7weeks post lis and fissurectomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

7weeks post lis and fissurectomy

Postby Jsingh » 02 Nov 2013, 11:02

I had the surgery done in september2013 and now it is 7 weeks.Currently I have no pain during bowel movements and no bleeding but still don't feel right.I cannot sit ,have still got slight amount of whitish discharge.currently I also have started having this sudden feeling of intense pressure ,not a spasm but pressure,which is very uncomfortable.How long have people had discharge after the surgery and is this pressure feeling the rectum normal..It almost seems like something inside wants to fall out.Any input will be appreciated.Thanks
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Re: 7weeks post lis and fissurectomy

Postby Ever the Optimist » 03 Nov 2013, 07:17

Hi Jsingh,
Congratulations on getting your surgery out of the way and hopefully, you are now well on the way to healing.
It's going to take a little while but the fact you no longer have pain is a great sign.......Recovery is different for everyone and the time it takes also. The main thing is to ensure that you have a proper follow-up session booked, so your CRS can see exactly how you are healing and reassure you.
The whitish discharge could be exudate from your healing wound, which could be normal but obviously if it's more like pus or smells or itches etc. just get it checked for infection.
I've not had your surgery myself because my fissure did heal naturally after 14 months but I can absolutely relate to the rectum pressure issue you describe & I'm not ever sure to this date what that was, although I did believe it to be spasms at the time of healing. It started for me after my fissure started healing and I stopped using Diltiazem cream. It lasted a few weeks and drove me potty because I never knew whether I had trapped wind or needed to poop & tended to be worst in the evenings when I noticed it more. It was uncomfortable, it bothered me but the good news is it also passed - it just took a little while to do so. I attribute this now looking back, to part & parcel of the healing process (almost like another stage of healing that I went through) because there seemed to be all kinds of weird stages at that time. Of course, if it is worrying you to a great extent, please check in with your CRS for reassurance, although it could also be entirely normal following your surgery.
You are not the first one to raise this issue on the site, so I think it's a pretty normal thing for fissure healers to experience. Hopefully some else may pop on too to give their opinion on this one.......
Just try to stay relaxed, accept your healing may take some time & take things day by day.
People heal very successfully after surgery like yours, so just hang in there! You will get there in the end.
All the very best to you & stay strong :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Jsingh » 03 Nov 2013, 08:16

I have a follow up appointment with the surgeon coming up and I will post what he says....but thanks for your post..puts my mind at ease.
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Postby skumar » 05 Nov 2013, 14:31

Hi JSingh,

I have been suffering from fissure more than a year now and completely disturbed with this. It comes back whenever I think it's healing so now want to get over with this. My life has changed completely because of this. Very difficult to manage job and family with this problem and mindset. Have seen many doctors and they suggest I should go for LIS now. Your name says you are from India. I am currently in US and would like to know where did you get your LIS done? India or anywhere else? How are you feeling now? Were you scared going for this surgery? Please give me some more detail on the recovery part.
skumar
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Jsingh » 06 Nov 2013, 00:38

I had the surgery done in the US....I had to have this surgery done twice once in feb of this year and then again in September...the second surgery was needed as the first time they were very conservative...this should not happen in the hands of an experienced CRS but in my case it did.. I had a fissurectomy and lis the second time...the recovery has had it's ups and down but eventually things will get better..most people recover in about 6 weeks...in my case however the recovery has been slower ...I am in my 8 th week now......not healed but hopefully on the right track.....my advice to you is get hold of a good colorectal surgeon(not a general surgeon) and get this over with...you will not regret it....if you want to speak with me send me your no and will be glad to answer any questions...good luck..
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Postby skumar » 06 Nov 2013, 12:33

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I hope you feel better soon and out of this mess forever.
I am seeing Dr. Richard Moskowitz(CRS) and currently in NJ. How long it takes to resume the work after the surgery? If you are also in the same place then can I know about your doctor too. My doctor is the only experienced doctor covered by Insurance. There are very less god CRS in my area. I have read some post about people crying and dreading first 10 days of surgery, is it really that bad? Is there an email id where I can send you my number?
skumar
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Loves Tennis » 05 Dec 2013, 17:25

Hi Skumar, thanks for your private message for some strange reason it won't let me reply to you....sorry only finding you here now. I am so sorry for you, I know exactly what you are going through.......I endured 4 years of on and off agony, I had to give up my job, and nearly went out of my mind earlier this year, dreading going to the bathroom, to me the toilet became a torture chamber knowing I would have to endure hours of pain after a bowel movement (BM) but please hang in there eventually it will come good for you. You asked if I was from India I am actually from Ireland but a nutritionist gave me the tip about the Triphalia and it worked for me........it soften's the stool and I know my fissure problems were caused mainly from constipation so it is important to get it really soft but event that finally did not totally cure me, it helped but I had managed to reduce the pain from a firing 10 to a 1 and I put up with a pain level of 1 for months, taking pain killers 5 out of 7 days. In the end it was actually v simple LIS literally changed my life and I only wish I had gone for it years ago it would have spared me and my poor family so much horror and I really mean horror. Since having had the LIS on the 5th of October last I have had NO FISSURE PAIN at all, my poo just slips out but I also have had no probs with leaking at all. It took me a few mistakes to finally find the right surgeon, I had been to 3 others who did botox procedures / one also put me through a lot of tests including a colonoscopy.......totally unrequired, as I knew I didn't have Crohns disease....and I was right.

If your life is unbearable go and talk to a surgeon, mine said from day one that he could cure me, and change my life and he was right. He also said that it was obvious that my fissure would never heal without surgery and was only sorry that it had taken 4 years to sort. Please keep in touch and I really hope that it works out for you soon. Best of luck
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Loves Tennis » 05 Dec 2013, 17:32

Hi Jsingh, I think we had our surgery at around the same time for me it was about 8 weeks ago, two months exactly today........ I have had 100% success, no fissure pain, I only had the slight discomfort from the incision site and stitch. I think it would be a good idea as Ever the Optimist suggested to check if you have an infection a discharge still might suggest that problem but I really wish you a full 100% recovery too..........it is one of the most debilitating illness's every, I had breast cancer, went through chemo, Rad therapy lost my hair two years ago and I can actually say that having a fissure was worse than chemo !!!! My oncologist laughed when I said that but it was true..........thankfully that too is all behind me. Best of luck and fingers crossed for you !
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather

Postby Jsingh » 05 Dec 2013, 18:49

Thank you for your good wishes....today I am 3 months post op...the spasm,discharge and the fissure pain is gone but I am stuck with this nagging burning sensation around the anal rim...this just does not go away and has made me miserable...also I am unable to sit down ...the burning increases..hopefully this too shall pass but is surely taking its time....I am extremely happy for you now that you are fine as from your account you have also gone through a lot...good luck to all of us...would also appreciate replies from anyone going through these symptoms.
Jsingh
Salt Bather

Postby Loves Tennis » 06 Dec 2013, 09:26

Hi Jsingh, you have come a long way and it's wonderful that you don't have the spasm / fissure pain but I really hope that the burning goes away. Does the burning only come after a BM or is it there regardless ? is it a type of muscle burning or just a skin burning ? just thinking of ways I could help you..........I think I tried EVERYTHING in the 4 years I battled with my AF.
Loves Tennis
Salt Bather