My CRS Appointment Today

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My CRS Appointment Today

Postby Guest » 26 Jul 2007, 18:34

Hey All,
I was going to write about this earlier but my five and a half month old had other plans for me at the time! Now that hubby is trying to put him to bed, I have a bit more time on my hands.
First off, the CRS was really nice. He was patient and compassionate and didn't rush me and my thousand questions. I was happy to overhear a conversation earlier between his receptionist and a patient who was trying to book an early surgery. The receptionist said that an earlier surgery couldn't be booked because the doctor wouldn't have extra time to ensure the procedure was done carefully. She said that most surgeons would go ahead and book in the time that was available, but this doctor refused to rush a procedure.
I was so nervous and tense during the exam that I think the surgeon thought I was in more pain than I really am! During the visual exam, he said he couldn't actually see a skin tag. The physical exam was brief because I was waaaay too nervous and he was being cautious. In any case, he felt the examination was "unremarkable." All in all, he feels the AF isn't chronic and that I should continue with the diltiazem. I asked about nefedipine--which he routinely prescribes--and he gave me a prescription for it upon completion of the diltiazem. I'm really curious to see if it works! By the way, the prescription for the nefedipine was pre-printed on his prescription pad! He must see a lot of AFs!
He told me to stop using the vitamin E (he said it wasn't necessary) and that KY jelly was okay to use for lubrication. In terms of stool softeners, he believes in natural methods: healthy food with fibre and lots of fluids. That's it! He even told me to cut back to one little glass of prune juice daily (lately I've been having a third of a cup in the morning and a third of a cup at night). He also told me to exercise! He said stomach exercises were especially good. I guess the exercise ensures a healthy digestive system. Oh yes, and I definitely shouldn't strain!
In general, right now, he doesn't think I need surgery. I go back in October and based on how I'm doing we'll discuss surgery as a possibility.
That's about it. We'll see how things go!
--Merita

Re: My CRS Appointment Today

Postby Deleted User 5 » 26 Jul 2007, 18:48

Sounds like you have a great surgeon. What sound advice, too! You should be happy and relieved to know your fissure probably is not chronic! The fact that he has nefedipine pre-printed like that just shows he knows more than many other doctors do about treatment options.
His exercise advice is great, and rings true, as exercise is indeed great for the digestive system. With an active fissure, though, getting adequate exercise can be challenging.
Keep us posted, I'd be curious to know if the nefedipine helps as opposed to the diltiazem..
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 26 Jul 2007, 20:03

Glad that you were impressed with your doctor and the visit. That must be such a relief to know you don't need surgery either and your doctor seems to have a real passion for treating AF!
That is great news and thanks for sharing!

Postby happyass » 26 Jul 2007, 22:52

excellent.....
well my CRS was just like that except that after two years which i never got prescribed the ointments, i just skipped to get the LIS and fistulotomy. i was in too much pain and said f((K it and was ready.
but things took a turn for the better and well, here i am.....at my four year mark (in a couple of weeks) and my fissure is gone without the ointments.
my CRS did me a great colonoscopy as i had no complaints or bad experiences at all. he was my first ever surgery experience.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74