No fissure, pain persists

Pelvic pain diagnosis

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

No fissure, pain persists

Postby SSK » 21 Jan 2014, 18:30

Hello all,

I had an exam under anesthesia and my CRS said there is no sign of fissure ( I have had 2 LIS procedures last year by a different doc).
He said he would not have been able to tell that I have had those surgeries had we not informed him beforehand. No sign of anything wrong in there. To my scared ears this was unbelievable!
He said my problem seems to be gynecological and I should consult someone who specializes in pelvic pain disorders. Hence begins another humongous task of figuring out how I can treat this monster. I am so tired, sometimes I wish I could just sleep a long deep sleep and wake up with no pain.
Wish me luck!
SSK
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: No fissure, pain persists

Postby Bettyblue » 22 Jan 2014, 03:54

I am so sorry to hear you are still in intense pain. Do your doctor test you to see if you have and hypertonic sphincter? Some times fissure heal but let you with this problem, so you will have constant pain and spams. I will pray that every thing get better for you, and that they can finally find the reason for your pain. Take care.
Bettyblue
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby tacobob » 22 Jan 2014, 14:59

There are times when the area where the surgery was preformed, acts as if its is a bit aggravated but I have to say there is no real pain. i talked to my surgeon about it and he told me that it was normal for the affected area to feel awkward for a long time after surgery, he told me that nerve damage in the area could take years to heal. But then again I'm pain free the area gets a little aggravated after bowel movements but a sit bath usually helps. I also still take fiber supplements and will probably never stop taking them. Good luck with your anus I hope you get to feelin better.
tacobob
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby hopefulbutt » 23 Jan 2014, 09:43

Ssk are you trying internal massage now? Biofeedback? My mom has done the biofeedback and found it to be very helpful. I also have seemed to help much pelvic pain with the magnesium I take. I pray for your complete healing.
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Postby SSK » 23 Jan 2014, 10:52

Thank you all for your suggestions and wishes. The doctor checked all my muscles and said the pressure was fine everywhere and the fissure looks like it healed long back.
I don't know how I developed this pelvic pain from fissure pain. I feel pain only in my left side and it's in my left butt, sometimes goes to lower back and leg also.
Hopefulbutt, how is internal massage done? And do you know how will biofeedback be helpful to me? I mean I read that they help you train to re-learn to open your bowels again. But I don't think I need to learn that. I can go to the bathroom just fine. It's the pain after that kills me.
I will look to find an Ob/gyn to she what they say. Endometriosis also presents as pelvic pain in a lot of women.
Any advice is appreciated!
SSK
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby tiredjay » 25 Jan 2014, 18:16

Hi SSK,

I am a man and am going through this exact same problem. I underwent an advancement flap back in May and my fissure has allegedly healed. My last appointment with my CRS was in late October in which he did a manometry after doing a physical exam and saying that there was no evidence of a fissure and that everything looked almost perfect (he said he could barely see the incision scars). After the manometry, he told me that my levator ani muscles were not relaxing or contracting. He said that this will get better over time but he referred me to physical therapy to speed it along. I have not gone to physical therapy yet because I was so scared of a re-tear (I thought I had a re-tear because of the manometry exam, but that healed a day or two later and I haven't had any problems since). My pain has slowly decreased over the months from being constant to every couple of days. I used to have an intense burning sensation that was always present upon waking and would only go away when I went to bed. Now, the burning comes occasionally after a bm or when I wake and stays for the rest of the day. Other times I have a feeling like someone is reaching into my rectum and pushing on the sides of my anal canal. However, this pain is entirely different than any of the pain I had when I had a fissure. I think it just comes from everything being inflammed down there that the surrounding muscles just tense up as a response. I hope that your physical therapy goes well and that you start to feel better (I made the decision this week to call and schedule an appointment).
tiredjay
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Alyssa » 11 May 2014, 16:24

I am also experiencing pain after my fissure has healed; I only had the fissure for about two months when I was told that it was healed and I was using nifedipine until Last week because i got an allergic reaction to it (burning, irritation, soreness). I've been using a&d ointment now but still have pain (soreness) after bowel movements. I just started seeing a pelvic floor physical therapist, I don't know if it will help since most of the exercises she gave me are to tighten my pelvic floor. I feel as though my anus is tight (although doctor stated that it is not) when I have a bm and I feel sore afterwards. Has anyone experienced this? How long before my anus will be normal and no pain with bowel movements? Are there any other medical options for people who still have pain (not severe) despite being healed from their fissure? I live in San Jose, ca.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Alyssa » 20 May 2014, 22:35

Has anyone had any improvement in pain with seeing a pelvic floor physical therapist?
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Alyssa » 06 Jun 2014, 22:46

I had a fissure for two months and it healed with nifedipine; after 6 weeks of being on the medication, I went back to the doctor because I was still having pain after bowel movements; dull rectal pain throughout the day but I was surprised to know that my fissure had healed. I've been to 4 doctors (2 general surgeons/ 2 CRS) and they all have stated that they don't see an active fissure and have referred me to a pelvic floor therapist; it has now been 3 sessions but it only provides temporarily relief just like like sitz baths. After being on the nifedipine for 6 weeks, I felt as though I got an allergic reaction to it so i stopped using it, I felt rectal burning/ stinging, lesions (paper cut feeling around my anus) so i started using A & D ointment, vaseline, coconut oil, vitamin e oil, tucks instead but realized that I only get temporary relief for a day and then the symptoms continue. When I have a bowel movement (without lubrication its worst) it stings and burns and sometimes I see a little blood (some bowel movements are painful and some are not); BM make the pain worst and other days it reliefs pain, my anus hurts (burning, irritation) when I sit for a long period of time; I feel dull ache (soreness)/ pain all day (pressure in the rectum as though I need to defecate and some days I don't). I have good and bad days in terms of pain ranging from 1-6 (stinging, burning), I feel as though my anus is tight but I have a normal sphincter according to the CRS. The odd thing is when I go in for an exam, I feel some pain during it but feel relaxed afterwards. My anus feels as though it is not stretchy, (paper cuts feeling around my anus like chapped lips), some days it is sensitive to the touch (inside and out). There is no visible irritation or redness (to me or doctors) but I feel as though I have it. When I don't add anything there it feels really dry and chapped. This week, I started to have painful bowel movements so I applied nifedipine; today is a good day but the constant ups and downs have me down. One day you feel as though you're getting better and then the other you're in pain again. I know I should not be complaining because there are others that are in much more pain than I am but I am desperate for answers. Any input would be appreciated...
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP