LIS Surgery Success or Not?

Surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Surgery Success or Not?

Postby kikaida » 25 Feb 2018, 12:23

I am not a candidate for surgery because I have thinning of my anus skin due to having three years of surgery for anal warts. But I was wondering when you have the LIS surgery does that resolve the anal fissure problem for good? Have some of you had a recurrence of anal fissures developing again after surgery? Please share.
kikaida
Fibre Addict

Topics: 10

Re: LIS Surgery Success or Not?

Postby Reliefatlast? » 25 Feb 2018, 19:23

I only had LIS just over a week ago but would be interested to hear if many people had continuing problems or a recurrence and how long that took. All going well for me but it's early days and I've tried so many treatments that I can't really imagine anything working long-term.
Reliefatlast?
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Feb 2018, 02:26

Hi I had LIS 16 months ago and now have a new fissure that doesn’t seem to want to heal. I have crohns and got it during a flare. LIS can’t and doesn’t stop fissure in itself it just makes them easier to heal. I have had a couple since LIS and they normally heal in a week with no spasms just burning.
This new one has brought a bit more pain with it.
The sphincter regains tone by 2/4 years it will be back to 80% so if your resting pressure was very high...mine was...then it could still end up above normal
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby chachacha » 26 Feb 2018, 08:23

I had LIS three years ago and have not had a fissure since. My CRS said that I'm unlikely to get another, but if I do, it should heal quickly (as mpb states above), because of the LIS cut.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19