Post fistulotomy and retear today

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Post fistulotomy and retear today

Postby thefer74 » 20 Jan 2013, 22:28

Hi
I am about a month out from fistulotomy, fissure repair and hemorrhoidectomy. The first 2-3 weeks were brutal. I finally hit the turning point or so I thought about a week ago. Pain decreased to just feeling uncomfortable. I take 1/4 tablet of percocet before BM's. I have stopped peri-colace because I am not taking alot of pain meds. I looked at it last night and it looked like it was healing. There is a bump at the edge of the incision.
Today, out of the blue and after a good BM, I retear the opening. It started bleeding and now it feels like a paper cut and lots of pressure. I ended up taking a pain med.
Did I do any damage?
thanks
Jennifer
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: Post fistulotomy and retear today

Postby richibeno » 21 Jan 2013, 07:34

Hi jen
Sounds like me .I went about a month doing great .then time to go back to work .got a bit nervous and had a messy bum.and had some blood OK n clean up.I've had a bit ever since but hope its getting better.I saw my nurse last week said Its healed externally.but did not know internally.this takes longer to heal .she said I have a couple of skin tags there as also .she saidy wound looked like a paper cut
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby thefer74 » 21 Jan 2013, 08:26

Hi
I felt very discouraged yesterday after it retore. I am hoping that this is a bump in a road and it will close. I don't see a nurse. I am supposed to see my surgeon in April. He doesn't want to see patients until they hit the 100 day post op mark because it is too painful. I did see him about 2 weeks ago because of concerns and he said it looked like new skin was forming.
I did go back to work about 2 weeks ago (Jan 7). It was rough the first couple days then I seemed to forget that I had surgery other than changing gauze during my lunch time. I had occasionally pain that took my breath away like leaning over to the kids level.
There are sometimes where I feel like I should get a 2nd opinion. I trust this dr and he is great but I can't believe it is still open a month out and I am still wearing gauze from drainage. I thought this would have ended by now. I also thought that I would be off pain meds full time but I still find myself having to take a 1/4-1/2 tab before BMs even if they are soft. I just get alot of spasms.
Are you finding anything that works to aid the healing?
thefer74
Salt Bather

Postby thefer74 » 21 Jan 2013, 20:45

Hi
I broke down and called my surgeon. I spoke to the assistant. At first, they wanted me to come in tomorrow. I said that if this is normal, why come in. She talked to the dr and said that this can happen with hard stool, but the goal is to keep it closed. I was told to add Miralax to my diet. The problem is that my stool was not hard. I do think it might be from eating eggplant (which as seeds) and tomatoe sauce.
Oh well, three steps forward, one back.
thefer74
Salt Bather

Postby richibeno » 22 Jan 2013, 11:38

Hey Jen
I agree I'm going to have to watch my diet ,I want this wound to heal 'going to cut down on treats no rubbish
I had 2 oaty bars yesterday 'tink te may have irritated me on the way out '
Here's to great healing
Health and happiness
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28