LIS incision site questions

Please answer if possible

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS incision site questions

Postby msimon » 25 Nov 2014, 15:46

I'm so sorry worrier. Please try to not blame yourself. It is the job of the professionals to know what they are doing in order to avoid these sorts of things. I wonder if doing some pelvic floor muscle training exercises might help you. If there is a gutter where the internal sphincter was cut then maybe bulking up the surrounding muscles will help to form more of a seal. I have read that the internal sphincter only contributes 55 or so % to resting tone down there. In the meantime, the internal sphincter should regain some strength. I also read somewhere that application of phenylephrine hcl is thought to tighten that muscle up some. Here is Canada it is in a hemorrhoid ointment (http://www.preparationh.com/products/cooling-gel)

I also read about anoplasty procedures and fillers that can be used. There is also sphincteroplasty. I wonder who you could talk to about that. I suppose nobody will want to talk about that until some time has passed and it is determined to be a long-term problem. Do you 'feel' quite loose back there? Did your fissure heal too? Do you know how much of your sphincter they cut?

I, myself am worried that I have a lot of deformed tissue down there and it hurts more that my fissure did. Think i will have to get it removed which is to sign up for basically a hemorrhoidectomy (pain wise). I am feeling really frustrated and pissed with Doctors. I put my trust in him and feel totally let down. I can definitely relate. I also wonder if i have a gutter too.

Keep your chin up Worrier :hugs: It's got to get better from here.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Worrier12345 » 25 Nov 2014, 18:01

Thanks for replying owmybum, and msimon again I am extremely appreciative that you can take time to consider my situation when I know you are having a lot of trouble yourself. This forum has been a helpful solace when things have gone wrong, it is so much easier to talk to people who have been through similar experiences. The people I have spoken to face-to-face about my problems are either well-meaning but utterly clueless, or seemingly cold-hearted surgeons. Neither of which seem to help when you feel like you've hit rock bottom.

To answer your questions msimon, I'm not sure how much the surgeon cut as I still haven't seen him since before the op. I don't thjnk the fissure has healed yet, but bms are easy and painless and I do feel looser. If it is a muscle issue then I am hopeful that there will be some improvement over the coming weeks/months. If it is the guttering issue there must be something that they can do - as you say, bulking agents or anoplasty or something. I will cross that bridge when I have to I suppose. For now I have realised I need to snap out of my current depressive mindset. I am determined not to obsess too much, I will get through this and live my life, whether I have a leaky crack or not.

As you say - it can only get better from here on. It is still relatively early days for both of us - so I hope that we both see some improvements in the coming weeks. I wish you all the best in your recovery over the next few days.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Roidsfizzman » 25 Nov 2014, 18:40

Worrier,
I am sorry to hear to that you are having issues with keyhole leakage. Two weeks post LIS is way to early to tell if it is a long term issue. Your anal muscle tone is going to change, and the skin at the incision and fissure site are going to change over the next six months. I had the leakage issue for a couple of weeks, and it cleared up. For about three or four months post LIS, I did have issues controlling watery or loose stools. I am now 8 months post LIS and I am not have any issues with stool control.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby asdf123456 » 25 Nov 2014, 22:35

weird suggestion: try coughing strenuously when you are done cleaning up after each bowel movement. see if you can get the extra stuff out. I have had so many butt surgeries, including LIS, and I had some sort of drainage after each one. If I wipe my butt to complete clean paper, then cough/sneeze or whatever makes your butt muscles involuntarily clamp down, then usually just a little more poop will come out that was stuck somewhere in the folds and scars. It's worth a shot.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7