LIS and pregnancy

Can pregnancy cause incontinence?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS and pregnancy

Postby luna18 » 20 Jul 2018, 08:37

Hello all,

I’m a fellow sufferer, been dealing with a fissure since January (so about 7 months now). I’m very young, only 21 years old, and would like to start a family in about 4-5 years or so. I always hear about the risks that LIS imposes in terms of child birth and how natural birth can damage the muscle even more- potentially causing incontinence. In my mind and thanks to advice from others on this forum, a simple solution to that just be to have a c-section.

My question, however, is whether or not having LIS can cause complications during pregnancy. Since you’re carrying another human, I can only imagine how much more pressure is put on the muscle down there. Can pregnancy itself cause incontinence after LIS? Or is it just vaginal delivery?

Thank you so much!
luna18
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: LIS and pregnancy

Postby missy moo » 21 Jul 2018, 21:06

People only get incontinence from childbirth if they tear from their vajj down an through their bum muscle which isn't a very common thing also people who have C sections also get fissures during an after pregnancy mainly because of constipation. Don't be afraid to fix your life now just because your worried that maybe something mite happen later on, why don't you try Botox for your fissure I had it done it didn't heal my fissure but it's improved my life alot also my fissure is nearly 5 years old so your more likely to heal
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Re: LIS and pregnancy

Postby missy moo » 21 Jul 2018, 21:08

Pregnancy can cause issues because of the pelvic floor gets weakened but that's normally just a bit of leakage of wee when jumping or sneezing things like that I've never heard of anyone not being about to hold their poo because of being pregnant before so my answer is no but you my want to ask your doctor
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37