New, with questions

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New, with questions

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 08 May 2013, 18:25

Hi all... I'm experiencing my first fissure (two actually), but I've experienced terrible rectal pain before with recurrent thrombosed hemorrhoids. I learned how to control those with diet for the most part, but this...Whew! This is a whole new animal. I'm in my 6th week of dealing with it. I thought it would eventually just go away on its own, the way hemorrhoids do. I went to my Doc 3 weeks ago (fissure diagnosis), and to my GI a week ago. That's when I learned via a painful exam that I had 2 fissures and an internal 'rhoid. They sent me to a compounding pharmacy to get Nifedipine .3% Lidocaine 1.5% mixture, along w Protofoam for the 'rhoid. Yesterday I was at my breaking point when another hemorrhoid joined the party, an external one. I made an appt with a CRS for this coming Monday. Like everyone else here, I'm in extraordinary pain.
I had been doing an elimination diet for the past 3 months in order to try and figure out other inflammatory problems I'm having. Swollen joints, diagnosed as autoimmune, but not RA. I've been tested for almost everything. I'm wondering if my current condition is related to what's going on, or to the reintroduction of gluten (or other food). Does anyone here also suffer with any autoimmune disorders?
I'm also concerned about how to treat the fissures and hemorrhoids simultaneously. The rectal insert applicator is painful to use, but I'm agonizing through it. But what concerns me most is this: the 'rhoid meds are meant to vasoconstrict. Will this mess up the healing of the fissure, which is brought on by vasodilation? Am I correct in even thinking this?
My next issue is getting clean down there. Wiping is excruciating, even with moist wipes. I feel like no matter how much I wipe, there is still fecal matter at the anal opening. I'm worried about the fissures getting infected (I would have sworn they already were, but both docs said they weren't.) Has anyone ever had a fissure that did get infected? I'm terrified.
I have more ?'s, but I'll stop there for now. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
PS-I stll have my usual 2 BMs per day. I have been using Colace for weeks. I got Mirolax today also. I learned the hard way about nuts, so I'm now being very mindful of my diet.
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: New, with questions

Postby Savaici » 08 May 2013, 18:43

Welcome to the forum and just a quick reply as am using the tedious one finger writing mode on my iPad ...
I have Behcet's Disease, an autoimmune disease. Not fun!
I have hemmies but I just try to keep the fissure pain at bay and not worry about them.
Never wipe! I dab with dampened Cottonelle loo paper and finish off with Johnson & Johnson sterile pads which I wet and once again dab until clean. I also use a Sitz bath.
Don't worry about the fissure becoming infected. I have not heard of this happening.
Miralax should help, though I use Milk of Magnesia. Many on here have success with Miralax.
Just my few words and I am sure that you will get some other advice. Once again, welcome to the forum!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby marg6043 » 09 May 2013, 15:00

BootyMcOuchersons, Like savaicisaid sitz bath are good, they can give you great relief while cleansing the area.
I also use a Q-tip dip in vaseline or baby desitin and wipe the anal opening gently because like you said the area can be very sensitive and painful.
Also, because I am experiencing menopausal symptom of body aches and pain I did an elimination diet, it works, I had to give up my coffee and dairy, gluten is not problem.
I also follow an antinflammatory diet of protein drinks pack with berries, eliminated nightshade vegetables and drink two times a day ginger tea that I make myself with fresh ginger and Cinnamon, ginger is a great anti inflammatory and full of antioxidants.
You can research in the net for everything I just posted.
I hope you find relief soon.
I wish you the best.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby BootyMcOuchersons » 09 May 2013, 18:28

Thank you for your replies and advice. I will definitely try the Sitz bath and Qtips.
I had to leave work early today after a BM left me in crazy pain. I got my CRS appt moved to tomorrow morning. I'm anxious about the exam, but I'll endure whatever is necessary to try and help my situation. I'm praying that a surgery will not be the answer.
Finding this forum makes me feel better, knowing that I'm not alone with this condition. It simultaneously makes me sad that so many others are also suffering. I now understand that no one can truly sympathize unless they have had this almost unbearable experience.
May we all be healed, and soon.
BootyMcOuchersons
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2