SPASMS TODAY HURTING NEED ADVICE DAY 3 POST SURGERY

SPASMS TODAY HURTING DAY 3 POST SURGERY

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

SPASMS TODAY HURTING NEED ADVICE DAY 3 POST SURGERY

Postby Hatetopoop » 13 Jan 2014, 09:00

Hi today I am hurting after day 3 post surgery for LIS, fissurectomy, and tag removal. I am spasming since my BM this morning, which was soft though it felt difficult to "push out". I know I shouldn't push, but I felt like I had to "go". I a wondering if its too soon to tell if the LIS was successful. My rectum has always been too tight and I thought the LIS would loosen up the exit door a bit so it would be easier to poop. Please advise...I am taking fiber (psyllium husk) plus 1-2 stool softeners 2x day. I read the psyllium husk may be bulking up. Should I switch to the Miralax instead? The nurse had told me to avoid laxatives so I am a bit confused as to what to do.

I do have painkillers--hydrocodedone with acetaminophen 325 mg pills but trying to avoid taking them as I heard they cause constipation. I took two tylenols yesterday 500 mg each and they did very little to relieve the pain after the BM.

Please advise if I should switch to the Miralax and if it's too soon to tell if the LIS was successful.

Thanks!
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: SPASMS TODAY HURTING NEED ADVICE DAY 3 POST SURGERY

Postby scared ann » 13 Jan 2014, 11:25

Hi hatetopoop ! I'm sorry about your pain. We have the same procedure....The first week of my surgery I took 2 stool softener in the morning and two at bed time with my Miralax .i didn't take any fiber supplement.dont forget drink lots and lots of water. My CRS said I can take the stool softener (colace) and Miralax the rest of my life.meaning it's safer than laxative . My CRS prescribe me Percoset but I only took them the first night of the surgery.then switch it to ibeprofin 600 mg. increase your fruits and veggies... God Bless
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby Hatetopoop » 13 Jan 2014, 13:07

thanks scared ann! I will try it tonight...Nurse said no ibuprofen because of blood thinning but it is the only thing that takes the edge of the pain other than percoset.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby scared ann » 13 Jan 2014, 15:30

Hi hatetopoop ! If your nurse told you not to take ibeprofin,don't take them.what worked for me that doesn't mean works for you... As what everybody told me drink lots and lots of water.how do you scale your pain? take iit easy.
God Bless....
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hatetopoop » 13 Jan 2014, 19:22

Scared Ann my pain today was in spasms about a 7. I could not sit or do anything to concentrate or relax until I took a Percocet. Finally that took the spasms and pain away.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby scared ann » 13 Jan 2014, 19:48

Hi hatetopoop ! Oh I'm sorry to hear that.are you doing zits bath? I didn't have spasm after surgery.so I guess I can't relate to that.but I've read that zits bath help to sooth the pain and spasm . If the Percoset controlled the pain take them just make it sure to drink loads of water and lots of fiber and you are good,and of course stool softener and Miralax....get plenty of rest...... God Bless
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hatetopoop » 13 Jan 2014, 20:07

thanks scared ann!
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hatetopoop » 14 Jan 2014, 16:10

HI scared ann, I took two advil today after my BM and it really took the edge off the pain, so I am going to substitute the percusett for the advil. The only thing I had a few shooting pains. I suspect that's the thinning of blood but if it means no contipation side effects, then the advil is better. Tylenol does absolutely NOTHING for me to stop the pain.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby scared ann » 14 Jan 2014, 17:17

Hi hatetopoop ! I'm glad that Advil works for you. I have the shooting pain too for about couple of days.and then went away.is it very intense?
God Bless....
scared ann
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Hatetopoop » 14 Jan 2014, 17:21

Yes scared ann, it's intense but very brief, thankfully.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist