Phillips Milk of Magnesia

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Postby bherna1 » 10 Jan 2009, 22:08

I wanted to thank whoever recommended using this product at night before you go to bed. It has done wonders for me and is better than the bulk fiber i have been using. It doesnt cause cramps and minimal effort is used in the existing process than the fiber. I eat at night around 6 then take 3 tsps with a large glass a water after dinner. I wake up around 6am and usually the process of BM starts. I have been struggling for years with predicting when a BM would come or stuggling on the exit process. This has done wonders in softening things up, predictability, lack of effort, less straining, less bleeding etc.
Again thanks to whoever recommended this product.
Best Regards
Bernard
bherna1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: Phillips Milk of Magnesia

Postby Corsi » 11 Jan 2009, 06:13

Bernard
Do you use other laxatives? Are you afraid of addiction?
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby juney » 11 Jan 2009, 11:31

bernard - i loved MOM and used it for about 10 months, everyday. i figured i'd be on it for the rest of my life and i loved the liquid BMs that just came right out without effort.
but be careful with it! i truly think the liquid/mushy BMs everyday for all those months made things worse in my situation. the acidity of the super-soft BM must have contributed to the chronic inflammation in my anal canal. it's not good to have that acidic stuff running through there everyday.
i never thought i'd preach the importance of a formed BM, but now that's what i strive for everyday. please be careful with the MOM!!
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2009, 11:41

I use MOM every night and have for about 1 1/2 years or so. If I don't I start bleeding again. But I can see how the softness of the poop might stick to the anal canal and cause inflammation, Juney. Hadn't thought of that. But for me, I know when I lower the dose I open up my incision again because that area is still so thin.
I think once it the intregrity of the skin gets better I will start to lower the dose but that might take awhile since I have had probably 15 procedures on that area.
I am glad it is helping you Bernard. You need all the help you can get trying to keep that area from being scraped and reopened every day. Take care buddy!

Postby Guest » 11 Jan 2009, 11:43

Plus, you are right about the predictability. That is such a struggle when you have to work outside the home and have kids to look after and you don't know when you are going to be debilitated for awhile. Knowing when it is coming helps to prepare. I understand completely!

Postby bherna1 » 11 Jan 2009, 23:15

Thanks to all for the comments about the inflamation. I didnt think about that. I probably use it for a week or so to see what happens. I can see that if it is softer it will stick to the walls of the colon and cause inflamation. If i feel that it is doing that i will back off. Again thanks for the information to both of you. I just want to stop the incisions from opening up while straining.
Best regards
Bernard
bherna1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby val » 12 Jan 2009, 02:21

I think when you've been in as much pain as you have Bernard and been through all that you have - then if you've eventually found something which works well and aids healing then I would continue with it for a while, if that was me! Have you tried just plain magnesium supplements? You can get the same effect with those.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2009, 09:31

Good point, Val!

Postby bherna1 » 12 Jan 2009, 10:01

I havent tried the magnesium supplements. I will give it a try and see what happens.
Thanks for the advise Val.
Bernard
bherna1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Corsi » 12 Jan 2009, 10:06

How long have you had a fissure Bernard?
Corsica
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18