Post surgery update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Post surgery update

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Oct 2007, 10:26

Juney, I bet you can see now how not going regularlay, like you used to, can be a set-up for disaster. I'm glad the MOM helped, but you really don't want you stools to be liquidy too often if you can help it (and sometimes we can't). A liquid stool for meant the horrible burning. But I bet you are healing to the point where the burning isn't an issue anymore.
But do keep in mind (and it is obvious that you do) that regularity is so crucial in avoiding another fissure. But since you have had the LIS, another fissure would not be the nightmare the first one was!
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 30 Oct 2007, 12:21

Oh, Juney, that is great news ! Just be careful for couple of more weeks ; ). And no, I don't mix coffee with juice, ha ha, well that would make me puke instead of poop , ha ha ha!!! My bowels are VERY regular so drinking a normal coffee and having just couple of Bing cherries afterwords would make me run to the bathroom ; ). Adding prune juice to it all would make me go in my pants ; )))).
Please take care of yourself - K ?!?
Hugs
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby juney » 30 Oct 2007, 14:46

yes Kim i definitely want to avoid another fissure. first i want to get rid of this one though!
MOM will only be my back-up method in case i miss another day. i know a few people on the board take it regularly, but isn't that bad for you since it's a laxative?
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Oct 2007, 15:40

No, I don't think MOM is harmful as used regularly like other "laxatives." I have read about other AF sufferers who used it every day. It was just too harsh for me, turned things to mush and set my fanny on fire!!
Deleted User 5

Postby juney » 31 Oct 2007, 14:21

so...yet another bump in my road to recovery (and regularity). i'm extremely anemic (b/c of heavy menstrual bleeding caused by fibroids) but i've been avoiding iron pills for months because i know they cause constipation. but my dr told me yesterday that i have no choice, i have to get my blood cell count up or i'll need a transfusion. so i took 1 iron pill yesterday and, of course, i haven't gone to the bathroom today.
does anyone else w/ a fissure take iron? or any other vitamin/pill that causes constipation? how do you deal with it?
i've taken 4 250-mg stool softeners in the past 24 hours. can taking too many stool softeners have a negative effect?
i'll probably resort to the MOM again tonight.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 5 » 31 Oct 2007, 14:27

I don't think that the dose of Stool softeners you took is any real problem. I'd relax about that.
Yes, I would definitely try the mom, you need to go! :)
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 31 Oct 2007, 15:35

hi Juney,

I go though periods of time where I take MOM regularly, like 1-2 Tablespoons for 2 mos, every day. MOM is not a stimulant, so there is little risk of dependency, as I understand it. The trick for me is figuring out the right amount to regulate my bm without makinghtem too soft. I have IBS-DC, which makes the balancing act that much more difficult.

Right now I am off MOM, but taking mineral oil, which is basically a good old fashioned emolient. It's like olestra; it doesn't digest and basically just mixes with the poo and keeps it soft. I've never had problems with either. Actually, I've found both to be saving graces.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Fissulyna » 31 Oct 2007, 17:54

Oh, I like mineral oil !!! It lubricates guts so BM just slides out (sorry for the "visuals" ), but I can't live without it . It is one of the major things that helps me have painless BMs. My biggest problem now are spasms -giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiz, is there any end ???? Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 02 Nov 2007, 17:19

How palatable is mineral oil? I might try that sometime but it seems like it would be like clear valvoline or something. Do you just take a swig or mix it in something?

Postby buttgirl » 02 Nov 2007, 17:40

I just take a swig, 3T. It really doesn't taste like anything at all to me--kinda like a really thick water. I'm not sure how motor oil tastes, but I'd surmise that mineral oil is less metalic. :)

Wishing everone a good :pooh:

(poor pooh. I can't believe I just did that to him.)
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67