My first fistula, with draining seton

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

My first fistula, with draining seton

Postby StephP » 10 Aug 2016, 16:32

Just wanted to post here, I was a member here about 8 years ago when I had terrible fissures caused by skin tag removal. I was in continual pain for well over a year while it attempted to heal. Since then, I managed to avoid fissures but I developed skin tags again, about triple the size but decided to just live with it rather than suffer all over again.

Unfortunately I've now been handed a new card, in the form of a fistula. 4 weeks ago I had a perianal abscess drained in an emergency op. In the op, they found a fistula so they also inserted a draining seton. The last month has been unbelievably miserable and stressful while I cope with post-op pain and new problems from the operation. They didn't give me any laxative when I was discharged from hospital and I had the worst constipation ever and basically ended up with new haemorrhoids and a lovely new fissure. Just perfect. However it's the fistula that worries me the most.

I spend every waking moment researching fistulas and surgery options.

I am in my twenties and can't afford to risk incontinance. In fact, in my follow-up hospital appointment, the surgeon didn't want to do any of those surgery options anyway because the fistula is quite high up. However, I was rather hoping for the option of fibrin glue to at least fill the tract, but he doesn't believe it's an effective method. He wants to do an MRI scan but says he will probably just take the seton out and leave it. This, in my opinion is a very risky move. The abscess will surely reform and cause bigger problems. I would rather leave it in.

I haven't found many stories of people having one fistula in their life, having no surgery or draining seton and being lucky enough to have no further issues. Maybe those people would like to speak up here? :)

My fistula drains constantly with no signs of reducing. Should I be expecting the amount of pus to reduce over time? Will that take weeks, months, years? Since it seems I will be leaving the seton in for a long time, I was just hoping that the amount of pus would at least diminish gradually.
StephP
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: My first fistula, with draining seton

Postby Dewlilly » 19 Sep 2016, 19:00

Hi stephp.. Sorry to hear of ur troubles .. I had the same as you .. Perianal abscess drained in ER then fistula ... I suffered very much with my fistula as it was a very long track .. When they drained it they went about 3-4 inches away from rectum instead of closer to the rectum to make it shorter ... My fistula would try to heal the exterior hole and skin would close over it trapping all the pus and discharge making even walking painful ... I would have to break the skin open to get relief .. Surgery was the only option to treat it .. They wouldn't know until they were inside what treat ment could done but the only way to rid of the fistula was to go ahead with the surgery .. I was told of all options but woke up with a fistulotomy and seton placed ... The seton stayed in 6 weeks and the open wound from the fistulotomy was to just heal from inside out .. No packing no stitches .. Just sitz baths all the time keep clean and let it heal .. The seton wad placed as mine too was high up and in the muscle .. I still had discharge and stuff during healing but it slowed over time ... The only way we would know if the surgery was a success was once the seton was removed and a week or 2 later the draining should completely stop and it did ... This was all like 3 yrs ago and knock on wood I haven't had any other issues .. One lasting affect is that when I need to poop I gotta go .. Not able to hold it for long or hold gas in .. My rectum isn't as strong as it used to be but no incontience at all ... What about a plug as an option ... It's only got a 50% success rate but might an option ... I had a friend who had 6 surgeries and only the plug worked... I don't think your fistula will ever just stop draining on its own ... Get a second opinion .. The pain I had with the fistula was worse then the recovery from the surgery ... Hope this settles for you and if yah questions I will try to help ... Keep me updated :)
Dewlilly
Salt Bather

Postby StephP » 20 Sep 2016, 13:21

Big thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear of your own fistula experience, but glad it has been settled for a long time, that's good to hear.
Despite the seton thread being in place, I still had a reoccurrence of the abscess a couple of weeks ago. I was given antibiotics which actually worked really well and for a moment I thought the fistula was getting better than ever. Alas, it has just gone back to being messy and painful, as before.
I may well go for the fistula plug actually, your words have encouraged me that I need to get it sorted. I had an MRI scan 3 weeks ago but have to wait till December to talk to the surgeon about the results (!?) crazy.
I'll keep this thread updated of any events.
StephP
Fibre Addict

Postby StephP » 02 Oct 2016, 11:30

So I am in the midst of another reoccurrence of the infection. Last week I could feel that throbbing and burning pain down the fistula tract. Because the seton is present, the extra infection is able to drain away ok, but it hurts quite a lot. This time round, the exit hole of the fistula is a lot more sore and painful. I can feel throbbing pain right into the buttock as though the fistula has branched in that direction. I have been on antibiotics for 48 hours with little difference. 4 weeks ago, the antibiotics had got me feeling better than I had done for ages in less time. So I am worried.

I am quite annoyed that I have to wait for MRI results which would surely give me some answers. My GP has said she will try and get my hospital appointment brought forward.

I'll keep this updated like my own little diary :)
StephP
Fibre Addict

Postby Mypoorbutt » 02 Oct 2016, 13:37

Hi, I really feel for you,
I don't have a fistula I have fissures...and IBD one of my friends on my IBD forum got rid of her recurring fistulas with oregano oil flushes you can google it and it does appear to have some success, I looked into it for fissures but as these are not caused by infection it didn't look like it would help.

She had had 4 fistulas and was considering a colostomy not just because of them obvs but the IBD too. Her doctors actually did the flushes for her she made up the solution and she would go once a day and the nurse would flush it through.

It may not be something you want to try but experiencing the disgusting NHS appointment system myself it might be worth a try whilst waiting.

Oregano oil is a strong natural antibiotic....I think you have to follow the instructions very carefully as from what my friend said if you start of with the solution too strong it can actually burn. You can do it all yourself if you don't feel like more trips to the docs.
You may have already seen this idea and tried or decided against it I just thought it was worth mentioning it to you

Take care
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?