LIS surgery Tuesday

Journal of LIS and recovery postpartum

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS surgery Tuesday

Postby msimon » 11 Apr 2015, 13:00

So glad to hear you are both doing well. Congrats on getting though the worst of it.

Do keep us posted on your follow up NDMK. I hope your appointment goes well and you get some good news.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Sufferingbadly » 12 Apr 2015, 10:39

Lol I just found your post which answered a lot of the questions I had for you. I'm so glad that your feeling better and better. One question is... Did you ever have the Botox done? I seem to read more negative on it than positive. I know that if these creams don't help me, that's what my CRS will want to try next :/ .
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Broncosgirl » 12 Apr 2015, 16:31

Sufferingbadly wrote:Lol I just found your post which answered a lot of the questions I had for you. I'm so glad that your feeling better and better. One question is... Did you ever have the Botox done? I seem to read more negative on it than positive. I know that if these creams don't help me, that's what my CRS will want to try next :/ .

Hi suffering badly,
I did not go the botox route for a few reasons. One was that through my own research and according to 3 CRS that I saw, botox is a gamble on its effectiveness and it often takes 2-3 applications each taking a few months. Also, the cost is high and not always covered by insurance. I wanted my butt issues to be over ASAP and didn't want to risk going through all of that and then having to do surgery anyway. Actually 2 of the 3 CRS said they typically don't recommend it unless you are at a high risk of incontenance from LIS.

All that to say, if the surgery risks are not something you want to take on, it is a good option and there are many on this form who have had success with it. Ultimately it's making the decision based on your lifestyle and current/future needs. I would talk with your CRS about the benefits and drawbacks of each treatment specific to your situation and then take a few days to process what makes the most sense for your lifestyle based on that conversation.

Feels free to ask me any other questions and I hope whatever route you take you heal soon!
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Broncosgirl » 13 Apr 2015, 09:34

So I am just shy of 2 weeks post op. Things have continued to be pain free with some mild itching.

Today I had a slightly harder BM and noticed blood on the toilet paper. There was no pain but I have not seen blood for about a week now. Does this mean I had a re-tear?
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 13 Apr 2015, 12:25

Was there much blood? Does it kind of sting? I always know when I tear as it gets throbby and sharp feeling. You may have just lifted part of a scab off or possibly opened the incision site or fissure a bit. I wouldn't worry too much as it is still early days and you may have this happen from time to time until the new skin becomes stronger. This could take months but is to be expected.

Are you still taking stool softens and drinking lots of water? Many do that for several months after the LIS and even after they think they are healed, just in case.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Broncosgirl » 13 Apr 2015, 13:49

Thanks for yor reply! I am still doing tons of water. I ate out for dinner and imagine that had something to do with it.

There was no burning or stinging or any pain at all. It was just the blood. I imagine you are right that it just was the surface of the wound healing and not necessarily the fissure reopening. These things can make you feel so paranoid. I will try to post again in the next few days to update which direction the fissure goes after this incident.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Broncosgirl » 14 Apr 2015, 21:15

2 Week Update:
The slight blood after my BM yesterday seems to be mostly gone today so I feel like it was not a major set-back. I had two pain free BMs today and the itching is almost gone as of last night. I would say that I feel about 90% back to normal 2 weeks after surgery and imagine I will be 100% by my post-op follow-up appointment in one week. I will give another update after that appointment.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sufferingbadly » 15 Apr 2015, 06:36

That's great news! I'm very happy for you :).
I saw my doctor today and we are still trying to figure out what's going on with me. My anus has been feeling sore non stop since last night. I had a bowel movement at 8am this morning but haven't had another one since even thought it has been feeling like I have to go. (I just haven't gone because I don't want to have to push the stool out). The sore feeling I have (esp on the right side) feels like, when you have a cut, the cut itself hurts, but also the area right around it is sensitive and "sore" feeling. So for me, for some reason I've had an extreme amount of gas, and when I pass the gas or it won't come out and sits inside me, it causes me pain, like a sore feeling, or sometimes it burns or feels like it's irritating whatever is wrong inside my anus. Anyway, my doc referred me for a second opinion and also to have a colonoscopy done. I hope to find relief soon so that I can move around like a normal person again instead of moving like I'm 90years old and about to fall over if I step wrong. The pressure and pain I feel is the worst when I am standing.
Ps... I just want to say that it feels so amazingly good to my mental state of being to know that I can come on a forum like this and talk about these things with people who actually can relate or have an open mind to hear and understand what I'm feeling! My husband listens to me but it's just not the same. He doesn't understand how I'm actually feeling and it's emotionally hard for me but talking with those of you on here, like bronco girl, make me feel better and not so lonely! Thank you for that!
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Broncosgirl » 15 Apr 2015, 11:56

Hi Sufferingbadly,
I truly hope that the doctor you will be seeing can help. As I've said before, the mental aspect of this problem is as diatressing as the physical. It is very nice to have others who can relate. I actually still get panicked each time I use the restroom. I hope soon this will be a thing of the past for you. Let us know what the new doctor says! I think it's so important with this issue to be your own advocate and gather all the information you can to help yourself heal and choose the best treatment.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Broncosgirl » 21 Apr 2015, 19:08

Week 3 Post-Op app Update:

So I met with my CRS today for my post-op appointment. I have had no pain since day 6 and about 2 weeks in the itching pretty much stopped. I still get itching every once in a while, but it's almost completely gone.

My doctor said the fissure looks completely healed as well as the surgery site. Since I had a closed LIS she said the actual surgery incision was just a small sliver and had probably healed within a few days. This is most likely why I could never see where it was.

My life is back to normal. My toilet anxiety is rapidly dissipating and I could not be happier to have had this done.

I think for me the most helpful lessons I learned were to do your own research so you understand this issue as best as you can, get a second opinion and interview a number of CRS before you pick one you like. It seems as though recommending surgery is something many CRS are very conservative in doing but that does not mean it isn't right for you. Listen to your CRS but also follow your own educated wisdom as you know your body best. Surgery isn't right for everyone, but when you need it, it can be a great option
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist