Had my LIS, fissurectomy, and tag removal surgery today

LIS,fissurectomy and tag removal surgery today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Had my LIS, fissurectomy, and tag removal surgery today

Postby Hatetopoop » 10 Jan 2014, 17:57

Yay! The waiting is over and I had my surgery today for LIS, fissurectomy, and tag removal. I have to tell you the worst part of ot all was the waiting in the pre op room! I thought I was going to have a heart attack! however the nurses and staff made me feel so welcome and taken care of, my CRS surgeon was wonderful and that helped me calm down. They did give me a mild sedative before wheeling me into the room. It felt wonderful to sleep!
The surgery was only about 40 minutes and I had no side effects when I woke up almost almost 10 minutes after being wheeled back to post recovery. I had absolutely no pain and was able to sit comfortably. However by the time I dressed and was discharged I started to feel discomfort and we got to the pharmacy immediately to pick up my meds. He prescribed oxycodedone with Acetaminophen 5-325 mg. has anyone heard of this? I just took one a few minutes now almost 6 pm et and my surgery was at 11:40 am. I feel sore and achy, with discomfort.

Tonight nurse told me to continue the fiber pill and magnesium. Works we'll for me and stool softener.

So glad it's over but now the recovery is starting so a bit anxious if what tomorrow will be like. Have my site bath ready ,
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: Had my LIS, fissurectomy, and tag removal surgery today

Postby sotiredofthis » 10 Jan 2014, 18:43

Praying all goes well and uneventful for you. I haven't had surgery yet (it's probably in my near future) so I don't have any advice. Just know I'm thinking of you. Keep us updated whenever you can.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Hatetopoop » 10 Jan 2014, 19:29

Thanks so tiredof this...with all my fears, I kept reminding myself, I too, was "so tired of this" and glad I made the plunge. I hope to post a good success story in the short-term future. So far, so good....
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 11 Jan 2014, 04:58

All the very best to you Hatetopoop :)
May your recovery from this be a quick and as painless as possible!
Well done on getting it all over & done with :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby owmybum » 11 Jan 2014, 11:46

I'm glad it's all done, and everything went smoothly for you!!
I hope your recovery is as smooth as possible..... Keep those bms nice and soft!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby jr2 » 11 Jan 2014, 12:03

Hatetopoop!

Good luck with your recovery! I hope each day gets better and better and that very soon you will be forever fissure free!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Hatetopoop » 11 Jan 2014, 12:05

Thanks owmybum and jr2...today the pain woke me up at 4:30 am. I took two painkillers and it really helped. Now i am reading the painkillers are not so good to take. So I will need to research post surgery care as I am not sure what to do or take before the BM comes.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 11 Jan 2014, 12:18

Hatetopoop

The painkillers can be constipating. To counteract that, you may need to increase whatever you use as a stool softener. Do you take anything like Miralax or Movicol?

While it is important to use as little of the pain medicine as you can to prevent constipation, it's also important for your healing to have good pain control during your healing.
jr2

Postby Hatetopoop » 11 Jan 2014, 12:35

I have stocked up on everything. Before my surgery, I take fiber pill (psyllium husk) only one with a magnesium 400 mg each night. The magnesium also helps with my migraines. That is usually enough and I have a BM 1-2 times in the morning. The nurse told me to double up and take the fiber and mag twice per day plus a stool softener. I have the capsule form and also the Miralax. For some reason she told me to stay away from Miralax, epsom salt, and advil right now. I am a little confused. Do I want to have a BM the day after surgery or is it better to wait til the 3rd and after day? I am scared to have a BM. I had a LIS, tag removals in and out, and a fissurectomy. I am drinking plenty of fluids and soft foods, etc...I am confused on what to do now that I read the oxycodedone can be highly addicting and I know the acetaminophen is not good for my liver. Do you know if there are any post on after surgery care? I am looking but do not find it. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 11 Jan 2014, 12:51

There is nothing to be afraid of with respect to addiction and oxycodone unless you have other addiction problems already existing. First of all, there is a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation about narcotic pain relievers and their proper use in pain management. Using these medicines for post surgical pain is a safe and proper use of them and you have no need to be afraid of addiction when taking them in this way. (There is also a big difference between addiction and dependency, but you aren't in danger of either one as long as you are taking them as prescribed.). As far as the dangers of Tylenol, Tylenol has been around for a long time and is safe as long as it is taken properly. Do not exceed prescribed dosages and do not combine Tylenol with alcohol, which is dangerous for the liver, and you'll be fine.

As for when the best time to have a BM. It is going to be far more comfortable to have a soft, easy-to-pass BM than it will to have a large, hard-to-pass one. Generally speaking, that means getting things moving sooner rather than later. Not sure why they steered you away from Miralax except that maybe they were concerned you could get diarrhea if you've never taken it before. If you have experience with it and already know how your body responds to it, there shouldn't be any reason to stay away from it.
jr2