Longterm Use_Diltiazem 2% Ointment

Risks/complications of Diltiazem 2% Ointment Compound more than 8weeks.

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Longterm Use_Diltiazem 2% Ointment

Postby oceanedge » 12 Jan 2020, 08:17

Hello, I am a male, 56 years old; have had chronic fissures for over 2 years. I have tried several treatments: Nitroglycerin 0.4% (worked but had severe headaches), Diltiazem 2% (works for me), and Nifedipine 0.2% (didn't work for me). My issue is I use Diltiazem for the recommended 6-8 weeks, then I stop, and within a month after I stop using the Diltiazem the fissures and bleeding returns. I repeat the 6 weeks use of Diltiazem and the bleeding and fissures disappear, but after each 6 week treatment cycle the fissures return within a month. I have been going through this cycle for over 1 and half years. I have not used the Diltiazem past the recommended 8 weeks. Does anyone know the risks or complications of using Diltiazem 2% beyond (longer than) the recommended 6-8 weeks? Are there any studies which have researched the complications or harmful effects when a person continually applies Diltiazem 2% twice a day for longer than 8 weeks?

Any info is appreciated.
Thank you.
oceanedge

Topics: 1

Re: Longterm Use_Diltiazem 2% Ointment

Postby chachacha » 12 Jan 2020, 12:24

There are, but until you find one, I would check with your doctor. I used it for 6 months, years ago, because I'd read a study saying that 6-8 weeks is often not long enough, and had a history exactly like yours. I would get a fissure, use the diltiazem for 6 - 8 weeks, heal and then rinse and repeat, for several years in a row. I finally had LIS and am very glad that I did. Again though, you'll have to search online to find those studies, and/or ask your doctor if it's safe for you to do so.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby oceanedge » 12 Jan 2020, 14:50

Thank you very much, this info is helpful...much appreciated.
oceanedge

Postby chachacha » 12 Jan 2020, 17:02

You're welcome. I should probably add that I'm not certain that the diltiazem ever worked for me at all. A fissure's usual lifetime is about 6 weeks, so maybe mine was healing each time by itself. This seems even more likely, because even when I was using the cream for 6 months, I still had regular fissures throughout that time.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby oceanedge » 14 Jan 2020, 13:31

Thanks much!
oceanedge

Postby North West Jen » 14 Jan 2020, 22:58

Hello! I could not use diltiazem for more than 4 weeks without getting a rash. I would just about to start feeling like normal and would need to stop due to the rash and it would open back up within a weeks time. I’m scheduled for LIS on January 27th. Diltiazem is basically chemical LIS, so I would think if you respond well to diltiazem and heal but open back up that you would be the ideal candidate for LIS. Just my own personal opinion.
North West Jen
Salt Bather

Postby oceanedge » 18 Feb 2020, 13:13

Thank you very much North West Jen for the info. How are you doing after having LIS?
oceanedge

Postby North West Jen » 18 Feb 2020, 14:03

Hi! I ended up needing more than LIS so my recovery has been a bit rough. I have a diary on this sight if your interested in reading.
North West Jen
Salt Bather