LIS/Fissurectomy Coming Up!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS/Fissurectomy Coming Up!

Postby Brewmaster Mike » 18 Jun 2011, 06:30

So I had my first post-surgery BM last night before bed and it was awful with tight, clamping spasms of the sphincter. The poo came out loose, but I think the anticipation of it and the thought of ripping and stuff like that made it worse. I was literally shaking by the end of it and a hot shower didn't help much. The spasms were awful and woke me up several times throughout the night, even with several doses of Percoset. I'm still trying to control the spasms this morning. Is this common after surgery and what have people done to control it?
Brewmaster Mike
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby val » 18 Jun 2011, 08:44

Hi there,
post surgery BMs are just soooo traumatic - I'm on day three after surgery and I nearly throw up and faint each time, just from the thought of it.
Could you get a low dose of valium? Or another muscle relaxant. A warm sitz bath could help, although, again, it made me feel sick and squeamish every time I soak the wound!
It will get better, every day brings you closer to healing. These few days will be the worst, but it truly does get better.
Hang in there, take the pain meds, keep things soft - and I hope you feel better soon.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Brewmaster Mike » 18 Jun 2011, 08:59

Thanks Val. I had to keep a trash can nearby and the door unlocked for that BM in case I threw up/passed out, so I definitely know what you mean. Looks like we're going through this together. Let me know any good tips you find to make this easier! So far just eating and sleeping have been the best things I've done.
Brewmaster Mike
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 18 Jun 2011, 09:16

Yeah, sleeping is GOOD!! I found that taking my mind off it helped - we just watched some crazy funny films and I feel better today! Have you got someone on "slave-service" for you? Image I must admit, its wonderful not to have to cook or do ironing! Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Brewmaster Mike » 18 Jun 2011, 09:30

Yep, among my sisters, mom, and fiancee I'm very well covered. The Simpsons movie on TV is helping too.
Brewmaster Mike
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 18 Jun 2011, 22:17

Hey Mike,
I had some pretty bad spasms after my surgery. If you can get your CRS to give you some valium to take temporarily , it will help tremendously.
My spasms stopped immediately after I took the first one.

Postby Brewmaster Mike » 20 Jun 2011, 16:35

I hate to scare anyone who's planning on getting these surgeries done, but right now (4 days post-op) this really f***ing sucks.Every BM is the new most excruciating experience in my life. Today I've had 3 unfortunately and the last one I almost passed out. I took 1 valium an hour before it and 2 percoset when I felt it coming on. Then afterwards I took a sitz bath. These didn't help at all so I took a hot shower. didn't work so I filled the tub and soaked in hot water 20 minutes. Now I'm laying on the couch an hour later and it still hurts, though not as much. I thought the valium would help but I haven't noticed any effect from it (not tired, still spasming). Any other tips out there? I can't keep pooping like this.
Brewmaster Mike
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 20 Jun 2011, 17:16

Hey Mike,
StevePain had LIS/Fissurectomy. He described the pain as you are. It sounded like a living hell. I had Lis/skin tag removed and didn't seem to have the pain as you both have described. I think fissurectomies are much harder of a recovery from what I've read. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I'm sorry you are in pain. Hopefully Steve may come on and can advise you. I think it can be frustrating but only time will help.

Postby Deleted User 579 » 20 Jun 2011, 17:21

oh no Mike! I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. :(
Are you taking stool softeners, like Miralax? Do you think you should reduce the dosage a bit? Either that or keep the stool softeners, but use the painkillers to cope with the pain. Some people get immediate relief from the spasms, but many of us don't - I didn't, but my spasms weren't as bad as yours sound.
This really sucks! I'm so sorry. Maybe some other folks have better ideas for you. I really hope the pain stops soon Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Brewmaster Mike » 20 Jun 2011, 17:26

I stopped taking laxatives and softeners b/c I really don't want to go anymore. I really thought I had turned a corner today and felt a lot better but then the back to back BMs really took me back a couple steps.
Brewmaster Mike
Fibre Addict