My Public Outing

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

My Public Outing

Postby Tight5 » 10 Feb 2014, 10:41

Well, here we go...I have a fissure. Outside of my wife, mom and one close friend, I've not talked about it at all (who wants to hear about your butt problems?). It's been about a year and from what I've read here it sounds like my experience, as miserable as it can be at times, has not been as bad as many others'. It hurts when I go, sometimes quite badly. After that the pain can be anywhere from only mild itching/discomfort for a few minutes to intense stinging/burning pain for 6-8 hours...made worse by sitting. I don't think I have any of the spasm issues many talk about. Unfortunately I do desk-bound work so weekdays can be much worse. Weekends I can make sure I have something to do outside for a while which helps get through the discomfort. Even on the worst days I've managed not to let the condition significantly impact my routine.

But I'm one year on, have consulted with 2 doctors and done the high-fiber/water/keep-it-flowing diet alterations along with a couple of different cream treatments (no nitro as both docs say they see very little results from it) with no significant change. I'll occasionally have a few days where it almost seems like it's getting better but the pain, and occasionally blood, always returns.

Tomorrow I go back to the colo-rectal surgeon and will likely schedule LIS surgery while I'm there. I've been knocked out and cut open enough that this shouldn't bother me but it does. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but I'm really nervous about it.

That's about it. I just wanted to get my story out. I appreciate all the stories here and will be going through the Good News page as this all unfolds. I'll update when I can.

Thanks.
Tight5
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: My Public Outing

Postby Scientist2516 » 10 Feb 2014, 22:16

Hi Tight5,
Wow, a year of this, and no relief? That sounds pretty harsh to me. Also, the stinging/burning pain may well be spasms. It might not feel like muscle tightening, but I really think that's what it is. It took me a long time to realise that my pain was spasms. Anyway, it doesn't matter what you call it, it's still pain.

I really hope LIS is the answer for you. It sounds as though you've tried everything else. Good luck at your appointment! Let us know what happens.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Tight5 » 20 Feb 2014, 14:47

Yeah, I guess I can't rule out spasms...the doc and I have never really discussed it. But, like you say, pain nonetheless.

My appt. was delayed to yesterday by Atlanta's snowstorm last week. I'm waiting to hear from the CRS' office on scheduling the surgery but it looks like it will be late next week. I'm definitely ready to be done with all this. More as it happens...
Tight5
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby owmybum » 20 Feb 2014, 14:55

Welcome to the board tight5!

I'm glad you found us here! A year of suffering is enough for anyone to endure, I'm not surprised you are totally ready for surgery.
Let us know how things go...... Good luck!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !