New Member - Advice please!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New Member - Advice please!

Postby georgia11 » 03 Jul 2013, 05:42

Hello everyone,
I'm glad this forum exists as i'm fed up of reading different medical websites. I swear they just say the same thing!
Anyway, i'm 20 years old and have been suffering with an anal fissure for about 2 weeks now.
The pain and blood got too much that I decided to take some laxatives - as awful as that experience was, it stopped the blood and BM became easier. Now that's worn off, I'm back to the usual and this morning the blood and sting appeared again :(
I've been using babywipes after BM and taking regular hot baths as well as smothering sudacrem on to maybe help it?
My question is...can I take the laxatives again or should I not rely on these?
All the responses I've read online about the doctors is that they just give you laxatives anyway?
Hope someone can help me, this is literally hell!
georgia11

Topics: 1

Re: New Member - Advice please!

Postby Courtknee » 03 Jul 2013, 10:03

Hi Georgia,
For the 2 1/2 year I suffered with a fissure, I used Colace and prune juice. I would probably try and stay away from habit forming laxatives as your body becomes dependent on them. Miralax is also good because it's an osmotic laxative, meaning it just draws water into the bowels. Essentially prune juice has the same effect because of the Sorbitol in it. Also, you probably want to bump up your soluble fiber, like taking Metamucil. Insoluble will cause your stool to bulk too much and that might make for painful bowel movements.
Last edited by Courtknee on 03 Jul 2013, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction
Courtknee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: New Member - Advice please!

Postby marg6043 » 03 Jul 2013, 13:37

georgia11, hi there, most doctors will recommend that you used a mild laxative when you have an active fissure to avoid hard stools that will make the fissure worst.
I apologized for no giving more input on the laxative approach as my fissure was caused by excessive diarrhea, yes even diarrhea can cause a fissure.
I am wondering, have you seen a doctor yet? and what advised he gave you.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8