LIS Tomorrow

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Tomorrow

Postby 6Months » 10 Jun 2009, 11:16

Hello,
I apparently got a fissure back in January and have had it since. The docs kept telling me it was hemmorhoids but I kept going back because a couple hours after using the bathroom I'd be in so much pain I couldn't think straight enough to just lie on the floor and watch TV. Finally about 6 weeks ago my GI took a look and said it was a fissure and put me on nifedipene and told me to contact a surgeon. He said I wouldn't necessarily have to have surgery but I should consider it.
The morning I went to see the surgeon I had a BM and was in a ton of pain. I had given up on pain meds because I had started to get constipated off and on and was afraid they were causing it. So I hadn't been taking anything for a few weeks. I'm off the entire summer, so I kinda wanted to just get it done so I wouldn't have to worry about it in the fall. I scheduled it the next day. My pre-op was Monday and I was still thinking I needed the surgery because of the pain, which wasn't nearly as painful as it used to be but still considerable while sitting. Plus the doc had given me some hydrocodone to use when the pain kicked in after the BM because he could see that I was in a lot of pain and I was still having a bit of a spike every now and then while on it, but not too painful.
Now it's the day before surgery and I've had two BMs (the second one with a lot of blood), both fairly painful (but not the most painful I've had since this started). But the pain hasn't kicked in like it usually does. There's a light burning from sitting and earlier there were occasional sharp pains (but minor compared to what I usually get). Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake in scheduling the surgery. Of course, this isn't the first time it's tricked me into thinking it's going away.
I hate backing out at this point and I've been really nervous so I'm wondering if I'm just trying to convince myself that I don't need the surgery. But at the same time I'm wondering if it's a big mistake. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
6Months

Topics: 1

Re: LIS Tomorrow

Postby Deleted User 5 » 10 Jun 2009, 11:49

I wouldn't back out. Get your life back.
I was afraid of the surgery, too and I had my fissure for seven months. I thought I was getting better and I even called the surgeons office and cancelled, but it was a holiday weekend and the message didn;t make it. And I am so glad it didn't because the LIS worked for me and my fissure hell ended (well, after recovery)
Two things you need to understand about fissures...(1): they will fool you and make you think they are getting better and then BAM! they are back like a snake in the grass. This is not to say that you are not healing, you may be, (2): after three months your fissure is chronic and the chances of it healing on it's own go way down. way down.
Also, it is my belief that the longer the fissure lasts, the more scar tissue develops around its edges and this makes healing even less likely, its a vicious circle.
And pain you have right after the surgery (immediately after) shouldn't be any worse than the fissure pain, and hopefully they will knock it out with meds, but use them sparingly! You'll be sore down there for several days after the surgery but *sore* not in excruciating pain.
While neither I, your surgeon, or no one else can give you guarantees about the surgery, the success rate is 90% or better, much higher than any other more conservative treatments.
So, yes, I experienced something similar and I would have the surgery again in a heartbeat! If you have the summer to recoup then now is definitely the time, you really should only need 2-3 weeks tops and in about a month if all goes well your tail will feel like new. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Deleted User 5

Postby 6Months » 10 Jun 2009, 12:58

Thank you!
I've been sweating it since posting. I even tried calling his office but apparently got the wrong office and the receptionist (or whoever) sounded annoyed. It seems so odd. The whole week I had to take hydrocodone a few hours after any BM and today there's just a light burning with an occasional minor spike. It's just making me more paranoid considering how nervous I already was.
Before this I kept thinking about the fissure pain after the surgery. If they had done the surgery anywhere from 1-3 months ago I know the pain couldn't have gotten much worse than that. But now it's died down a lot from what it was.
He also said I was beginning to form a little of that scar tissue you mention on the outside of the fissure so I'm probably better off with it.
I've had surgery to remove a birthmark before and I've had two colonoscopies. I don't remember ever being this nervous/paranoid about any of that. I guess it's mostly because of where they're cutting.
6Months

Postby pinky » 10 Jun 2009, 14:23

Hello Newbie,
I agree with kim and even my advice would be the same.I suffered for 8months and LIS gave me a new life.It does fool you to think everything's normal and then one day,its back!!!!!!
u got the wrong office?maybe its a sign.
Its your decision at the end of the day as u will have to live with it.
Thiink about it.good luck with watever u decide
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Fissulyna » 10 Jun 2009, 16:23

I agree with all said above and no, I had no doubts I was doing the right thing. After my fissure healed completely and re teared agin and again I decided that enough is enough and wanted to be free from those shenanigans once and for all and get my life back !!!!
Good luck with whatever you choose to do Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Deleted User 5 » 10 Jun 2009, 16:23

What Pinky said is really the bottom line, 6Mos; in the end you have to decide how much you can handle before you give in for the surgery. No one can make that decision for you. I was actually more afraid of the GA than the surgery and the recovery. You should do just fine if you decide to go ahead.
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 10 Jun 2009, 16:27

I had my done with local +heavy sedation - so you have the option there too Image Also , 6 months is along period of not healing :( . One of CRSs I visited told me not to wait longer than a year or lots of scar tissue will form and make it harder to heal Image - so I thought - better sooner than latter and really - I was in so much pain that any "side effect" was not as scary as being in constant discomfort 24/7 and never knowing when it will open again Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby 6Months » 13 Jun 2009, 09:37

Hi all!
Thanks again for the comments. It was nice just to talk to someone about it before the surgery. So far it wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. With the little bit of meds I was on, the pain was less than even the reduced fissure pain I was experiencing at the time. It would spike every now and then (like one time the phone went off when I had drifted off and I jerked awake and caused myself a little pain). The only thing I'm not sure about yet is the BM. I've had a decent amount of gas but no BM yet. I just took some miralax to make sure things are still moving so hopefully things will come out ok. I'm trying to get away from the percocet, but the doc told me to be sure to take one before a BM and not try to bear the pain. So every time I think I'm about to have to use it I still take one. So far it's been a waste though.
Thanks again!
6Months

Postby Deleted User 5 » 13 Jun 2009, 14:00

So far so good then. Don't sweat the first BM, most people are pleasantly surprised at how well that goes...
I took my pain meds right before my BMs too for the first few days. You can judge after one or two days and see if you really need it or not.
Keep us posted.
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 14 Jun 2009, 09:32

That sounds great-for some people they feel noticeably better right after surgery but for others it can be a bumpy ride. Don't worry if you have some days that aren't so good in the meantime. It is all normal part of healing. Just keep your bowels soft and take the baths. Hope you are feeling okay today!