Milk of Magnesia

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Milk of Magnesia

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 03 Dec 2010, 20:40

Hey everyone! :)
I was searching for posts on milk of magnesia, and did find some info, but I was curious if anyone is currently taking it? My surgeon suggested it to me, so I am going to give it a shot, and was wondering if anyone else finds it helpful at all!
Thanks guys! :)
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Milk of Magnesia

Postby Guest » 04 Dec 2010, 23:20

I take miralax FF, but have taken MOM in the past for constipation. It was mild for me and didn't cause anything explosive but as you probably already know- things work differently for all of us. It sucks but we kind of have to just try things and see what happens Image

Postby Cagirl » 05 Dec 2010, 09:21

I was a nurse (haven't worked as one in a few years except in my own house lol). MOM was always second in line after Colace. I have also tried it recently after Colace failed (taking 3 in a day) so then I took a dose of MOM along with about 6 glasses of water and walking for ten minutes and it's worked like a charm! Nothing explosive for me either, but I seemed to be quite dehydrated at the time too. I will always have some on hand now.
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 05 Dec 2010, 10:16

Hey guys!
Thanks so much for your responses! :)
I have been taking 5 colace a day, and it doesn't seem to be doing a thing, so my surgeon suggested MOM before we try Botox. I now have 3 fissures :( and can feel each one of them! So, I have been taking it for the past 3 days, and it seems to really work well (thank goodness!!!) The first part of a bm is still a little rough, but after that is finally soft!! Woo hoo!! So I'm slowly increasing the dose at night, and hopefully I can get the first part as soft as the rest without any explosive results! Image
How have you guys both been feeling?? Cagirl, are you feeling any relief yet?
Dawn, are you still feeling great??
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Postby Cagirl » 05 Dec 2010, 10:44

Colace didn't do a thing for me, nor many others. I switched to Miralax, per just about everyone here and it's been "my knight in shining armor" as GP put it, LOL. I definitely don't need MOM now, matter of fact my bm's are a bit too loose.
I'm doing better today thanks. Hoping for better days and that my dh can go back to work tomorrow or Tuesday.
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Postby cherylk » 05 Dec 2010, 12:36

CG,
You can cut down your Miralax. No need to keep taking the standard amount. My mom only takes 2 teaspoons nightly. That is the great thing about it-the dose can be adjusted as necessary.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Cagirl » 05 Dec 2010, 12:41

Thanks Cheryl. I didn't take a full dose last night, but wow only 2 tsps., that's great! Ohhhhh.....there is hope!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 05 Dec 2010, 13:00

Hey FF,
I'm still doing really good, thanks for asking. I'm so happy with my results!
I just wanted to say:
I firmly believe that the tip of the stool being hard is because that muscle is in spasm and I think unless your bm's are mush or that muscle relaxes it's going to happen...

Postby cherylk » 05 Dec 2010, 13:56

I'm only taking about 4 teaspoons daily myself now divided into 2 doses. Taking my applesauce/prune juice/oat bran mixture has been helpful.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 05 Dec 2010, 17:25

Hey CG,
LoL knight in shining armor! I wanted to try Miralax too, mainly because of how great everyone on here says it is, and my surgeon said to try the MOM first because the Miralax can cause cramps and explosive bms?!
I'm fairly happy with what the MOM has been doing so far, but let me tell ya, if, in a few days, things aren't what I'm hoping for, I'm going for the Miralax! No more messin around! LoL Glad to hear you are feeling better! :)
Hey Dawn!
So glad you're still so happy with your results!! :) Its so nice to hear!!
I had always thought the same until (this may be way too much info) but I had such a hard time passing a bm one day, that I checked the "area" to see if maybe I suddenly had a hemmie too, and instead, I felt my bm, and it was just poking out, and was literally rock hard :( Lately it seems no matter how great I eat, or how much water I drink, that's just they way they end up :S I mentioned that to my surgeon, because I now have developed 2 more fissures because of this sudden change, and she suggested it could be from nursing my son, and suggested strongly that I mean him. *sigh* So since he is almost a year, and I have to go back to work soon, I'm going to give it a try!
The MOM seems to be working really well for me so far, so I'll just have to experiment with the dosage to see if I can get that first part a lot smaller and softer, and if not, I'm trying Miralax (called Lax a Day here).
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather