Milk of Magnesia Lessons

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Milk of Magnesia Lessons

Postby juney » 25 Mar 2008, 09:58

julie - 40 grams of fiber does seem like way too much. personally, i always had bad experiences with fiber supplements. it made things too hard and bulky. i guess you just need to experiment with the fiber and see how much you can handle and still stay comfortably regular.

i'd start with 1 or 2 tablespoons of MOM. it's kind of another thing you need to play around with to see what suits you and keeps you comfortable. i can't imagine your surgeon advising you against using it, most drs from what i've seen and heard, seem to like it. good luck!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Sorerumpie » 25 Mar 2008, 10:31

Nancy - My hat is off to you ............... The very best of luck and success with today's surgery !!!!
John
Sorerumpie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Sorerumpie » 25 Mar 2008, 10:34

Fissulyna, Thank You, I WILL pass on TWO BOSSY WIVES .....
unless of course you're both feelin frisky ......... wink wink .....
Switched to Nefedipine cream from Nitro yesterday - feels totally ineffective compared to the Nitro so far. We'll see.
I have started taking one tablespoon MOM before bed ,and one at sunrise ................. OOPs ............. Awwwww Darn ..........
I Gotta Go ........... Darn............. Right Now !!!!!
Sorerumpie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Guest » 26 Mar 2008, 07:34

I'm going out today and will be picking up some MOM to try tonight. I was just reading some more about it and it says it's also an antacid. I have acid reflux (not bad, though) but enough that I've been on Nexium for a few years. I stopped taking it for about a year because my heartburn was better, but it started bothering me a few months ago.
My symptoms are a little heartburn and a sick feeling in my upper stomach. I wonder if MOM will help with that. My doctor has always given me the choice of taking the Nexium or not, that's why on my own I go off of it now and then. I hate to take a medicine unless I really feel like I need it. I was just wondering if there's anyone here with acid problems who is taking MOM and has it helped? Or did you still need to use Nexium or another medicine?
Still bleeding and scratchy pain with my BM this morning even though I'm using the nitro cream. It doesn't seem to working this time. And my BMs are just not soft like they were a few months ago when I first started taking Metamucil. Not sure what the difference is this time.
Julie

Postby Guest » 26 Mar 2008, 13:42

Okay, I bought the cherry flavored MOM and will start with a small amount tonight. I probably asked this question before or saw someone talk about this, but can't remember. Because MOM draws water into the stool like Metamucil does, should I cut back some on the Metamucil? I've been taking the full dose each day, 1 rounded tsp. 3 times a day, since December. I did take it this morning and should take the 2nd dose in a little bit. Not sure what to do.

Postby Fissulyna » 26 Mar 2008, 14:05

ha ha ha- OK , I don't think you have a saying in all of this Image , since the whole point of us coming is to "save you from yourself" Image and doing further harm to your poor sore rumpy !!! So, one more wrong move and you are in trouble "John" ; ) !
When we put you on "schedule" Image , you will have no time for friskiness,
trust me Image
All the best !
Jul - Metamucil does not draw water to the guts - it just HOLDS onto water that you drink with it - that is major difference between natural fiber and artificial stool softeners - hence - fiber is more healthy way of regulating BMs.
Since MOM and M. work different ways - I don't think you have to cut on it, actually if it works for you in any way- you should keep Metamucil in and use minimal dose of MOM that works for you. That is just my humble opinion,
of course Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby juney » 26 Mar 2008, 14:24

yah you might want to keep the metamucil, that way your bms aren't completely liquidy. especially in the beginning. like fiss said, metamucil doesn't draw water into the bowels the way the MOM will.
i've actually been considering adding a fiber supplement also, just to bulk up the bm a little and see if i can handle that. right now they're not liquid, just really really soft and piece-like. good luck with the MOM, i'm sure you'll find you like it and it makes life more bearable :)

btw - cherry is my favorite! it doesn't have that nasty chalky taste of regular.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 26 Mar 2008, 15:39

Thanks, Fiss and juney! I appreciate your help so much. I went ahead and took the afternoon dose because I was afraid not to. I figured I could skip the night dose if need be. But, I'll just stick with it and see how it goes tomorrow.
I just hope I can get the BM softer. It sure was uncomfortable this morning! Ow!