magnesium citrate - or any magnesium mineral supplement

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

magnesium citrate - or any magnesium mineral supplement

Postby happyass » 09 Jan 2007, 13:53

what do you guys know about this?
from my readings of others elsewhere, they are taking like 600 mg of magnesium per day (spaced out thru the day; not all together) in order to help the muscles down there relax and the nervous system relax too.
i bought a bottle of 100 tablets, vegetarian friendly, dietary supplement - and take 3 a day - spaced out with meals. i started this on saturday.
i know i am able to sleep better taking this stuff! i've noticed that much. i am a bit more relaxed on the loo!
have not encountered diarrhea.
i'll keep it up..... :alien:
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Re: magnesium citrate - or any magnesium mineral supplement

Postby Cheryl » 10 Jan 2007, 04:13

hey Gareth,
i really dont know much about this at all sorry.. but i will be interested to see how you go with it...
C
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Deleted User 5 » 10 Jan 2007, 08:10

Gareth,
All of this is off the top of my head....but here goes...! Yes, magnesium does hold a lot of promise for many different ailments BUT its a mineral and your body can only deal with X amount. Also, other minerals also will need to be supplemented to "handle" the magnesium, calcium for for one! Make sure you take the "suite" of minerals (not just one to the exclusion of the others) and DON'T TAKE TOO MUCH OF ANY OF THEM.
I can't emphasize this enough!
I don't have the time to research this, but do look into it.

Hugh
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 19 Feb 2007, 16:53

Gareth - hope it's OK to call you this, although we haven't been formally introduced. I felt a little silly addressing you as Happyass in a previous post :oops:
I went to see my chiropractor/accupuncture doctor last week, and instead of actually treating me with accupuncture, he suggested two supplements. One is the magnesium citrate you mentioned, 150 mg twice a day with meals, and the amino acid L-arginine, 1000 mg twice a day on an empty stomach.
According to the flyer that came with the L-Arginine, it is used for:
Cardiovascular health - increases the production of nitric oxide, a substance that relaxes blood vessels;
Wound healing - arginine is a vital component of collagen and ...is therefore important for ...the repair and healing of injured tissues. (edited for brevity)
It is also required by the pituitary for production of growth hormone (anti-aging hormone) and is used to boost libido. Woohoo to both of those fringe benefits!
I've been taking both supplements for about a week now, and have noticed a subtle overall improvement. Whether it's due to the supplements (I also take fish oil and a wide-spectrum probiotic) or because the nifedipine is starting to work, I can't say. But any improvement is welcome, however it's caused!
Robin

Postby happyass » 19 Feb 2007, 19:53

thanks robin for an informative reply with your experience with the mag citrate.
i got scared because i began to feel abdominal discomfort in different quadrants after taking it for about a good 2-3 weeks. i hadn't had that feeling before and well, i was taking 600 mg per day.
so i quit.
my tummy is feeling way better.
however, i am now only going to the bathroom 1 time per day whereas i was able to go 2 times a day when taking the mag citrate. so i was sad to reduce my toilet frequency as i was feeling pretty light and healthy going twice a day :cat: :bounce:
today i got my first official acupuncture appointment. i haven't been getting good sleep and my back is all tense due to a car accident last month and well, i have been having mood swings lately. i am sure as the week goes along, i will be getting nervous about my colonoscopy next monday.
not scared so much about the procedure but i don't want to find out i have something terminal that will change my life forever. i already have enough on my plate Image
i love acupuncture..... :bouncy:
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74