Nuts, Cheese and Corn OK?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Nuts, Cheese and Corn OK?

Postby mbpaul » 29 May 2011, 21:44

Hi All:
As you know I'm now post LIS. One truly great food sacrifice caused by AF is having to give up cashew nuts, cheeses (I am really crazy about all types of gourmet cheese) and those wonderful sweet corn that only Connecticut can produce.
My daughter last week gave me some cheese made from buffalo milk and I could not resist having it. That night I added 3 tbs of MOM just in case.
Now that I am three weeks post LIS, is it OK to reintroduce these into my diet? I am on stool softeners, and shall remain so - as Elphie would say - until the day of my last meal
mbpaul
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Nuts, Cheese and Corn OK?

Postby sidra1968 » 31 May 2011, 07:37

I eat whatever I want to, but I make sure that I chew more if it's chips or nuts.
Also, just like you did, when I eat meats and cheeses (for example the HUGE stuffed pork chop I had at a cookout Sunday night) - I more than doubled my Miralax that night. Seems to work, for me anyways....
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby mbpaul » 31 May 2011, 07:42

Great!!!
I only wish you had sent this post early yesterday. Went to a cookout and ate nothing. That really sucks. But, now I know. Thanks a lot :-)
mbpaul
Salt Bather

Postby sidra1968 » 31 May 2011, 07:55

lol
Sorry, I was gone.....
at another cookout Image
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 31 May 2011, 16:31

I ate corn all the time when I had my fissure and it never gave me problems since it just comes out in little pebbles anyhow :) So I'd peg that one as safe, I don't see any reason to avoid it unless it gives you diarrhea.
I'm mildly intolerant of lactose, so cheese always gives me the runs. Hence I typically avoid it anyway unless it's on pizza or cheeseburgers, in which case I go ahead and pay the price. But in my fissure days, I would try to avoid it because diarrhea irritates fissures pretty badly too.
I'm a huge nut lover (NO JOKES SIDRA!!! Image) too -- peanuts, cashews, brazil nuts, macadamias ... you name it, I eat it by the handful. For me, peanuts actually give me diarrhea while other kinds of nuts may constipate. Weird, but that's how it goes. So I'd say to be cautious here and work them in slowly until you get a sense for how you respond. IMO a good stool softener can make up for a lot of iffy eating, so if you're confident in your stool softener, I'd say that it's definitely safe to sneak a few in, and maybe more if you respond well.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby sidra1968 » 31 May 2011, 16:37

Completely agree with NG on the corn on the cob (or corn in general)..I'd say don't worry about that at all.
Oh NG, you never fail to make me laugh out loud!
sidra1968
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mbpaul » 01 Jun 2011, 17:11

NG, Sidra1968:
Thank you, thank you, thank you, ......
mbpaul
Salt Bather