Movicol Question

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Movicol Question

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Jan 2014, 04:38

Hi Phil,
Movicol can create the cramping you describe and it will take some time to adjust your in system, so it's good you've started with a minimal amount. Perhaps just persist for a while longer with it at that quantity and see how it goes?? I didn't use Movicol myself but Lactulose, which worked great for me and never gave me issues. It does take a bit of time and trial and error in getting dosages and soft softeners that really work for you.
I'm now a Magnesium convert but experiment with each thing individually & gently to see what helps as the body needs to adjust to all the changes. Within a few weeks, you should be able to assess what is working for you and what isn't.....
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Phil McCrackin » 05 Jan 2014, 09:03

Hi Ever The Optimist: Thanks for letting me know. Tonight I've tried a smaller dose (one level teaspoon). I had two BMs today. After the second the fissure started throbbing like mad. I spent about 6 to 8 hours in absolute agony and could barely sit down. I went to the chemist and bought a fresh tube of Rectogesic and have been putting it on 3 times a day. It burns like crazy going in, and sometimes I just have to dab it lightly on the fissure; especially after a BM!! I can't even consider putting my finger a centimetre in my butt. At night the fissure has settled down and after 2 applications of Rectogesic the 3rd (before bed) is easy to apply. I'm hoping the abdominal cramps aren't too bad tomorrow. Cheers!
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Jan 2014, 11:15

Hang in there Phil.......
It is torture when the fissure is new and you are in the first few weeks of dealing with it and the pain levels, but there will be something out there that will make you better and life won't always be like this for sure.
Are you having a warm Sitz bath/ bath after your BMs? and using a hot water bottle on the area really helps with the pain relief too.
Applying a generous dollop of Vaseline prior to each BM on your anal opening might also help protect your fissure and add some additional lubrication to the process.
If you purchase the Anusol (Hem) cream, you get a small syringe in the pack, which might help you apply the Recto a little more internally and that will help a little more....If Recto does get unbearable, it's also worth considering Diltiazem. This really helped me heal my own fissure and I was fortunate in that I didn't get any side effects using it.
Hoping the Movicol settles into your system quickly and things start to feel a bit better for you very soon :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Phil McCrackin » 05 Jan 2014, 18:08

@Ever the Optimist: Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've tried almost everything on this forum. And I WISH I was in the first few weeks, but I've had this for 3 years come February! Sitzbaths, hot water bottle, etc. But the Anusol cream with a syringe is something that would be worth considering.

I also tried Diltiazem but I think the pharmacists made it incorrectly. I've received 3 lots and they've all be really runny; to the point of not being able to even keep it on my finger. I was putting it on with an applicator but I had no idea how much was going in. It did nothing at all.. At least with the Rectogesic I can see that it's gone in. What was the consistency of your Diltiazem?

Cheers!
Phil McCrackin
Salt Bather

Topics: 6