LIS 3 weeks ago

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS 3 weeks ago

Postby RecoveringAF » 09 Feb 2014, 18:52

I've been dealing with fissures for about the last 8 years or so. Mainly a result of bad diet. Too much liquid (1000 cals/day of coke/beer) not enough fiber. Male 33 yrs old now. Saw a doctor about it for the first time about 3 years ago when decided it was time to clean up my diet after hitting the big 30. I thought things would heal, but never did. Spent 3 years trying every sort of diet and cream to manage it, but fissures kept getting worse. Spent a lot of time on this website as well looking for ideas and answers. The doctor started me with Hydrocortisone Acetate 2.5%, then moved to Rectiv, then Dilatazem 2% Lido 5%. After all this, I was still spasms to the extent that I could barely get the medication in with a Q-tip. After bleeding every day for a year, given up all other options, I decided to turn to LIS.

The LIS experience was pretty uneventful. Came out with very little pain. Was given Oxycodone for pain relief but never needed it. The incision Bled for about a week. Then started more just weeping brownish fluid from the site for the second week. Went back to work on day 10. After 2 weeks I stopped the sitz baths and stool softener and have been feeling normal for the first time in years. no pain or blood on stool. no fear of going. 3 weeks in, a little bit of weeping from the site and a little bit of blood from the incision on movements, but nothing compared to where I was. Working out again also (surf/jog/p90x). Been off of miralax now for a week for the first time in a year. As far as I know, the fissure itself is gone and in about a week or two the incision site should be fully healed too. Pain has gone from a 9/10 to about a 1/10. the 1 is from the incision, not the fissure. crossing my fingers and hoping this saga is over.
RecoveringAF

Topics: 1

Re: LIS 3 weeks ago

Postby Scientist2516 » 09 Feb 2014, 19:41

This is great, thanks RecoveringAF. It's always good to hear when LIS is successful.
Here's hoping you recover 100% very very soon.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16