working. And we get together more often just us girls. In fact, if I can get my body to start my morning routine here, I'll be off to exercise with the wonderful special education preschool teacher who is my Curves buddy.
It is interesting, isn't it, how many posts this thread has gotten- I have to say that unless something bad happens in the next 10-15 minutes, things have gone better for me the past couple of days. I talked to my acupuncturist about what you said about the focusing on things and we agreed my "homework" would be to try to focus on something else when the irritation starts. Like just now, I realized my thigh itches, my ankle itches and I'm not falling apart about that...Of course, it's not the same, things being so sensitive "down there" but it does give some perspective. Part of my problem is I've always been overly sensitive anyway- a tagless shirt is my best friend! I worship those OTs and wish I'd had one as a kid- I really needed one!
Bambi
I am so thankful that this happened to me after I stopped working- it takes me so long to get going- I'm going to email the lady who coordinates the group here that does the school supply drive and volunteer again. I haven't done enough of that lately. I miss talking to little kids, but I don't miss any of the political craziness and constant changing of things. How our team ever managed to stay together for so long is beyond me. I just knew every year they would mess us up somehow because we were doing way too good a job- I bet you know what I mean by that.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 30 Jun 2011, 20:52

this almost sounds like a question we can post as part of the "survey" on the front page for those who have had LIS.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Bambi » 01 Jul 2011, 10:06

I had forgotten about that survey- that's a good idea Happy
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 01 Jul 2011, 11:11

I agree Happy. I think that's a great idea. It would be interesting to see the results.